Carpenters to leave Newton schools this week

COVINGTON — A top school official and a high school principal are leaving the Newton County School System this week.

“In a settlement between the parties, the Newton County Board of Education has reached agreement with Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent for Operations, and LaQuanda Carpenter, principal of Alcovy High School, releasing each of them from their respective contracts effective at the end of the work day on Feb. 1, 2013, for Dr. Dennis Carpenter and effective at the end of the work day on Jan. 31, 2013, for Dr. LaQuanda Carpenter,” according to Sherri Davis-Viniard, director of Public Relations for NCSS, in a news alert Wednesday afternoon.

NCSS would not respond Wednesday to a question of whether the settlement cost anything of the system, saying it was a personnel matter and no additional information beyond what was in the alert will be released. The Citizen has submitted an open records request for information about the settlement.

“Both a majority of board members and the Carpenters feel it is in the best interest of the school system and their respective persons to sever the current employment relationship so that the system can begin the process of seeking their replacements and each of them can focus on their move to Missouri,” said Newton County BOE Chair Abigail Coggin in the alert.

In December, the Hickman Mills C-1 Board of Directors in Kansas City, Mo., finalized an agreement with Dennis Carpenter to begin as the district’s new superintendent effective July 1.

Dennis Carpenter has been with NCSS since February 2008, when he was hired as associate superintendent for Human Resources. LaQuanda Carpenter has been principal at Alcovy High School since 2009; she has been on maternity leave since November.

Coggin said the issue was a personnel matter, and the board’s policy is that personnel matters are addressed by BOE members during executive session and voted on during open session. The board next meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 12 in the Newton County BOE building, which is located at 2109 Newton Drive N.E. in Covington.

In October, LaQuanda Carpenter withdrew a pending lawsuit against Newton County Board of Education Vice Chairman Jeff Meadors in an effort to end divisiveness in the community. She originally had filed a defamation suit in April naming 11 “John Does” who commented about her on the Newton Citizen website; she later added Meadors and dismissed the others.

NCSS has not yet begun to advertise for either position.

Comments

tomgahunter 1 year, 10 months ago

Talk about good news.. now if we can just hire the best superintendent, not just 1 that makes Eddie Johnson.wants.

Frustrated 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder how much the school has to pay them to cancel their contract? Im sure they are geting some type of severance package. I hope the Citizen follows up on this and let us know.

roset568 1 year, 9 months ago

Both of them should pay the school to let them out of thier contracts. This has been a waste of our tax payer money on these two

eyewitness 1 year, 10 months ago

Settlement? With whose money? Details please. Can we all get a settlement?

FedUpJane 1 year, 10 months ago

Hallelujah! I say good riddance. I don't have any children in Newton School System any longer and am dang glad I don't. The Carpenter debacle was an embarrassment to our county and I'm glad they are gone! I also want to know if taxpayer money was given to them in a settlement. I'm sick of throwing away good money on BAD INVESTMENTS!!

Satan69 1 year, 10 months ago

I hear that we should all get paid for the crap they put us through.

Tatersalad 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's all have a party. I think this is the best news ever and now the county can recover from this mess.

Kodaanddylansmom 1 year, 10 months ago

Awwwwwww yes so glad they are going. Sigh of relief now let's get the county back in shape.

MamaTurd 1 year, 10 months ago

I think ole Stephanie should have to go.

Del 1 year, 10 months ago

I would hope since the Carpenters BROKE their contracts, THEY would pay the county for the DEVASTATION they have strewn upon our county.....While we know that is not the case, I sure would hate to see the county presented them with a severance package, would only mean time for more heads to roll. Now, If Eddie Johnson can be a silent participant at the meetings, things may actually start to improve

Shart15 1 year, 10 months ago

You don't get settlements in public schools time worked is time paid what is this all about? How much tax payer MONEY is being paid to them and is this legal? ANSWERS please.

mrsfingerprints 1 year, 9 months ago

If NCSS can afford a Carpenter buyout they do not need my SPLOST penny.

