While efforts by new Attorney General Sam Olens have aimed at shining more light on government -- something we applaud here at the opening of Sunshine Week -- a much less visible effort is being launched in the Georgia Senate to hide critical information from the public.
Notice something different about the Citizen today?October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the Citizen hopes to do its part to help raise awareness by publishing today's newspaper on pink newsprint and asking our readers to "Read Pink." To help in the awareness campaign, a portion of the proceeds from today's paper will be donated to three local organizations that support breast cancer research, treatment and prevention -- the Kimberley Chance Atkins Foundation, Newton Medical Auxiliary/Hope Boutique and LifePoint Community Foundation/Rockdale Medical Center.
As the fifth anniversary of Katrina came and went Sunday, a question came to mind: Is the city of New Orleans any safer from that type of disaster today?The answer is: Probably not.
Letters to the Editor
- Letter: More rental units a bad deal for Conyers
- Letter: Heartfelt thanks for prayers and support
- Letter: Do your part for cleaner air
- Letter: Weigh interests of children in selecting superintendent 3 comments
- Letter: The problem with CRCTs
- Letter: Too many questions left about SPLOST 2 comments
- Letter: Prayers, support appreciated
- Letter: Emergency assistance greatly appreciated
- Letter: Thanks to two local heroes
- Letter: Aten's advertising misleading 10 comments
- Darrell Huckaby: Clothes make the man -- if you can find your size
- Jack Simpson: The violence problem in New Orleans
- Jeff Meadors: Performance flags give needed direction for educational improvement
- Darrell Huckaby: Oklahoma tragedy will bring out the worst -- and the best -- in us
- Cal Thomas: Tyranny is no longer 'lurking'
- Mark Shields: Obama's second term pitfalls
- Rob Jenkins: Saying goodbye to another year of folding chairs and ballpark hotdogs
- Darrell Huckaby: Writing this column never grows old
- Jack Simpson: Bees in danger
- Darrell Huckaby: Choosing a line of work now that I'm retired