James Behrens column
Orrin Morris column on black-eyed Susan.
John Pearrell column
Joe LaGuardia column
Another October is almost over, and I can’t help but be excited about Halloween coming up in several weeks. It’s one of my favorite holidays. There’s something about the fun and fantasy, the candy and candlelight, the storytelling and lure that gets me as giddy as my 5-year-old around this time of year.
Last weekend, I attended a Christian Apologetics Conference. That doesn’t mean that I came back having learned a hundred different ways to say “I’m sorry” or “forgive me” with a more sincere, Christlike spirit. As many of you know, apologetics has to do with defending the faith.
Covington First United Methodist hosts Change the World Day on Oct. 26. The event provides a venue for organizations, services and churches to come together to bring awareness to what Newton County has to offer its citizens, to give assistance to those in need, to work together on community service projects and to provide a free, fun-filled day for families.
What we are seeing today in our country is not primarily a problem in politics but a problem of our hearts. The further we drift from the Judeo-Christian principles upon which our country was founded, the more our freedoms will erode.
One should approach all thistles with caution. This field thistle does not have spines on the stem like the bull thistle or the nodding thistle but the leaves are armed to make life miserable for intruders.
The pope learns from the poor. He has lived with them, dined with them, held them, pondered them. And he has asked us to do the same. It is the poor who offer the deepest insight to the church’s quest for identity and purpose.
CrossRoads Baptist Church hosts Life Week revival
Bringing in ministers of the gospel from far and near, CrossRoads Baptist Church invites the community to its upcoming Life Week, a time of fall revival at the church located at 227 County Road 229 in Social Circle. For four days, the church will host services featuring the theme “Focus” as it seeks to help worshipers center their hearts and minds on God. Life Week is Oct. 20 to 23, with a service Sunday morning at 10:30, and services Sunday through Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
Covington FUMC 5K benefits Newton's special needs community
Covington FUMC will holds its annual Steeple Chase 5K to benefit special needs students in Newton.
For now, I’m sure that many churches can’t help the generational divides that exist in their communities. With a concerted effort and some intentional faith sharing, however, I am confident that we can grow closer to one another and together grow closer to Christ even when it is difficult to do so.
More to the point, in the human person, the two worlds become one. We live from active and contemplative ways of being in the world. Yet there are still tensions between individuals who rally for the primacy of one way (active) over the other (contemplative) or vice-versa.
- Rockdale County High School Class of 1963 reunion
- Conyers Garden Club learns about bees and pollination
- Conyers Garden club competes in Yellow Daisy Flower Show
- Anaida Pabon turns 100 years old
- Cadets launch rockets from the Covington Municipal Airport
- Kaitlyn Cole named Miss GA Jr Preteen
- Pilot Club of Conyers names Sweetheart for 2013
- Oxford Lions Club honors member
- Women's Club learns about breast cancer awareness non-profit
- The Conyers Garden Club awards the Yard of the Month for August
The Recipe Box
- The Recipe Box: Roasted vegetables a healthy side dish
- Include sweet potato minis on your Thanksgiving menu
- Make creepy Oreo spider cookies for Halloween
- THE RECIPE BOX: Watermelon goat cheese salad a unique July Fourth treat
- THE RECIPE BOX: Sweeten a picnic with grape salad
- THE RECIPE BOX: Spinach lasagna rolls worth the prep time
- THE RECIPE BOX: Zesty Italian dressing makes cucumber salad a refreshing dish
- THE RECIPE BOX: Banana smoothie a healthy alternative to ice cream
- THE RECIPE BOX: Sweet potato muffins melt in your mouth
- THE RECIPE BOX: Resurrection rolls perfect to make with children at Easter
- Capers-Grooms Engagement
- Thomas-Martin Engagement
- Reagan-Chambless Engagement
- Halbrooks-Pickett Engagement
- Mason-Meltz Engagement
- Jordan-Holder Engagement
- Collins-Green Engagement
- Dixon-Conner Engagement
- Hardin-Garcia Engagement
- Stowers-Collins Engagement