Wells Fargo robber gets life in prison

CONYERS -- A man convicted Thursday for a bank robbery at Wells Fargo Bank was sentenced Friday to two consecutive life sentences plus an additional 10 years in prison.

Michael Odle was found guilty in Rockdale Superior Court in the Sept. 2, 2011, robbery and was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Robert Mumford. Because of Odle's extensive criminal history, including four prior convictions for robbery with a deadly weapon in Maryland, he will not be eligible for parole.

"We hope Odle's conviction and sentence will send a message to armed robbers and career criminals," said Senior Assistant District Attorney Dabney Y. Kentner. "They would do well not to prey on the innocent citizens of Rockdale County."

Testimony and other evidence presented at trial established that Odle, 38, pointed a semi-automatic handgun at the tellers at the Dogwood Drive bank and demanded that they put money in a bag. Odle ordered several customers in the bank to get on the floor at gun point.

Officers of the city of Conyers Police Department apprehended Odle and his accomplice minutes after Odle left the bank. Police recovered all but $200 of the stolen money.

Kentner and Supervisory Assistant District Attorney Alisha Adams credited the city of Conyers Police Department with the successful prosecution. Officer Shyra Hardwick initially spotted the car in which Odle and his accomplice, Daniel Gustavo Honzu, 32, were traveling on Gees Mill Road. Honzu pulled the car into a parking lot and both Honzu and Odle got out of the car. Honzu then surrendered to Officer Hardwick, but Odle ran into a densely wooded unpopulated area with thick underbrush.

CPD officers set up a perimeter and combed the woods searching for Odle. The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office assisted in the search. CPD officers Sgt. Kristen Moore and Sgt. Guy Sanders found Odle lying on the ground in an attempt to conceal himself from police.

Color video from the bank's surveillance system showed the clothing the robber wore, including a cloth mask that completely covered his face. Odle shed his outer clothing while on the run in the woods, but police recovered the clothing in the wooded area, including the cloth mask and a pair of gloves.

Honzu, the driver of the getaway car, pleaded guilty last June. Former Chief Judge Sidney L. Nation Sr., sentenced him to 15 years, with the first 11 to be served in prison.