0

RCFD: Brandon Glen fire started by kids playing with candles

Sixteen units at Brandon Glen Apartments were destroyed by fire Thursday evening. According to Rockdale Fire and Rescue, the blaze started when two children were playing with candles on a back porch. (Staff photo: Jessicah Peters)

Sixteen units at Brandon Glen Apartments were destroyed by fire Thursday evening. According to Rockdale Fire and Rescue, the blaze started when two children were playing with candles on a back porch. (Staff photo: Jessicah Peters)

CONYERS — A fire that consumed 16 units in the Brandon Glen Apartments Thursday evening was reportedly started by two children who were playing with candles.

Lt. Chris Kozikowski with Rockdale Fire and Rescue said the fire marshal determined that the fire began on the back porch of one of the units where a 10- and 11-year-old were playing with candles.

The fire started just after 6 p.m. Thursday and when firefighters arrived, the building was about 60 or 70 percent involved, Kozikowski said.

“It looked like the fire started in the back area of the apartments and climbed up into the attic space,” he said. “All in all, there were five units heavily destroyed, three more received moderate damage, and eight more were affected by water or smoke.”

Kozikowski said fire crews initially set up a ladder truck and attacked the fire from overhead. Once it was partially under control, firefighters went inside on multiple floors and were able to get the fire under control in about 40 minutes.

“All families were assisted by Red Cross on scene,” he said.

Kozikowski added that RCFD will also follow up with the families and offer education to the children who were responsible for the fire.