The Southeastern Conference could be getting another makeover.. This one would have nothing to do with expansion. The league that has won six consecutive national championships has more coaches on the proverbial "hot seat" than in any recent year, with potential openings at Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky and Tennessee.
ATHENS -- Life is good for Malcolm Mitchell as he prepares for a season in which he won't have to choose between offense and defense.. Georgia has big plans for the talented sophomore on both sides of the ball. Mitchell was the Bulldogs' second-leading receiver as a freshman, and
ATLANTA -- Georgia State football coach Bill Curry announced Wednesday he will retire after the 2012 season.
The NCAA slammed Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal Monday with an unprecedented series of penalties.
Buck Farmer had to wait a long time, but the former Rockdale stand out got to hear his name called on draft day.
Gainesville, FL - One bad inning was enough to hand Buck Farmer and No. 2 seed Georgia Tech a postseason defeat Saturday.
Buck Farmer ran into some tough luck Friday in Winston Salem.
Buck Farmer was at it again Friday in Atlanta.
The Yellow Jackets are making their sixth straight NCAA appearance but have never won more than one game in the tournament.
Matt Humphrey scored 13 points, Ryan Anderson had 10, and Boston College held off Georgia Tech despite nearly blowing a 17-point lead on Wednesday night, beating the Yellow Jackets 56-52 for just its second win in 12 games.
Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville is sued Tuesday and accused of running a fraudulent scheme that bilked investors of millions.
Although the Oxford College men's basketball team had to put in a little overtime to close out the regular season, the Eagles will be more than ready when everything is on the line this weekend in the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association tournament.
The hitters in the Ohio State lineup probably wouldn't object to never seeing Buck Farmer again. The former Rockdale standout struck out a career high 13 in six innings of four-hit ball in Georgia Tech's 12-4 victory over Ohio State on Friday at Russ Chandler Stadium. Georgia State's Jake Dyer, a Salem graduate, tossed seven innings of eight-hit ball, and allowed three earned runs in the Panthers' 8-5 victory over Austin Peay.
OXFORD -- Oxford College freshman guard Alex Ordu was named the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association's Player of the Year on Monday. Also, three Newton players were named to the Region 2-AAAAA team.
Miami star big man Reggie Johnson is deemed to have possibly taken improper benefits by the NCAA and is forced to sit Sunday when the Hurricanes hosted No. 15 Floria State, but it didn't matter as UM shot the lights out for the in-state rivalry win.
Newton County Sports
- Willette,Wilson lead All-Citizen cross country teams
- Georgia’s Floyd named to 2013 SEC All-Freshman Football Team
- Floundering Falcons mount youth movement
- Niagara shuts down Davidson
- Tigers repeat as Newton Cup wrestling champions
- Wilbekin’s career night leads Gators over Jayhawks
- Heritage splits doubleheader with Gainesville
- Parris resigns as football coach at Heritage
- Clarke Central downs Salem on hardwood
- Eastside sweeps Walnut Grove on the hardwood
- Levi ready for challenge to bring Alcovy basketball back to the top
- Family takes precedence over coaching for Bates
- 35 players on Citizen's all-area baseball team
- Rockdale's Sweat helps TGBA remain unbeaten
- Inductions still special to Ron Bradley
- Providence Christian School changing associations for second straight year
- Holtzclaw headed to South Gwinnett
- South fills girls hoops post
- Piedmont's Bailey named all-region
- Rockdale dominates all-area tennis team
- Johnson goes to backup after crash
- Braves' winning streak grows to season-high 11
- A-Rod suspended through 2014 season; 12 others for 50 games
- Ten in a row for Braves
- Braves run win streak to nine games with extra-inning victory
- Braves bats show up just in time
- Gruesome injury ends Braves pitcher Hudson's season
- Falcons look to rebuild offensive line
- Braves lose to White Sox 10-6
- McCann to replace injured Freeman at All-Star Game