Juveniles charged in melee at McDonald's

COVINGTON — A group of teenagers is facing juvenile charges after a fight broke out in McDonald’s.

Covington Police Department Officer Robert Yarbrough was driving through the McDonald’s parking lot on U.S. Highway 278 on routine patrol Friday evening when he noticed several young girls running out of the doors screaming obscenities.

He got out of his patrol car and started walking to the restaurant when he saw a 15-year-old girl run out of the doors “as if someone was chasing her,” Yarbrough reported.

“She stood out to me because she had a red shirt on that had “B—-H” printed across the front,” he stated.

The officer tried to stop her but she ignored him, so he tried to grab her arm, but she pulled away. He had to forcibly stop her from leaving the scene, the report states.

“She kept reminding me she was a juvenile and not to touch her,” Yarbrough stated.

The girl refused to speak to the officer and continued to struggle with him as he followed her back into the restaurant. He reported he had “no other option other than taking her to the ground. While on the floor of McDonald’s, this juvenile kicked me and swung at me several times, trying to break free. After several attempts, the juvenile did strike me several times in the side of my face and head,”

Backup officers had to help bring the girl under control, handcuff her and place her in the back of the patrol car.

Another officer had stopped two other girls, both 14 and one of whom was the 15-year-old’s sister and was wearing a similar shirt, who were attempting to leave the scene.

After speaking with witnesses, officers learned that the three girls were at the restaurant with several other juveniles – ranging in age from 11 to 15 – when the 15-year-old detained by Officer Yarbrough began arguing with a 35-year-old woman and the two girls who were with her at another table.

Soon the verbal altercation turned physical when all three girls detained by the police attacked the three victims.

The two 14-year-olds were arrested and charged with aggravated battery; the 15-year-old was charged with aggravated battery and felony obstruction of officers.