The most cherished words ever uttered are, “I love you.” They express the ultimate devotion of two people. The Psalmist had that phrase in mind when he expressed praise to God in Psalm 119: 103, “How sweet are Thy words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”
We can testify to the same truth about Jesus. Our being delivered from spiritual and eternal death is due completely to Him and what He did for us. It’s all about Him and His sacrificial act of love on our behalf.
When a group of Christ-followers get together and start loving and serving one another the way Jesus did, and where the church is actually being the church, the barriers that many have are broken down, rough edges begin to smooth, and hearts begin to soften to the message, and life change begins to take place.
Milstead Baptist Church, 1613 Main St. in Conyers, will host a Life Line Screening on Oct. 17.
Only Jesus has the power to bring real hope and change because only He can heal that hopelessly dark and deceitful heart. We who claim to be Christ followers need to stop wringing our hands and whining about what Washington did now, and start praying for our leaders and our nation.
Every October marks pastor appreciation month. It is a time when many parishioners wrestle with that all-important question: “What do I get my pastor?” Well, I’m glad you asked.
There are many good things we can do with our lives, some of which will give us a sense of meaning and usefulness. But we aren’t going to discover the true and greatest purposes of our lives apart from Jesus. We aren’t going to discover what we were made to do until we get our lives in line with the One who made us.
The Canada thistle is the epitome of the good and the bad, the showy and the offensive. This is the most common and widespread thistle in the U.S. However, it is not that common in the Southeast.
There is a saying that good things come in small packages. And so it is that a small package, say, a gift, can contain something of no great size but of immense value. People can be the same kind of gift. Such was Brother Alphonse. He passed away last week and we rejoiced in his going home to God and, at the same time, mourned his leaving us.
Shiloh UMC holding Christian music event
To prove that church can be a joyful celebration indoors or outdoors, Shiloh United Methodist Church will hold Celebrate Jesus, an outdoor music and worship event later this month at the Almon ball field in Covington.
We are born with an instinctive longing for the place we feel most at home. For some, that place is a room with a nice reclining chair and a remote. For others, a mansion might fit the bill.
Recently, a couple of spare keys were made for the lock on the door of our church building. But when those new keys were tested, they didn’t open the door. Blame for this failure was naturally ascribed to the keys and to the individual who had cut them out.
The Stone Mountain Baptist Association of Churches will celebrate their 175th Anniversary on Thursday, Oct. 3 beginning at 4 p.m. at the Emmanuel Community Church, 1400 Highway 212 in Conyers.
Psalm 19:7-11 reads, “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
From hayrides and face painting to free health screenings and classic cars, the Monastery of the Holy Spirit’s Annual Fall Festival and Health Fair offers a day of fun and activities for people of all ages.
- Rockdale County High School Class of 1963 reunion
- Conyers Garden Club learns about bees and pollination
- Conyers Garden club competes in Yellow Daisy Flower Show
- Anaida Pabon turns 100 years old
- Cadets launch rockets from the Covington Municipal Airport
- Kaitlyn Cole named Miss GA Jr Preteen
- Pilot Club of Conyers names Sweetheart for 2013
- Oxford Lions Club honors member
- Women's Club learns about breast cancer awareness non-profit
- The Conyers Garden Club awards the Yard of the Month for August
The Recipe Box
- The Recipe Box: Roasted vegetables a healthy side dish
- Include sweet potato minis on your Thanksgiving menu
- Make creepy Oreo spider cookies for Halloween
- THE RECIPE BOX: Watermelon goat cheese salad a unique July Fourth treat
- THE RECIPE BOX: Sweeten a picnic with grape salad
- THE RECIPE BOX: Spinach lasagna rolls worth the prep time
- THE RECIPE BOX: Zesty Italian dressing makes cucumber salad a refreshing dish
- THE RECIPE BOX: Banana smoothie a healthy alternative to ice cream
- THE RECIPE BOX: Sweet potato muffins melt in your mouth
- THE RECIPE BOX: Resurrection rolls perfect to make with children at Easter
- Capers-Grooms Engagement
- Thomas-Martin Engagement
- Reagan-Chambless Engagement
- Halbrooks-Pickett Engagement
- Mason-Meltz Engagement
- Jordan-Holder Engagement
- Collins-Green Engagement
- Dixon-Conner Engagement
- Hardin-Garcia Engagement
- Stowers-Collins Engagement