Father of newborn at Newton Medical arrested after fight with mother of child

COVINGTON — Authorities at Newton Medical Center called the Covington Police when a fight broke out between the mother and father of a newborn in their Neonatal Intensive Care Unit on Monday afternoon.

Arrested was Robbie Avery, 21, of 180 Old River Road, who was charged with battery under the Family Violence Act and probation violation.

According to the CPD incident report, officers arrived at the hospital and were escorted to the mother’s room by security personnel.

“(The mother) was sitting outside (the room) in a wheelchair and (the father) was on the bed getting his blood pressure checked by the nursing staff and two other security guards were there,” the report states. “The house supervisor told me that the couple had gotten into an argument and then (the father) was acting out and yelling and using excessive foul language.”

The officer said from outside the room, he could hear the suspect yelling, “The police is here. They ain’t gonna do nothin!”

Officers entered the room where Avery was and after he calmed down he told them that the mother of his child had given birth on Jan. 19. Monday afternoon the couple was walking back to the wife’s hospital room from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and got into an argument.

“Once they were in the room, he said (the victim) grabbed her phone and tried to call her mother,” the report states. “That is when (Avery) slapped the phone out of her hand and stated it went flying into the corner. He then stated that he grabbed his phone and tried to call his mother. (He) stated that (the victim) then slapped his phone out of his hand. He then hit her across the face and when she tried to hit him back, (he) bit her in the right hand and left visible teeth marks. There was also visible bruising to the left side of (the victim’s) face.”

The report goes on to say that Avery stated he was defending himself, but was unable to show officers any marks that had been left on him.

“He kept stating that he was not going to let her just hit him and he would defend himself by fighting back,” the report states.

The victim, who still had marks from being slapped and bit, said she was trying to call her mother and Avery attacked her by biting and slapping her.

As officers led Avery away, he continued to make threats toward the victim. Hospital security warned Avery verbally not to return to the hospital grounds unless he had a medical emergency.

In other crime news, a Laurel Drive resident called the CPD around 11 p.m. Tuesday to report that he thought someone had placed firecrackers in his outdoor garbage can. Upon closer inspection, officers found evidence that several gunshots had been fired into the victim’s home.

Officers found what they described as “half-dollar sized holes” in the window panes to the man’s bedroom and upon inspecting the interior of the house, officers noted several holes in the walls of his room.

“From what we were able to determine: There were at least a total of four rounds that made contact and went into the residence with three rounds coming into (the victim’s) bedroom (two through the window and one into the exterior siding) and one round going into the living room area and continuing into the kitchen,” the report states.

The victim stated his mother and his daughter also lived at the residence, but were in rooms on the other side of the residence when the shots were fired.

The CPD is following several leads in connection to this incident.

Comments

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

I absently made the comment when reading the headline of this article, "why would a man fight the mother of his new born baby? When someone who overheard me said "He may have realized that it wasn't his baby".

John 1 year, 6 months ago

Any man that hits any women no matter teh situation isn't worth a plug nickle. This kid is a punk - even though he is 21 he hasn't grown-up.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

"No matter the situation", Slow your roll John. I think most people would agree, if there was an extremist that had "her" body wrapped wth explosives with the intent of detonating said explosives in a crowd, we would not hesitate to hit, shoot or otherwise neutralize the threat. Our soldiers are having to deal with such situations. My grandmother once told me to always respect women but that a woman has to be careful not to put herself in a mans place or she can expect to be treated as such.I agree with granny.

John 1 year, 6 months ago

My comment is in reply to your post where you seem to have taken some joy in stating this comment - "When someone who overheard me said "He may have realized that it wasn't his baby". Why would you do that when you have no facts, probably don't even know the people involved only a "someone" making a very shallow comment, it is none of our business. The roll will not slow.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Say what you mean and mean what you say John. Whether or not I found humor in the comment made to me or not was and is my business, You seem to want to comment on what you think has merit, I suggest you don't even read my comments. You and people like you (know it alls) I usually choose to just ignore anyway.

will 1 year, 6 months ago

Your granny sounds just like you, ignorant. Do you abuse your wife or are you on the down low?

OnToday 1 year, 6 months ago

Self defense my left eye. I'm sure the first thing most women think to do right after experiencing the trauma, pain, and overwhelming sense of joy and accomplishment is to beat the snot out of the baby daddy. Unfortunately now this punk has two potential victims. I sure hope he received counseling and help so that he doesn't continue his abuse. Allegedly.

momofone 1 year, 6 months ago

By both parents statements, the physical fight started when he slapped the phone out of her hand. He is a bully, probably was a bully before this day and will always be a bully. I really hope that she realizes it now and does not allow him back into her or the baby's life UNTIL he has counseling and has dealt with his demons. I doubt it will happen, but one can hope. BTW John, grow up, if you don't want people to respond to you, don't comment.

John 1 year, 6 months ago

momofone, Don't really & never have had a problem with anyone responding to anything I have said or written but when comments are a bit "off the wall" they do deserve an appropiate reply. Plus, the last I checked I still can freely state my opinions. Good Night momophone!!!

amused 1 year, 6 months ago

Also arrested on a "probation violation." If the judge had been allowed to order that he have the ever-living-you-know-what beaten out of him the first time he got in trouble instead of putting him on probation (what a joke), he might know what it feels like and not be doing it to a woman in the hospital.

Eagerly looking forward to reading about his future criminal exploits and career in the Citizen.

momofone 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, first of all John, his comment may have been a little strange but I think that he was just responding to your comment and if you have no problem with people responding to your comment why are you so defensive? and I am a mother of one which is why my log in is momofone-not momphone (which I am assuming was a typographical error and not intentional).