Will Muschamp is stepping down as Florida's coach after the regular season, forced out after a four-year tenure that will be remembered for inept offense, conservative play-calling and nearly as many losses as wins in the Southeastern Conference.
Clemson freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson returns at just the right time for the 17th-ranked Tigers, who travel to No. 23-ranked Georgia Tech on Saturday for a critical ACC matchup for both squads at noon on Saturday.
One of the storied rivalries of the South continues between Auburn and Georgia with the two teams meeting for the 118th time at 7:15 p.m. at Sanford Stadium on Saturday.
An accrediting agency sent a letter to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on Thursday, asking the school to prove its compliance with the group’s standards after a probe found that more than 3,000 students received credit for fake classes.
Southern Cal cornerback Josh Shaw claims to be telling the truth this time about the events leading up to his decision to leap from a third-floor apartment balcony.
Running back Todd Gurley is back at practice, his four-game NCAA-levied suspension from the Georgia Bulldogs complete, but he won’t be available for comment until coach Mark Richt decides it’s time.
LSU’s three-game win streak has featured two of the staples of coach Les Miles’ tenure — a powerful running game and a swarming defense.
One of the most pleasant surprises on the Georgia Tech defense has been the play of true freshman KeShun Freeman.
After a disappointing loss against rival Florida, Georgia is still holding out slim hope it can work its way back into the national title hunt.
On a day that included Tennessee coming back to get its first SEC victory, rallying late for a 45-42 overtime win at South Carolina, and Mississippi State dealing Arkansas its 17th consecutive defeat in conference play and staying undefeated with a 17-10 decision, two games had significant impact on the division races Saturday.
Kevin Ellison rushed for a career-high three touchdowns as the host Eagles crushed the Trojans for their sixth straight victory.
The NCAA upheld Georgia running back Todd Gurley’s four-game suspension on Thursday, denying an appeal by school officials to reduce the penalty.
Before the season, the ACC has been swamped with questions about off-field topics, mostly those involving the academic scandal at North Carolina.
Georgia sophomore linebacker Leonard Floyd is learning the intensity of the Florida-Georgia rivalry.
The NCAA says that UGA star Todd Gurley can return to play November 15th, after sitting for a total of 4 games. He must also complete 40 hours of community service for accepting $3,000 in cash for autographs.
Newton County Sports
- Salem girls, Gainesville boys win Saturday matinees
- Thompson, Eagles handle Croone’s Paladins
- GSU hangs on against Umass in holiday tourney
- Hawks visit Houston Saturday
- Padres reportedly acquiring Justin Upton, Middlebrooks
- Curry, Warriors squeak past Thunder
- Two dozen make Citizen all-area softball team
- Vandy visits the Flats on Saturday
- Vandy heads to the Flats on Saturday
- Falcons visit New Orleans in key divisional game
- Three local grapplers win South Metro Inviational, Rockdale takes third place overall
- Newton edges Eastside to sweep the county rival game
- Rockdale’s Dax Willette and Kimola McCallum earn top spots in 2014 All-Citizen Cross Country Team
- No replay in Oklahoma high school football playoff game, judge rules
- Newton starts Region 2-AAAAAA play with sweep over Alcovy
- Alcovy grapplers retain Newton Cup for third year
- Eastside boys, Alcovy girls get wins to split rivalary game
- Newton shows dominance with sweep over cross-town rival Eastside
- Madison Beazley and Autumn Evans remain Tigers as they head to Andrew College
- Eastside’s Arthur Holmes named Region 4-AAAA Defensive Player of the Year
- After busy Winter Meetings, more deals left to be made
- NFL touts ‘tougher’ personal conduct policy after crisis
- Falcons lament defense but can still fly into playoffs
- Atlanta Braves release new renderings of mixed-use development at SunTrust Park | PHOTOS
- NBA game roundup: 76ers snap 17-game losing streak
- Markakis and Braves agree to a four-year, $44 million deal
- Falcons defense looking to stop explosive Packers
- Soft-spoken Jones playing loud role in Falcons’ revival
- New Falcons stadium now to cost $1.4 billion, up from original $1 billion tag
- Falcons take high hopes to Green Bay