NCSO: Woman loses control after drinking bottle of wine

COVINGTON — Perhaps there can be too much of a good thing.

A Florida woman who had reportedly consumed an entire bottle of wine on July 4 became out of control when her sister-in-law refused to let her drive the car.

A Newton County Sheriff’s Office deputy was called to the area of Upper River Road and Crowell Road around 9 p.m. on July 4 when someone reported seeing an argument occurring inside a 2012 Dodge Avenger.

The responding deputy spoke with the driver of the car who said that her sister-in-law, who was the front-seat passenger, began hitting and kicking the door of the car because she wanted to drive. The driver told the deputy she didn’t want to press charges.

The deputy went to speak with the passenger, who was intoxicated and acting belligerent and loud, said NCSO Sgt. Cortney Morrison. She admitted she drank a whole bottle of wine.

At some point, the woman, identified as Deborah Reynolds, 35, of Blountstown, Fla., got out of the front seat and laid down underneath the Avenger.

“The deputy instructed her several times to get out from under the car. Eventually, she rolled out from under the car and attempted to roll under the deputy’s patrol car,” Morrison said.

The deputy was able to get Reynolds to stand up and then placed handcuffs on her. As he was escorting her to the patrol car, she grabbed the rear wheel well and refused to let go. She began resisting the deputy, not wanting to sit in the car. When the deputy eventually got her inside the car, she laid down on the seat and pulled her hands out of the handcuffs, Morrison said. Reynolds then began banging her head on the partition between the front and back seats of the patrol car.

EMS was called to the scene and she refused to get out of the car, so the deputy pulled her from the back seat and attempted to put the handcuffs back on her.

“Again she resisted by making her body go limp so the deputy let her drop to the ground and put handcuffs on her using plastic hand restraints,” Morrison said.

EMS was eventually able to observe her and Reynolds was transported to Newton Medical Center. She was given a citation for disorderly conduct, Morrison said.