Thishonky 1 year, 9 months ago

I guess we can expect NCSS to end up in the red if Abigail "A Million Dollars is Not A Lot of Money" Coggin stays as chair. Paying the Carpenters? They are not finishing out the year and they are paid? This woman has had leave most of the school year and weeks last year and we are paying taxpayer money? I hope this board chair is called on the carpet for this one. OUT with the whole darn board if the Carpenters get paid then every single person they damaged in their litigious crap gets paid and NO SPLOST for you Newton BOE.

tomgahunter 1 year, 9 months ago

Unlike our previous school chairman Ms. Coggins is for the teachers and students. I think the 3 other school board members who voted with her to invest in our school system by increasing teacher pay did the correct thing.

None of us know there was a buy out of the Carpenters but I know it is a VERY GOOD thing to get them out of the school system NOW not later.. Personally I would have fired the Carpenters when they filed their firvolous suit but Eddie Johnson was the Chairman then.

amused 1 year, 9 months ago

If I express happiness and/or joy over their departure, will I be sued?

ThePublicGood 1 year, 9 months ago

Force transparency here somebody. Why in HELL pay them anything not to work? Recall this entire board that is my tax money.

conyersgirl 1 year, 9 months ago

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY & HOPEFULLY THEIR REPLACEMENTS WILL BE REPUTABLE & DESERVING TO WORK WITH OUR KIDS!!!

sunshine 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks goodness, heck pay them get them out of this county!

Frustrated 1 year, 9 months ago

“In a settlement between the parties, the Newton County Board of Education has reached agreement with Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent for Operations, and LaQuanda Carpenter, principal of Alcovy High School, releasing each of them from their respective contracts". Please release the details of the settlement. I Eddie had anything to do with it I bet they got a pretty penny.

MamaTurd 1 year, 9 months ago

Please don't get too excited for the love of god you may get a subpoena or even 8 for expressing to much joy. Ha. That's to funny.

John 1 year, 9 months ago

NCSS now has a chance to improve the situation withe the Carpernters moving and the search for a new Superintendent. But it seems to me that the BOE members might need need some adjustments too - some BOE member seem to think that and try to make you believe that throwing money at "brick & motar" like drunken sailors will make better students - NOT. Existing buildings can be added on to, technology can be installed & needs to be up be updated no matter the buildings age - it iis a fast change world we live in. For example, I attended a high school that is well over 100 years old & is still active today adn no plan on teh drawing board to replace it. Yep, it has been added on to & technology updated. The students & taxpayers are doing just fine and the school system has consistently performed above the state average and this the state school system is ranked nationally well above Georgia ratings by a long shot - the state is well known as a blue collar state.

Thishonky 1 year, 9 months ago

I got a copy of some of the deposition documents last night and it is outrageous that LaQuanda Carpenter filed a lawsuit based on what these documents show. I hope this gets put out in the paper.

eyewitness 1 year, 9 months ago

Can you post an address where I can email for those deposition docs?

MamaTurd 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes please I would LOVE to read this stuff I want the whole thing, Mathews first letter, the talking points, the depositions I have called that law office more than once I can't wait to read this!

Satan69 1 year, 9 months ago

No SPLOST for this board if they can waste money like this they do not need a continuance of Splost.  Vote NO March 19th.

John 1 year, 9 months ago

Can someoe confirm if the Greyhound bus left on time or got caught in a storm on the way to the "Show Me State"?

Billy 1 year, 9 months ago

It ended well, with the lawsuit couple riding off in the sunset to an unsuspecting school system elsewhere. I hate it, but better them than us...

MamaTurd 1 year, 9 months ago

A lot of people are blaming ms black for making them leave early. I have 2/things to say tonthat , one if they weren't hiding something they wouldn't have left so soon . 2 I would own it and be proud that i had done it. Lol.