Newton County resident Crystal Marcum proved to have more than beginner's luck when she decided to take part in her first-ever bodybuilding competition.
Over lunch the other day with friends -- all in the newspaper business -- I mentioned that I occasionally speak at writers' conferences.. "Everyone has a book in 'em," I commented, something I most surely believe though they all looked surprised.
In your lifetime, you've wished upon many stars.
You'd pack your bags in a heartbeat.. Yep, if they ever come up with a commuter bus to outer space, you'll be first in line for tickets.
Somehow I ran across an out-of-print book called "The Last Lap." It is now 15 years old, but tells an intriguing, timeless tale of the early days of America's first stock car racers.
Anyone can be one step away from misfortune. It happened in Memphis. A lot of history and interesting stuff occurs in that magical city that sits grandly on the Mississippi River.
TERRI SCHLICHENMEYER: Find philosophy, theology between the covers of 'A Dog Walks into a Nursing Home'
They say it can't be done.. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, they say, but you've spent a good amount of time doing it successfully anyhow.
The recent retirement of Rockdale County Sheriff's Department Lieutenant Ricky Edge marked the end of an era for his family in their service to Rockdale County.
Because acclaimed saxophonist Antonio Chand Bennett hails from Newton County, it should come as no surprise as to whom he considers his musical mentor.
The first time you heard that song, you were stunned.. You wanted to turn around and listen to it again.
Telling the truth is the mark of the honorable. The waitress set down the cup of coffee and I poured cream into the hot, black liquid while quietly reflecting, pondering something.
The other day, while playing outside, you spent 10 minutes watching ants.
My parents told great stories. I've told you that. How they would both weave long, intriguing tales from not much of a story or one that was so good to begin with that it took little embellishment.
Although he's made a good living for some 20 years as the leader of A1A, known as "The Official and Original Jimmy Buffett Tribute Show," Atlanta native Jeff Pike admits that Buffett was not necessarily his favorite musical artist when he was growing up.
Shelton Keaton served for 22 years in the Navy, beginning in 1944, and visiting the memorial dedicated to WWII veterans in Washington, D.C., on an Honor Flight trip recently brought back a lot of memories of his time in the service.
- RONDA RICH: Thank God for blessings, heartaches
- TERRI SCHLICHENMEYER: Get the inside scoop on mark downs, coupon-shopping in ‘Bargain Fever’
- Rockdale Emergency Relief welcomes new executive director
- JAMES BEHRENS: Thank God for both the joys, and sorrows in life
- ORRIN MORRIS: Horseweed traveled by ship from the colonies to Europe
- JOHN PEARRELL: Let God turn a bane into a blessing
- JOE LAGUARDIA: Churches provide safety net for homeless families through Family Promise
- Historic St. Paul AME Church leaving location on Stone Mountain Street in Covington
- TONY ELDER: Keep trusting in God, even in the midst of tragedy
- JULIE WELLS: Be filled with prayer and gratitude this holiday season
- Rockdale County High School Class of 1963 reunion
- Conyers Garden Club learns about bees and pollination
- Conyers Garden club competes in Yellow Daisy Flower Show
- Anaida Pabon turns 100 years old
- Cadets launch rockets from the Covington Municipal Airport
- Kaitlyn Cole named Miss GA Jr Preteen
- Pilot Club of Conyers names Sweetheart for 2013
- Oxford Lions Club honors member
- Women's Club learns about breast cancer awareness non-profit
- The Conyers Garden Club awards the Yard of the Month for August
- Military news for October
- Locals graduate from basic combat training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C
- July Military News
- Military News for March 2013
- January Military News
- Military News for December 2012
- November Military News
- Military News for October
- September Military News
- Military News for August