Newton County deputy charged with DUI

COVINGTON -- A Newton County Sheriff's Office deputy has been arrested and charged with DUI, according to NCSO Capt. Keith Crum.

Deputy Kevin Gregory Watkins, 45, was arrested and charged with DUI and speeding (35 to 55 mph over) by a Georgia State Patrol trooper on June 6. He was booked into the Newton County Detention Center at 11:34 p.m. and bonded out the next morning, Crum said.

Watkins has been with the NCSO since 2001 and works as the agency's quarter master, ordering supplies such as clothing, equipment, cleaning chemicals, etc. He is a certified deputy.

Crum said Watkins is currently on paid administrative leave, pending the outcome of an internal investigation.

The Georgia State Patrol is in charge of the investigation into the DUI. Trooper First Class C. Seymour stated he spotted Watkins in a Honda Accord travelling south at 81 mph on Ga. Highway 142 near the Quick Trip and Lockridge Boulevard around 10:30 p.m. on June 6.

The trooper said a field sobriety test was conducted and he determined Watkins to be DUI. Watkins submitted to a breath test at the jail which showed a blood alcohol content of .119, according to the GSP.

Comments

Del 10 months, 2 weeks ago

OUCH!!! and a 12 year veteran

Covingtonian 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Unfortunate but, due to the severity of the infraction plus his excessive speed thus increasing the likely hood of causing an accident This man's career in law enforcement should be over. The trooper should be commended for not looking the other way.

clandress 10 months, 1 week ago

Excellent point on commended the arresting officer. It restores some of my faith in law enforcement when they take the initiative to do whats right even when it involves one of their own. Well said.

John 10 months, 1 week ago

State troopers are not known to look the other way or cut traffic law offenders some slack but are well known & required to stay physically fit.

Covingtonian 10 months, 1 week ago

You don't know what you're talking about John, what do you base your uninformed comment on?

John 10 months, 1 week ago

I have friends that are troopers - we talk over a beer & a cookout now & then, have had neighbors that were troopers and watched them get ready for about a month for their physical endurance testing - every two years. Plus, I earned speeding tickets issued by the them - I was just going with the flow - they simply explained I can only stop one at a time and I was it.

They will give family a second chance but are not very fond of deputies.

Other than that I don't know what I am talking about.

Covingtonian 10 months, 1 week ago

This will be my final comment concerning this because I realize that I don't know it all and I can't presume to speak for any or all law officers. Apparently the troopers you chill out with or more aquaintances than friends because if you got a ticket from one of them for speedng while going with the flow, suggesting that you weren't the only car that could have been ticketed.......and as for your comment that they aren't fond of deputies tells me that you "don't know what you are talking about". Law officers are like a brotherhood and unless a fellow peace officer is blatantly breaking the law or involved in some activity that is extremely dangerous or just stupid they are shown a 'professional courtesy". This isn't automatically extended by all and depending on the officer be it a trooper ,deputy or policeman some of those are given a pass. I don't comment on a lot of articles for various reasons but especially if I have no idea of the subject matter...hint hint. Finally I too have known a few troopers since we had one in the family and I once got a break because I was a class mate in high school of the trooper that stopped me for speeding.

Billy 10 months, 1 week ago

Thanks for the comments, Cov; I swerved to avoid a collision with someone that deadstopped at a green light for no reason understood to man and was given a $180 fine by a GSP that enjoyed writing a ticket for going through a "gore" area, as if it was a major league crime; it was either that or an accident, but the diminutive man refused to see it that way. I see cop cars speeding all the time, obviously turning on sirens to run red lights, sitting in parking lots asleep on the job, tailgating me at the speed limit, and the worst, in speed traps, ready to give a ticket for 38 in a 35 to a working person. I hardly ever see a mercedes or bmw pulled over, but a car that you can tell is driven by a poor person--I've seen plenty of them. Then, they let other fellow officiers off more much more heinous crimes? I'm a big fan of the the police, but only outside of traffic cops. I see motorcycles pass me at 20-30 MPH over the limit 3-4 times a week and never once have I seen a motorcycle pulled over, and I'm 51 years old. Again, thanks for your comments...

John 10 months, 1 week ago

There you go again Covingtonian you made a misguided assumption that a trooper I knew gave me a ticket for speeding. This happened in Texas. You asked me what I based my comments on, I informed you and you can't seem to handle it as my comments does not support you viewpoint - well that's simply jsut part of life get used to it.