Conyers man dies after collapsing during argument with teen

16-year-old charged with involuntary manslaughter

CONYERS — A 16-year-old Rockdale County teen has been charged with involuntary manslaughter after a 53-year-old man died from an apparent heart attack during an argument.

According to Cpl. Michael Camp with the Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office, the teen, along with two other juveniles, including the victim’s son, were playing basketball at the victim’s home on Alexandria Lane, located off McDaniel Mill Road sometime around 9 p.m. Friday evening.

“It appears that at some point, the boys started bouncing the basketball off the side of the victim’s home, and the victim went out to tell them to stop,” Camp said.

The 16-year-old then began arguing with the man and it turned into a brief physical fight between the two, according to the RCSO. The victim collapsed during the struggle from what is believed to be a medical emergency such as a heart attack.

When deputies arrived, they found the victim lying unresponsive in the driveway. EMS was called and the man was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead, Camp said.

The 16-year-old suspect was located a short time later at his nearby residence and taken into custody. He was transported to the Rockdale Regional Youth Detention Center and is facing a charge of involuntary manslaughter, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

“We believe the juvenile was the aggressor in the situation and his actions led to the man’s death,” Camp said.

The victim, Michael Henderson, had been under federal indictment for the 1987 stabbing death of his wife.

Henderson was arrested in May 2013 in Rockdale County by the U.S. Marshals Service and the RCSO deputy assigned to the Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force. Henderson had been indicted the previous week by a Washington, D.C., grand jury after new evidence came to light in that case. A warrant charging him with murder in the second degree while armed was issued by the District of Columbia Superior Court and the U.S. Marshals Service tracked Henderson to Conyers where he was taken into custody.

Henderson had apparently remarried and he and his wife moved to Conyers in 2010. Henderson had no prior criminal charges in Rockdale County.