A story about Manti Te'o's girlfriend dying of leukemia, which the Notre Dame All-American credited with inspiring him as he led the Fighting Irish to the BCS title game, turned out to be a hoax apparently perpetrated against the linebacker, the school said Wednesday.
Alabama beat Notre Dame 42-14 in Monday's BCS title game in Miami. The Crimson Tide won a second straight national title and third in four years.
The Southeastern Conference could be getting another makeover.. This one would have nothing to do with expansion. The league that has won six consecutive national championships has more coaches on the proverbial "hot seat" than in any recent year, with potential openings at Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky and Tennessee.
ATHENS -- Life is good for Malcolm Mitchell as he prepares for a season in which he won't have to choose between offense and defense.. Georgia has big plans for the talented sophomore on both sides of the ball. Mitchell was the Bulldogs' second-leading receiver as a freshman, and
ATLANTA -- Georgia State football coach Bill Curry announced Wednesday he will retire after the 2012 season.
The NCAA slammed Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal Monday with an unprecedented series of penalties.
Buck Farmer had to wait a long time, but the former Rockdale stand out got to hear his name called on draft day.
Gainesville, FL - One bad inning was enough to hand Buck Farmer and No. 2 seed Georgia Tech a postseason defeat Saturday.
Buck Farmer ran into some tough luck Friday in Winston Salem.
Buck Farmer was at it again Friday in Atlanta.
The Yellow Jackets are making their sixth straight NCAA appearance but have never won more than one game in the tournament.
Matt Humphrey scored 13 points, Ryan Anderson had 10, and Boston College held off Georgia Tech despite nearly blowing a 17-point lead on Wednesday night, beating the Yellow Jackets 56-52 for just its second win in 12 games.
Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville is sued Tuesday and accused of running a fraudulent scheme that bilked investors of millions.
Although the Oxford College men's basketball team had to put in a little overtime to close out the regular season, the Eagles will be more than ready when everything is on the line this weekend in the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association tournament.
The hitters in the Ohio State lineup probably wouldn't object to never seeing Buck Farmer again. The former Rockdale standout struck out a career high 13 in six innings of four-hit ball in Georgia Tech's 12-4 victory over Ohio State on Friday at Russ Chandler Stadium. Georgia State's Jake Dyer, a Salem graduate, tossed seven innings of eight-hit ball, and allowed three earned runs in the Panthers' 8-5 victory over Austin Peay.
Newton County Sports
- Pats take two from Alcovy on volleyball court
- Williams looking to wave American flag again
- Late error gives Eastside win over Lady Tigers
- Rockdale volleyball wins 2 of 3 in Houston County
- Bulldogs, Patriots kick off football season tonight
- Schilling: Chewing caused cancer
- Experience could be decisive factor as Rams begin play
- Watson thirsts for first taste of Ryder Cup success
- Seminoles drop a pair in volleyball season opener
- NCSS stops fall baseball from before it starts
- Allen signs wrestling scholarship with Chattanooga
- Levi ready for challenge to bring Alcovy basketball back to the top
- Family takes precedence over coaching for Bates
- 35 players on Citizen's all-area baseball team
- Rockdale's Sweat helps TGBA remain unbeaten
- Inductions still special to Ron Bradley
- Providence Christian School changing associations for second straight year
- Holtzclaw headed to South Gwinnett
- South fills girls hoops post
- Piedmont's Bailey named all-region
- Retired Atlanta Braves broadcaster Pete Van Wieren dies
- Baseball Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn dies at 54
- Atlanta Falcons to be featured on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'
- Spurs keep their cool in Finals opener vs. Heat
- Brother of Atlanta Falcons' Roddy White dies in shooting
- Atlanta Braves release new renderings of Cobb Co. stadium, mixed-use development
- NBA bans Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life over racist comments
- Former NFL wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson arrested
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- American flag catches fire during Atlanta Braves' opening day ceremony