0

Small fire reported at General Mills plant

COVINGTON — Smoldering dust particles in the duct system were the cause of a small fire Monday morning on the third floor of General Mills.

Tony Smith, deputy fire chief for the Covington Fire Department, said that the call came in around 9:16 a.m. Firefighters released the scene back to General Mills employees just after 10 a.m.

“It appeared we had an accumulation of dust particles that overheated and smoldered,” Smith said. “I don’t’ believe there was ever a flame, just smoldering particles inside the duct work itself.”

He said the overheating was isolated to the air handling unit part of the dust collection system and was not tied to the HVAC system.

Firefighters broke down the ventilation system and flooded the lines to make sure all the embers were extinguished. General Mills followed standard protocol and locked down the area while firefighters were working. According to Mike Siemienas with General Mills, no injuries were reported and the plant operations resumed quickly with no further incidents.