Auburn freshman football player Jakell Lenard Mitchell was shot and killed Sunday morning at an apartment complex near the Auburn University campus.
Oregon Ducks quarterback Marcus Mariota, Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver Amari Cooper and Wisconsin Badgers back Melvin Gordon were selected as the three finalists for the Heisman Trophy on Monday.
Georgia will see a familiar face when it faces Louisville in the Belk Bowl on Dec. 30.
Nebraska wasted little time in their search for new football coach, hiring Oregon State’s Mike Riley on Thursday in a surprise announcement.
Florida’s pursuit of Colorado State’s Jim McElwain is no longer stalled because of a $7.5 million contract buyout and he has agreed to take the Gators’ head coaching job, according to a report.
The last unbeaten team in the nation is the last team in the all-important top four of the College Football Playoff rankings, which were announced Tuesday evening.
As No. 14-Missouri (10-2, 7-1 in the SEC) prepares an SEC Championship game match-up against top-ranked Alabama (11-1, 7-1), it’s two losses that have had the biggest impact on the Tigers’ return to Atlanta.
Missouri will be making an appearance in the SEC championship game for a second straight season, but that certainly doesn’t give the Tigers an advantage in experience over Alabama in Saturday’s game in Atlanta.
When Florida State played The Citadel in Week 2, half the Seminoles’ defense ended up with injuries thanks to the Bulldogs’ penchant for cut blocks in their triple-option offense.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham will shutter its football program at the end of the current season due to the increasing costs associated with it, the school said on Tuesday.
Georgia’s seniors could go out on a high note against rival Georgia Tech.
Two divisions, four contenders. That’s what the final weekend of the season comes down to after Ole Miss fell out of contention in the West Division with a 30-0 loss at Arkansas and Missouri remained the East leader with a 29-21 victory at Tennessee Saturday.
Georgia is hitting its stride at the right time. Whether it’s enough for the Bulldogs to reach the SEC title game in Atlanta remains to be seen. But Georgia did its part by knocking off Auburn 34-7 in its conference finale. The Bulldogs (8-2, 6-3 SEC) will host Charleston Southern on Saturday.
Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said Monday he expects the Gators’ next head football coach to be offensive-minded with a proven track record.
Georgia tailback Todd Gurley's season has ended with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.
Newton County Sports
- Salem girls, Gainesville boys win Saturday matinees
- Thompson, Eagles handle Croone’s Paladins
- GSU hangs on against Umass in holiday tourney
- Hawks visit Houston Saturday
- Padres reportedly acquiring Justin Upton, Middlebrooks
- Curry, Warriors squeak past Thunder
- Two dozen make Citizen all-area softball team
- Vandy visits the Flats on Saturday
- Vandy heads to the Flats on Saturday
- Falcons visit New Orleans in key divisional game
- Three local grapplers win South Metro Inviational, Rockdale takes third place overall
- Newton edges Eastside to sweep the county rival game
- Rockdale’s Dax Willette and Kimola McCallum earn top spots in 2014 All-Citizen Cross Country Team
- No replay in Oklahoma high school football playoff game, judge rules
- Newton starts Region 2-AAAAAA play with sweep over Alcovy
- Alcovy grapplers retain Newton Cup for third year
- Eastside boys, Alcovy girls get wins to split rivalary game
- Newton shows dominance with sweep over cross-town rival Eastside
- Madison Beazley and Autumn Evans remain Tigers as they head to Andrew College
- Eastside’s Arthur Holmes named Region 4-AAAA Defensive Player of the Year
- After busy Winter Meetings, more deals left to be made
- NFL touts ‘tougher’ personal conduct policy after crisis
- Falcons lament defense but can still fly into playoffs
- Atlanta Braves release new renderings of mixed-use development at SunTrust Park | PHOTOS
- NBA game roundup: 76ers snap 17-game losing streak
- Markakis and Braves agree to a four-year, $44 million deal
- Falcons defense looking to stop explosive Packers
- Soft-spoken Jones playing loud role in Falcons’ revival
- New Falcons stadium now to cost $1.4 billion, up from original $1 billion tag
- Falcons take high hopes to Green Bay