June 8, 2013
Porter Memorial Gymnasium is beginning to look more and more like the architect intended. Workers who are restoring the Porterdale landmark continue to unearth the original design and this photo shows the central arch which will be brought back to prominence. "It was squared off when an unattractive, boxy front atrium was added," explained City Manager Bob Thomson. "The atrium was not in the original design drawn by the architect, Ellamae Ellis League." The gym, a gift to the city from Bibb Manufacturing owners Oliver and Julia Porter, was originally completed in 1938. It burned in 2005 and since that time residents and city officials have sought to restore it. The first phase of the restoration will see it as an open-air event space. - Special photo
Stories this photo appears in:
Work on the restoration of Porter Gym continues.