Alcovy’s defense will have to stop the one-minded offensive charge of Lamar County if they hope to break 16-game losing streak when the two clash at Homer Sharp Stadium at 7:30 p.m. on Friday.
Eastside’s softball team got back on track after losing three out of their past four games with their 8-0, five-inning win over Social Circle at home on Monday.
Salem High School football coach John Starr thinks his team is capable of playing better than it has through the first month of the season.
The South Effingham High School volleyball team picked up a tournament title last weekend.
Piedmont concluded the first half of their regular season with a hard fought 35-20 loss to region rival John Milledge at Cougar Field on Friday.
Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee returned an interception 41 yards for a touchdown late in the third quarter to spark the struggling top-ranked Buckeyes to a 20-13 win over Northern Illinois on Saturday.
In what was expected to be their toughest test since the season opener, the Lowndes Vikings aced that exam Friday night at Martin Stadium. Against the talented and undefeated Newton Rams, the Vikings dominated in every phase of the final non-region tuneup, slaughtering the Rams 56-7.
The Tift County Blue Devils forced three turnovers, had another short drive after a bad snap on a punt and made it a rather successful 52-0 homecoming victory over the Alcovy Tigers Friday night at Brodie Field.
If one player made their presence felt in the first half it was Flowery Branch’s Jasen Johnson. Johnson threw for a 48-yard touchdown on a halfback pass, he was on the receiving end of 15-yard pass and ran the ball in from four yards out as the Falcons beat Heritage 45-14 at Evans Memorial Stadium for homecoming on Friday.
The Salem football team spent the first half of Friday’s game against Clarke Central building a slim lead with the passing game. The Seminoles spent the final 24 minutes padding the cushion and showing off their stout defense.
There will be plenty of attention on quarterback play when eighth-ranked Georgia hosts South Carolina on Saturday, but at least the Bulldogs have their starter still on the field. South Carolina lost Connor Mitch to a sprained right shoulder during last week’s 26-22 upset loss to Kentucky, thrusting Perry Orth into the first significant game action of the junior’s career.
Young Americans Christian School’s cross country team placed first in the Providence Meet held in Oxford on Thursday.
Last place in the National League East — and perhaps the worst record in baseball — will be at stake this weekend when the Philadelphia Phillies visit the Atlanta Braves for a three-game series that started on Friday at Turner Field.
Lady Warriors pitcher Kayla Poynter frustrated the Eastside hitters all game giving up one hit in the 15-0, three-inning loss on Thursday.
After losing for the first time in 2015 last week, Jonesboro responded by pounding previously undefeated Eastside 43-14 at Twelve Oaks Stadium Thursday night.
- Cedar Shoals snaps losing streak against Heritage
- Tigers beat Lakeside 15-12 after losing 17 straight
- Taylor gives Newton what they needed in region win over Tucker
- Miscues cost Salem dearly in loss to Gainesville
- YACS cross country team places first at Fayetteville Meet
- Newton softball comes back to take win away from Rockdale
- Eastside softball swept in region semifinals
- Patriots, Jaguars looking for first win
- ‘Noles look to bounce back against Gainesville
- Focus and ball control key for an Alcovy homecoming win
- Falcons looking for 4-0 start
- MLB says new Rays stadium ‘most pressing’
- Falcons trying to find running game
- Braves once again fail to support hard-luck righty Miller
- 3 things we learned about the Falcons, Falcons sign OT Jake Long
- Falcons defense ready to prove itself
- Braves’ Bourn confident he can still play
- Falcons to take second look at Jake Long
- Have Braves hit rock bottom?
- Judge overturns Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension
- SEC, playoff implications on the line in Saturday’s matchup
- Tide ready to roll into SEC road test at Georgia
- Tech regroups after embarrasing loss to Norte Dame
- Top 25 roundup: Ole Miss hangs on, stuns ‘Bama
- Newly named Gamecocks quarterback gets start against tough Georgia defense
- Tulane not threatened by Tech’s triple option
- Georgia Tech freshmen up to early challenges
- Ohio State No. 1, record 10 SEC teams in Top 25 with UGA at No. 10
- Mercedes-Benz Stadium to host SEC Football championship games through 2026
- Bulldogs finish strong after slow start