The Newton Citizen Poll for July 7, 2013

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-483-7108, ext. 403. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"Chris Smith, every day, all day, grass clippings are blown out in the streets of Covington and all of 278. Your comments are a joke. This has been going on for years and nothing has ever been done about this."

"Message to the county commissioners who want to raise our property taxes: Come out, come out where ever you are! It's time to stop hiding from your voters, time to come out from under the bed and be responsible enough to tell us face to face that you are going to raise our taxes. We didn't elect you to hide from us when tough decisions had to be made. We expect you to be professional enough to answer our questions if we were professional enough to support your campaigns and vote for you. All of you are only making matters even worse by ignoring us, our emails and calls. Let me send this warning to these pro-tax commissioners: We seem to have less influence on people we send to Washington when they tell us one thing and do something different up there. We have a whole lot more impact here locally when that happens. Trust me."

"I thought Darrell Huckaby was a historian and a Christian and would know better than some of the distortion he puts into print. In a recent editorial he ridiculed President Obama and claimed he said the USA was no longer a Christian nation. In 2008, during Obama's first national campaign, the same out-of-context remark was circulated online as sinister evidence that the Democrat intended to curtail religious freedom in America. At the time, the spurious Internet chatter was debunked by FactCheck.org. Here's the full quote: 'Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation - at least not just," Obama said. "We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation and a Buddhist nation and a Hindu nation and a nation of non-believers.' ... Voters need to become informed and learn that the founding fathers created a secular government with separation of church and state as they knew the problems caused when the colonies had to support the Church of England with their taxes. Other faiths (Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.) were persecuted. ... "

"I would like to know where school board chair Abigail Coggin thinks NCSS is going to find money to pay a new SRO to take care of misbehaving students on the Ombudsman buses. Her public comment shows how little this board cares about taxpayer money in my opinion. Nurses and buses. Why don't we just adopt all the kids and give them all our money. When does individual responsibility of parents come into play?"

"As conservatives rage about the cost of Obama's Africa trip, it is important to remember that George and Laura Bush made a combined seven trips to Africa all on the taxpayers' dime. Anytime the nation's first black president spends more than a dollar, the right wing freaks out about Barack Obama 'wasting taxpayer dollars.' What these same people don't tell you is that George and Laura Bush loved to go to Africa on the taxpayers' dime. Laura Bush also took her daughters with her, and they went on a safari. You know, the same kind of outing that President Obama just canceled."

---"Thank you Hobby Lobby for the full page ad in the July 4th Citizen telling us of your dedication to God and Country. What a refreshing way to show your patriotism and fidelity. In an age when so many institutions have fallen prey to trendy immorality and secularism, your words were like a breath of fresh air. Thank you also for putting together pro-Christian words from the founders of our country to share with all of us. Those words put to lie the contention from militant, aggressive atheists that our founders were not religious men. I will be shopping at Hobby Lobby whenever I need products you carry. God bless you and God bless America!"

"Another news article, another chance for the Newton BOE to look

stupid yelling at each other during meetings. People, give it a rest. Man up and cut the crazy wasteful spending and put the arts stuff in the hands of the arts people. If they can't make a profit off of Snow White and Donald Duck after all the bills are paid, then get rid of it ... Too many softies and lefties running things, wanting to hire an additional SRO to manage bad kids on the ride home ... "

Comments

mrsfingerprints 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I just got sent this on the web people here is what your tax money pays for at the famous newton career academy see this link or Google NCCA Harlem Shake YouTube

Meep 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Shameful to the core and people wonder why lawmakers are fed up, with public education. Cannot make this stuff up.

CBSfinder 9 months, 2 weeks ago

No more money to these schools. I bet your SPLOST lovers sure regret this video getting out seeing damage done to a brand new building where are the leaders in this video? HOw does this happen during the school day? We need answers on this one. I would not let my kid leave EAstside High to go to this career thing if my life depended on it.

PaperChase 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Who is in charge of this chaos? Why am I working like a fool with my head cut off to make ends meet and this is what teachers and students do to brand new furniture and these people only work 178 or 180 days per year? This is an outrage of the highest order. Put them all to work all year like we do cause obviously all that is done in NCSS is a bunch of destruction and partying.

John 9 months, 2 weeks ago

And when George W. Bush was through with his second term what great strides were made towards irradicating HIV & Aids in the African nations. Sounds like money well spent from here.

dennistay53 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Since the tax hiker commissioners are in hiding and won't answer questions and Emails let's post the questions here and see if these good reporters can get answers. I will ask the first one to Commissioner Schulz. She said in her fireside chat that this wouldn't be a tax increase when millage was raised. Everyone buying a car tag under the old system will see the millage increase from 35 combined to 36 combined. Since the economy HASN"T lowered automobile values, and more will have to be paid to get your tag how is this NOT a tax increase? This WILL raise increased revenues on automobiles with same values as last year.

Duster 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Lets vote them out of office, and put some leadership that will 180 there choices. Put people in there that live a moral lifestyle and will listen to there public. You cant get them to answer there phone or e-mail, but you can go to any eating place and see them outside talking to there implanted followers (JD). I live in dist 1 and watching everything that is going on on my side of the county. (Baxter is a thorn in the side of this small farming comunity). I wonder what the time frame is for the building to the Sewerage plant on the little river and reverse flowing of the new line being installed on 278 is?

NWhitlow 9 months, 1 week ago

I really can't take it anymore and I can't leave either! I moved here from a gang infested apartment complex in Gwinnett 22yrs ago, and since then I have seen this county go down the creek with out the proverbial paddle and very few care. All folks want now days is their free govt handout (get a job). I can't sell my house, I can't sell my business, I can't leave! No one wants a Covington address anymore, or even an address in Newton or Rockdale. Thank God my kids are finally out of Newton Schools. The above video made us all sick! If this is how the new Career Academy administration is gonna let the students treat a brand new building, what do you think theses students will do in our own community! Just look around folks, it's here to stay. Just go by the new Walmart on Salem Road and you'll see :@) Where are THE PARENTS! We are raising a bunch of participation-trophy wimps by idiot parents and the whole country is in trouble. I quit!