Top Sports stories
Staff photo: Manny Fils. The 2012-13 Alcovy basketball team had another signing with Kaci Palo heading to Andrew College. The Lady Tigers leader will be playing the shooting guard position. Palo led the Lady Tigers in 3-point shots taken and 3-point shots made.. "I'm extremely excited for her
COVINGTON -- The girls track programs for the area had several successful outings with five of the six schools being represented at the girls state meet and medaling in four events.. But it was Heritage's Morgan Hubbard that exemplified the true meaning of being the best of the best. Hubbard
CINCINNATI -- Atlanta third baseman Juan Francisco's first career grand slam highlighted a five-run eighth inning, and Dan Uggla hit a pair of solo homers lifting the Braves to a 7-2 victory over the Cincinnati Reds.
Following a weekend rookie minicamp, the Atlanta Falcons feel they may have managed to steal a couple of linebacker prospects after failing to address that need during the draft.. Linebackers Nick Clancy and Joplu Bartu, both undrafted free agent rookies, were impressive in the three-day camp that
CLARKSTON - In a matter of minutes, the 2013 season came to an end for the Heritage boy’s soccer team.
Heisman Trophy winners Vinny Testaverde, Danny Wuerffel and Ron Dayne and 1995 runner-up Tommie Frazier lead the 2013 College Football Hall of Fame class to be inducted Dec. 10 in New York City.
COVINGTON -- Alcovy's baseball team knows what it must do when it plays at Lowndes in the second-round doubleheader of the Class AAAAAA playoffs today starting at 4:30 p.m. The question is, can the Tigers do it?
JEFFERSON -- The Heritage boys track and field team made statewide headlines at last weekend's state track and field meet.
Some Braves to watch.
JEFFERSON - The Heritage boy's track and field team made state-wide headlines at last weekend’s state track and field meet.
SHARPSBURG -- East Coweta provided plenty of reasons why it was ranked No. 1 heading into the Class AAAAAA state playoffs.
ATLANTA -- Roy Hibbert gathered his Indiana Pacers teammates as the Atlanta Hawks, listless and ineffective for three quarters, mobilized for a fourth-quarter run to cut the Pacers lead from 19 points to 5.
NEWNAN -- Twenty-five pings and one mighty Bop sounded a sweep for Newnan's baseball team over Newton in the first round of the Georgia High School Association Class AAAAAA state tournament on Friday.
Orb, ridden by Joel Rosario, won the 139th Kentucky Derby at a wet and muddy Churchill Downs on Saturday.
JEFFERSON -- A pair of local athletes won titles in this weekend's track and field state meet at Memorial Stadium in Jefferson.
COVINGTON -- After missing the playoffs the past two years, Alcovy's baseball team took advantage of its return to sweep Westlake on Friday to make it the second round.
COVINGTON -- Being a No. 1 seed did not give the Eagles any advantage as they were eliminated by Region 5-AAAA No. 4 seed Troup County 11-7 and 12-2 in the first round of the Class AAAA baseball playoffs on Friday.
- Lakeside-DeKalb defeats Heritage in penalty kicks
- Heritage track and field finishes seventh at state meet
- East Coweta sweeps Rockdale on diamond
- Heritage boys soccer ends first round slump
- Heritage girls knocked out in opening round
- Rockdale tennis eliminated in second round
- Rockdale tennis sweeps first round matches
- Heritage boys, girls lose tight games to Parkview
- Patriots shut out Clarke Central on diamond
- Eagles top Lanier to remain perfect in region
- Garcia, Leishman share lead at Masters
- Falcons making changes on O-line
- Many favorites for Nicklaus at Masters
- Smith scores 28 as Hawks topple 76ers
- More players to make weekend cut at Masters
- G-Braves sweep doubleheader against Charlotte
- BRAVES NOTES: Venters to see James Andrews about elbow
- Terdoslavich among four Braves sent down
- Rehabbing McCann uncertain of future
- Simmons returns to Braves with red-hot bat
- Farmer gets no-decision in Tech's walk-off win
- JENKINS: The AAU Effect is damaging college basketball
- COLLEGE NOTES: Salem's Bailey named first team all-conference
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL NOTES: Clowney injured, may miss spring game
- Final Four leaves Atlanta with numerous memories
- Louisville beats Michigan to claim NCAA championship
- Hancock comes off bench to shine for Louisville
- Ware a national champion
- Farmer pitches well, still drops first game of '13
- Bench leads Louisville rally past Wichita State