Shortstop made a great showing in the World Baseball Classic
News and notes from the Atlanta Braves' spring training
The Brooklyn Nets are trying to acquire forward Josh Smith from the Atlanta Hawks.. A source told ESPN that the two sides have recently talked but a deal is not yet close.. The Nets are reportedly willing to trade power forward Kris Humphries and shooting guard MarShon Brooks to get
Hunter Mahan, who has long relished playing golf on the picturesque Monterey Peninsula, birdied five of his first seven holes on the way to a share of the first-round lead in the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am on Thursday.. The 30-year-old American fired a sparkling 6-under
The Atlanta Braves are looking ahead, not back. In the process, they hope to match at least some of their success from the 1990s and early 2000s.. Gone is the retired Chipper Jones, part of the Braves' record streak of 14 consecutive division titles.
Tens of thousands of Baltimore Ravens fans dressed in purple and black cheered, sang and danced during a celebration of their team's Super Bowl victory.. After a ceremony in front of City Hall that featured brief remarks from head coach John Harbaugh, the parade streamed past the Inner Harbor on
Tampa, FL - Tyler Austin has been invited to his first spring training at the professional level. The former Heritage stand out told MILB.com he will be invited to the New York Yankees’ spring camp next month in Tampa.
Smith says quarterback would have played in Super Bowl in two weeks had Atlanta won vs. 49ers
Hall of Fame baseball player Stan Musial, who used an unorthodox batting style to become one of the sport's greatest hitters in 22 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, died on Saturday at age 92, his former team said in a statement.. Musial, adored by fans for his humility and
ATLANTA -- The Falcons are well aware of just how desperate this city is for its first Super Bowl championship. Mike Peterson sees and hears it everywhere he goes.
FLOWERY BRANCH -- Michael Turner's trademark high-pitched laugh filled the Falcons' locker room.. Asked about San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick, Turner grinned Thursday and said "I'm glad I'm not on defense."
When Matt Bryant is on the sideline, fully aware the game might be decided by his right leg, he'll drape a towel over his head to shut out the world.
The Braves have traded Tommy Hanson to the Los Angeles Angels for former closer Jordan Walden.
FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan doesn't like to discuss his accomplishments for more than a couple of minutes. That's nothing unusual. Ryan never says too much when asked to consider his chance to become NFL MVP.
Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s championship hopes officially end Thursday when he’s ruled out by a doctor for the next two races following his second concussion in the last six weeks.
Newton County Sports
- Tigers repeat as Newton Cup wrestling champions
- Wilbekin’s career night leads Gators over Jayhawks
- Heritage splits doubleheader with Gainesville
- Parris resigns as football coach at Heritage
- Clarke Central downs Salem on hardwood
- Eastside sweeps Walnut Grove on the hardwood
- Plenty of interesting match ups as bowl season approaches
- Seminoles roll past Clarke Central for fourth straight
- Alcovy grapplers win Warhawk Duals
- Eastside, Newton sweep their opponents in weekend play
- Tech defense big concern
- Bulldogs' walk-on injures ACL while serving in military
- Georgia kicker arrested for BUI
- Tigers draft Farmer in fifth round
- Piedmont's Bailey named all-region
- Farmer set for MLB draft
- Farmer, Tech fall in deciding game of regional
- Neal named scholar athlete
- Oxford's Feldman stepping away to join company
- Salem grad Roddenberry receives school honor
- Levi ready for challenge to bring Alcovy basketball back to the top
- Family takes precedence over coaching for Bates
- 35 players on Citizen's all-area baseball team
- Rockdale's Sweat helps TGBA remain unbeaten
- Inductions still special to Ron Bradley
- Providence Christian School changing associations for second straight year
- Holtzclaw headed to South Gwinnett
- South fills girls hoops post
- Piedmont's Bailey named all-region
- Rockdale dominates all-area tennis team