Alabama left little doubt not only which was the top team in the Southeastern Conference, but where the league’s champion will be headed once the postseason pairings are announced Sunday.
The Eastside girls basketball team did not start the night well dropping the first game 76-51 to the Newton girls while the Newton teams slowly pulled ahead of the home-team Eagles for a 57-43 win and the sweep on Friday.
In Salem’s first Region 8-AAAAA contest against Winder-Barrow earlier in the week, it took a Paris Scott 3-pointer with four and a half seconds left to help the Seminoles escape with a one-point win. Things weren’t nearly as close in game No. 2.
Alcovy’s Madison Beazley and Autumn Evans will continue to play as teammates after signing with Andrew College Tigers.
Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston’s student code conduct hearing wrapped up Wednesday in Tallahassee, Fla., without a decision being handed down or Winston being called to testify.
Thanks to 17 first-place finishes, Rockdale’s swim team ran away with a regular season meet Thursday, defeating second-place Heritage 497-269.5 at Johnson Park.
Delaney Willette is back in Atlanta pools.
As is a regular occurrence each fall, there were plenty of Heritage Patriots on the all-Region 8-AAAAA softball teams.
The Philadelphia 76ers avoided a dubious place in the NBA record books on Wednesday, as they snapped a 17-game losing streak with their first victory of the season in an 85-77 defeat of the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Nebraska wasted little time in their search for new football coach, hiring Oregon State’s Mike Riley on Thursday in a surprise announcement.
Tiger Woods has pronounced himself fit, but he did not appear ready quite yet as his rust showed on Thursday at the Hero World Challenge after a nearly four-month absence from competition.
The Atlanta Braves found a replacement for departed right fielder Jason Heyward.
Steven Jackson showed the tires haven’t completely worn down in bulldozing the Cardinals for 101 yards on 18 carries last week.
Eastside’s Arthur Holmes was named the All-Region 4-AAAA Defensive Player of the Year while 12 other were named to the All-Region 4A-AAAA team.
Josh Heath came off the bench to score 12 points on a perfect 6-of-6 shooting night and added five assists as Georgia Tech defeated Northwestern 66-58 Wednesday in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge at Welsh
- Three local grapplers win South Metro Inviational, Rockdale takes third place overall
- Newton edges Eastside to sweep the county rival game
- Rockdale’s Dax Willette and Kimola McCallum earn top spots in 2014 All-Citizen Cross Country Team
- No replay in Oklahoma high school football playoff game, judge rules
- Newton starts Region 2-AAAAAA play with sweep over Alcovy
- Alcovy grapplers retain Newton Cup for third year
- Eastside boys, Alcovy girls get wins to split rivalary game
- Newton shows dominance with sweep over cross-town rival Eastside
- Madison Beazley and Autumn Evans remain Tigers as they head to Andrew College
- Eastside’s Arthur Holmes named Region 4-AAAA Defensive Player of the Year
- After busy Winter Meetings, more deals left to be made
- NFL touts ‘tougher’ personal conduct policy after crisis
- Falcons lament defense but can still fly into playoffs
- Atlanta Braves release new renderings of mixed-use development at SunTrust Park | PHOTOS
- NBA game roundup: 76ers snap 17-game losing streak
- Markakis and Braves agree to a four-year, $44 million deal
- Falcons defense looking to stop explosive Packers
- Soft-spoken Jones playing loud role in Falcons’ revival
- New Falcons stadium now to cost $1.4 billion, up from original $1 billion tag
- Falcons take high hopes to Green Bay
- Auburn football player Jakell Mitchell shot and killed; arrest made
- Three Heisman Trophy finalists named
- Bulldogs expect challenge from Louisville in Belk Bowl
- Nebraska names Oregon State’s Riley as coach
- Florida Gators hire Jim McElwain from Colorado State as next football coach
- TCU third, FSU fourth in CFP rankings
- Tigers overcome big odds to get to Atlanta
- Title games nothing new for Tide
- Citadel provided trial run for defending option
- University of Alabama at Birmingham to end football program, citing costs