Eight months after a trio of ticket buyers split a $656 million Mega Millions jackpot to set a world lottery record, Powerball is offering up a prize that would be the second highest.
Atlanta's zoo is mourning the death of a male lowland gorilla. Zoo Atlanta says 50-year-old Ivan never regained consciousness after he was put under general anesthesia Monday for a diagnostic assessment.
The top two editors at the student-run newspaper at the University of Georgia have been reinstated after walking out along with other student journalists amid a dispute over editorial control.
For the first time in its 80-year history, Augusta National Golf Club has female members.
A Northern California produce supplier said Sunday it is voluntarily recalling romaine lettuce that was shipped to 19 states, Puerto Rico and Canada over fears about possible E. coli contamination.
Students who work for a University of Georgia newspaper are protesting a decision they say gives control over stories to non-students.
ATLANTA (AP) -- State labor officials say Georgia's jobless rate rose to 9.3 percent in July, which is up from 9 percent in June.. Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler says a main reason for the increase is a large number of temporary layoffs in manufacturing. However, Butler says many of
ATLANTA (AP) -- The Powerball jackpot has grown to $305 million for Wednesday's drawing.. The prize grew after no one matched all six numbers in the multi-state lottery drawing Saturday night. The winning numbers were: 4, 13, 39, 46 and 51. The Powerball was 1.. Though no one hit
Chick-fil-A set a one-day sales record on Wednesday amid an ongoing controversy over a company executive's public stance against same-sex marriage.
ATLANTA (AP) — The Justice Department is investigating claims of discrimination against students with disabilities in Georgia public school systems after a nonprofit group filed a complaint targeting the state's complex education funding formula, the group said Thursday.
ATLANTA (AP) — Forecasters say thunderstorms expected across north and central Georgia could turn severe Thursday.
ATLANTA (AP) -- Officials say they had no reports of major damage as strong storms moved through north Georgia, which had been under the threat of possible tornadoes as a large weather system pushed through the state.. Much of north Georgia was under a tornado watch for several hours Wednesday
ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler said Thursday that the state's unemployment rate has declined for the sixth month in a row.. January's jobless rate was 9.2 percent, compared to a revised rate of 9.4 percent in December. Butler said that figure is the lowest rate since March
ATLANTA (AP) -- Develop Dan O'Leary already has several key pieces in place for a $1 billion lottery gambling facility in suburban Atlanta: A contract on a 122-acre tract of land for the complex, a deal with a gambling company to help run it and an opportunity to win
GAINESVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- Authorities say West Hall High School went on lockdown thanks to an auto correct error in a text message that was sent by a student.. A student at Lanier Technical College sent a text message that meant to say "Gunna go to West Hall this afternoon"
Newton County News
- Newton Citizen Poll for March 9, 2014
- Newton Blotter for March 7, 2014
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Newton Citizen Poll for March 2, 2014
- Newton Citizen Poll for Feb. 23, 2014
- Newton Blotter
- Newton Citizen Poll for Feb. 16, 2014
- GPC closing
- Notice to RNC employees and customers
- All GPC campuses closed
- Newton Jail Blotter
- Rockdale Blotter for Jan. 3
- Newton Jail Log, Dec. 24-Jan. 1
- Newton Jail Blotter
- Newton Jail Log for Nov. 15, 2013
- Newton Jail Log
- Porterdale officer injured in traffic stop
- Newton Jail Log for week of Sept. 4 to Sept. 10, 2013
- Newton County Jail Blotter for Aug. 23, 2013
- Newton County Jail Blotter for Aug. 9, 2013
- Southern Belle named Business of the Year
- Planet Fitness opens in Conyers
- Decatur counselor expands into Conyers
- Covington's Mitchell named United Bank Employee of the Year
- Inspect-All Services honored by UGA
- Conyers' THP Printing acquires Forest Park business
- Stroke, bone density screenings offered in Conyers
- TONY WILSON: Glitches in healthcare.gov leave some without coverage
- Kohl's Cares offering scholarships for youth volunteers
- Salt of the Earth offers therapy room, massage