Thompson, Gulf Coast advance to tournament semis

Bernard Thompson and the Florida Gulf Coast mens basketball team are two wins away from a repeat conference championship. Chase Fieler scored 17 points and Thompson, a junior from Rockdale, scored 16 as the top-seed Eagles defeated No. 8 seed Stetson 77-55 in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic Sun Tournament Tuesday.

Gulf Coast (21-11), coming off the first league title in program history a year ago, will host fourth-seeded East Tennessee State in Thursday’s semifinals.

The starting five for the host Eagles all contributed as Eric McKnight added 15 points, Jamail Jones scored 10 and Brett Comer did a bit of everything, handing out nine assists to go along with nine points and seven rebounds.

Stetson, which lost its last seven games to finish 7-24, was led by B.J. Glasford’s 13 bench points.

A look at the rest of the Atlantic Sun Tournament games from Tuesday.

No. 2 Mercer 85, No. 7 Jacksonville 64

The Bears hit half of their field goal attempts and made 47 percent of their three-point tries to cruise at home. Anthony White scored 29 points on 11 of 15 shooting and Bud Thomas scored all 18 of his points on a 6 for 11 night from behind the arc for Mercer (24-8).

Mercer’s leading scorer, Langston Hall was held to three points and missed all four of his field goal attempts, but the senior handed out 10 assists in helping the Bears win a quarterfinal game for the fifth consecutive season.

Vince Martin scored 17 points for Jacksonville (12-18), which was bounced in the quarterfinal round for the fourth straight year.

No. 3 USC Upstate 80, No. 6 North Florida 74

Ricardo Glenn just missed a double-double with 22 points and nine rebounds as the Spartans advanced.

USC Upstate (19-13), back in the tournament semifinals for the second straight season, also got 14 points from reserve Ty Greene, 13 from Fred Miller and 12 out of Jodd Maxey.

North Florida (16-16) was paced by Chris Davenport’s game-high 27 points and 10 rebounds. Upstate and Mercer will meet in one semifinal game Thursday in Macon.

No. 4 East Tennessee State 89, No. 5 Lipscomb 88 (2 OT)

The Buccanneers erased a pair of deficits in the second overtime, the last of which came when Lester Wilson hit two free throws to tie game at 88-88 with 16 seconds left.

J.C. Hampton missed a lay up that would’ve given Lipscomb the lead and A.J. Merriweather hit 1 of 2 free throws to help East Tennessee State (18-14) hold on.

Lipscomb’s Khion Sankey hit a tying 3-pointer with 17 seconds remaining in the first overtime, and the Bisons scored five of the first six points in the second extra session to grab an 85-81 lead with 2 1/2 minutes to play. Wilson hit a three to make it a one-point game and later, Sankey hit a 3-pointer to put Lipscomb (15-15) up 88-86.

Martin Smith’s three with 20 seconds left in regulation gave Lipscomb a 69-68 lead, and 11 seconds later, Jalen Riley made 1 of 2 free throws to send the game into overtime.