0

Covington man, former teacher indicted on child pornography charges

COVINGTON — A 27-year-old Covington resident and former middle school teacher was indicted on child pornography charges last week.

William Kimbrell has been arraigned on federal charges of accessing with intent to view child pornography.

“Consumers of child pornography create a demand for the sexual exploitation of children that has resulted in an explosion of abuse across the United States,” said Special Agent in Charge Brock D. Nicholson of Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) in Atlanta. “No matter how cleverly a suspect may think he has covered his tracks by deleting or encrypting illegal photos and videos, our special agents and computer forensic analysts are highly trained and skilled at finding the evidence of their crimes.”

U.S. Attorney Sally Quillian Yates said the charges and other information presented in court started in October 2012 when it was found that someone was distributing child pornography in an apartment complex in Statesboro. In late December 2012 and continuing into January 2013, the same person was still offering child pornography for distribution, but instead in Covington.

When special agents with Homeland Security Investigations learned of the offense this year, they searched Kimbrell’s Covington home.

He had allegedly deleted the bulk of the child pornography on his computer; however, the computer forensics analyst was able to find remnants of files on the computer and was able to determine that Kimbrell had allegedly accessed child pornography on the Internet from October 2012 to December 2013, which includes the period that he was working at a middle school in Barrow County.

Kimbrell resigned from his position as a middle school teacher on March 17.

He was arraigned before U.S. Magistrate Judge Russell G. Vineyard. This case is being investigated by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations. Assistant United States Attorney Paul R. Jones is prosecuting the case.

This case is being brought as part of Project Safe Childhood. In February 2006, the attorney general launched Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative designed to protect children from online exploitation and abuse.

Led by the United States Attorney’s Offices around the country, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, go to www.projectsafechildhood.gov.