Warren Sapp is not a big fan Michael Strahan. The Pro Football Hall of Famer does not not think the former New York Giants defensive lineman deserves enshrinement.
Strahan, now a television personality and analyst, is one of 15 finalists for induction. This year’s class will be announced Saturday.
“I don’t think his resume stacks up,” said Sapp, a former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Oakland Raiders defensive lineman who was elected to the Hall of Fame last year. “Four straight Pro Bowls and a mythical sack record. When you really measure it up, he comes up short, except you all are giving it to him.”
Sapp has questioned Strahan’s season sack record of 22 1/2 set in 2001. Strahan was credited with his final sack that season on a play that Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre appeared to take a dive.
Sapp’s lack of support for the Hall of Fame is not a big deal for Strahan. He joked that he’s glad Sapp doesn’t have a vote.
“Football was part of my life, but it is not my entire life,” Strahan said. “So for some guys, maybe that’s their entire life and that’s all they have to hold onto. Playing football, sacking quarterbacks, that was part of my life, and I did it and I moved on. The tiger does not pay attention to the opinion of the sheep.”
Strahan did take the opportunity to defend himself, though.
“I lasted 15 years, all hype,” Strahan said. “I had 141 1/2 career sacks, all hype. I was always a starter. I played left end and that made me get sacks. My coaches kept putting me in the game because they felt it gave us the best chance to win, and that was all hype.”
Strahan was not elected in 2013 in his first year of eligibility. He acknowledged that getting in this year, with the Super Bowl in the New York area, would be sweet.
“If you make it in anywhere, it doesn’t matter,” Strahan said. “To be honest with you, I get reminded of it by everybody else. I don’t think about it. If I make it in, that would be awesome. If I make it in in New York, that would be double incredible.”