Woman arrested after leaving 5-year-old in car while shopping at Kmart

COVINGTON -- A woman has been arrested after she allegedly left her 5-year-old child in a car with the windows up, telling him to hide on the floor under a towel so no one would see him, and went shopping.

Mary Amber Moore, 32, of 204 Church St., Buford, faces charges of contributing to the deprivation of a minor, obstructing a law enforcement officer and tampering with evidence in connection with the incident that occurred in the Covington Kmart parking lot Saturday around 7:30 p.m.

According to a Covington Police Department incident report, a passerby saw the crying child alone in the vehicle and notified 911.

When officers arrived, they noted the child was "sitting on the floor of the back seat of the car, sweating and holding a towel."

The vehicle was unlocked and officers opened the doors and got the child to safety.

"The car the juvenile was in was sitting in direct sunlight in the middle of the parking lot, without shade on an 89-degree day," the report states. The youngster told the officer that his mother told him "to stay in the car and stay on the floor with the towel covering (him), so as not to be seen."

Officers went inside Kmart, searching for the mother and located Moore.

"At this time she did not possess identification on her person. She asked officers to get it out of a small pink bag inside of her car. While retrieving her ID, prescription pill bottles were observed in the bag also," the incident report states.

Officers next conducted a consensual search of the bottles and discovered two different types of pills in the same bottle, which showed a prescription of Adderall in Moore's name; however, later statements by Moore indicated the prescription was actually for her sister.

"While attempting to locate a pill identification book, (Moore) grabbed the pill bottle from off of the trunk of a patrol vehicle and ingested all the pills in the container, which is believed to be approximately 14," the report states.

Officers prevented her from swallowing all of the pills and the report states "she spit the rest out onto the same trunk area."

She was taken to Newton Medical Center for treatment and was later discharged.

The Georgia Department of Family and Children's Service was notified about the incident and the 5-year-old victim was taken to CPD headquarters until his uncle could pick him up.