The Braves have traded Tommy Hanson to the Los Angeles Angels for former closer Jordan Walden.
FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan doesn't like to discuss his accomplishments for more than a couple of minutes. That's nothing unusual. Ryan never says too much when asked to consider his chance to become NFL MVP.
Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s championship hopes officially end Thursday when he’s ruled out by a doctor for the next two races following his second concussion in the last six weeks.
ATLANTA -- During their dismal first season, the Atlanta Falcons' mascot -- a real bird -- apparently decided he had seen enough bad football.. So, he picked up and left. Just flew away.. For the better part of the next four decades, plenty of Atlantans probably wished they could've followed
PHILADELPHIA -- Freddie Freeman hit a three-run homer to back Mike Minor and the Atlanta Braves roughed up Roy Halladay to move closer to clinching a postseason berth with an 8-2 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies on Saturday.
Tyler Austin is headed to Trenton.
FARMINGDALE, N.Y. -- Padraig Harrington found a way to take some of the attention away from Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy on Thursday. He made six birdies on the tough back nine of Bethpage Black and opened the FedEx Cup playoffs with a 7-under 64 for a one-shot lead.
ATLANTA -- Mike Smith isn't thinking about the opponent as his Falcons enter their preseason opener against the Baltimore Ravens.. There has been no game-planning in practice this week for tonight's matchup against the Ravens. Instead, the coach said he wants to use his first look at his players
Apparently, Tyler Austin is doing just fine.
Just a little bit short. Luis Trude scored a goal midway through the second half and goalkeeper Greg Hartley made big, second half saves as Chattanooga FC defeated the Georgia Revolution, 1-0 in the Southeast Conference championship game Friday at the Rockdale Youth Soccer Association.
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- A short ride to Sam Snead's playground is what Tiger Woods considers a good way to get ready for the British Open.
Tyler Austin is off to Tampa. The former Heritage stand out, who has shined in his third season in the New York Yankees organization, was promoted from low-Single A Charleston to high-Single-A Tampa Tuesday.
It’s another big weekend for the Georgia Revolution soccer team.
It’s been quite a 2012 season for Tyler Austin, and things got even better Thursday.
In a little more than six months, they shared the stage in a playoff, became fast friends through their faith and then partners in the Presidents Cup. Webb Simpson and Bubba Watson are linked again in ways they never imagined. Major champions.
Newton County Sports
- Heritage boys tennis season ends in Atlanta
- NFL Draft preview: Falcons want more spine in lines
- Rockdale girls ousted in opening round of state tennis tournament by North Cobb
- Pacers’ Vogel ‘coaching for his job’
- Murphy gets low medalist in region tournament, boys team advances to state
- Nine third inning runs give Alcovy 11-1, five inning win
- Eagles win a slugfest at Stephens County
- Shelton, Pats win region soccer title
- Spurs’ Popovich named Coach of the Year
- Knicks, Kerr might not be match
- Macon's Mercer University stuns Duke in NCAA Tournament
- Tech, UGA fall Tuesday in men's hoops
- Tech defense big concern
- Bulldogs' walk-on injures ACL while serving in military
- Georgia kicker arrested for BUI
- Tigers draft Farmer in fifth round
- Piedmont's Bailey named all-region
- Farmer set for MLB draft
- Farmer, Tech fall in deciding game of regional
- Neal named scholar athlete
- Levi ready for challenge to bring Alcovy basketball back to the top
- Family takes precedence over coaching for Bates
- 35 players on Citizen's all-area baseball team
- Rockdale's Sweat helps TGBA remain unbeaten
- Inductions still special to Ron Bradley
- Providence Christian School changing associations for second straight year
- Holtzclaw headed to South Gwinnett
- South fills girls hoops post
- Piedmont's Bailey named all-region
- Rockdale dominates all-area tennis team