Maurice Carter to run for city council

Maurice Carter

Maurice Carter

COVINGTON -- Maurice Carter has announced that he will qualify in August to run for the East Ward Post 1 Covington City Council seat. The seat is currently held by Chris Smith, who is seeking re-election.

"I've criticized my East Ward representatives lately for a lack of vision and thoughtful leadership," Carter said in a press release. "As a citizen, I have that right to speak out when results are not meeting expectations. But, I also have an obligation to accept the responsibility of stewardship myself. That's why I am stepping forward to serve."

Carter said he feels too little is being done by current council members to grow the city's economic base, improve quality of life opportunities for residents and ensure a sustainable future.

"Reactive decisions and inconsistent actions without a clear plan are undermining progress and causing uncertainty about our future, he said. "We deserve better, and these times demand more."

He pointed to recent sign ordinance changes he called "ill-conceived" and the "poorly managed" process to replace retiring City Manager Steve Horton as examples.

Describing his platform, Carter said he will "get back to the basics of responsible leadership." He said he will actively listen to all viewpoints and make informed choices by seeking information and building professional relationships. "Good decisions flow from understanding our shared community vision, having clear strategies for achieving that vision, and making timely, thoughtful choices with clear intent," he said.

Carter has 31 years as a business and information technology consultant in the banking and computing fields. He has been employed for the last 17 years by IBM, leading globally integrated service delivery functions across Asia, Europe and the Americas. He has managed teams of up to 270 people and annual budgets in excess of $120 million.

Carter is an active volunteer in the Newton County community, serving currently on the boards of Newton Trails, for which he is a past chairman, Smart Growth Newton County and the Tourism Committee of the Covington-Newton County Chamber of Commerce. He previously spent four years as a board member for the Washington Street Community Center and is past president of the Covington Conyers Cycling Club.

In 2009 and 2010, Carter was recognized for his community service with The President's Volunteer Service Award from the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation.

Carter has been married for 31 years to his wife Kim, who previously served as Covington's mayor from 2008 to 2011.

For more information, visit www.electmaurice.com.

Qualifying for the non-partisan November Municipal Election takes place Aug. 26 through 30.

Comments

Lucy30016 1 year ago

I think his makeup is too heavy in this photo.

Meep 1 year ago

Hire a PR team dude and start with that photo.

tstark 1 year ago

An excellent candidate for City Council!

gsm7476 1 year ago

He will be bad for the City Don’t Vote for Him.

termlimits 1 year ago

Backdoor tax and spend liberal with a revenge agenda. Oh, and here comes the "Rails to trails" discussion (again) if he is elected. Just say "no".

John 1 year ago

Sounds like we have a 2013 version of Joe Willie Namath's 1969 auto biography "I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow - 'Cause I Get Better Looking Every Day" in the making.
It is easy to cite situations but offering solutions is much constructive.

Oh on the rail to trails issue - I wonder what the daily traffic flow is on that trail from EHS to the library - I haven't seen a report card on this project but I did walk it recently and didn't observe a whole lot of Georgia Red Dirt Stains - that concrete looked near new. And I don't live in the City.

deathtotaxes 1 year ago

I like and use the libray to EHS trail. I'm glad to see my tax dollars go towards something I can USE...unlike EBT cards, section 8 housing, heath care and so on. Get off you butt covington and do something heathy, use the trail.

Covingtonian 1 year ago

As of my post there has been six previous comments and half of them had to do with the way the man looks. Incredible! This is Monday the 15th and I'm still waiting for the citizen to publish something on a current city councilman who has a business but hasn't seen the need to get a business license or follow the rules about parking at said business located within the city limits. Do as I say and not as I do should be his next campaign slogan

mrsfingerprints 1 year ago

i guess you failed math there is one comment that says something about makeup but that is not 50% and it does not really talk against the way he looks - you sound like you need math and reading

Covingtonian 1 year ago

mrsfingerprints, I refuse to state the obvious in reply to you comment. I will say, read all the comments then reply.

will 1 year ago

Good point Covingtonian and what about the councilman who has a mother that refers to herself as the Paula Deen of Covington. Maybe we need an investigation.

MamaTurd 1 year ago

I love Paula Deen. She makes great buttermilk pancakes.

will 1 year ago

I love the real Paula Deen as well, its the one trying to copy her that I laugh at. The real Paula Deen is an awesome lady with tons of true southern charm, she is the real deal not a coat hanger.

Tatersalad 1 year ago

No way he will tax to the max and this is just to me avenging his wifes failed term.

dennistay53 1 year ago

One question- Is he a Ronald Reagan Conservative? If not don't vote for him.