Man victim of drive-by shooting in Silos subdivision

COVINGTON -- The Newton County Sheriff's Office is looking for leads in the case of man who was shot as he walked down a neighborhood street on the west side of the county Wednesday night.

According to NCSO spokesman Capt. Keith Crum, the incident occurred around 11:15 on Greenway Drive in the Silos subdivision.

The Sheriff's Office was notified by Newton Medical Center that an 18-year-old male was in their emergency room, suffering from a gunshot wound to his leg.

When investigators arrived on the scene, the man told them he had parked his car and was walking to a friend's house when a tan Impala with silver rims, occupied by three black males, drove past him.

"As the car was passing, he said he heard a popping sound which startled him and he ran back to his vehicle," Crum said. "He then felt a burning sensation and something running down his leg and disovered it was blood and that he had been shot in the leg."

The young man said he then called a friend who took him to the hospital for treatment. The wound was a "through and through" gunshot wound and he was treated and released.

NCSO investigators ask anyone who may have knowledge of anything relating to this incident to call Investigator Tyrone Majors at 678-625-1453 or go to their website at www.newtonsheriffga.gov and leave an anonymous tip.

Comments

will 1 year, 8 months ago

The Silos subdivision is a war zone, this happens because of the gang presence in that ghetto. I bet this kid knows who shot him but he will never tell because of retaliation. It seems like its always black males pulling the trigger. These black thugs bring nothing but violence to the area, we should kick them out of Newton county and if they live with their mom kick her out as well. You know that the baby daddy is in jail or nowhere close.

Neuhierl 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree that the kid probably knows who shot him. Why didn't he call the police right away? If he lives with his parents, they have an obligation to the community to require that he tell the police who shot him.

Neuhierl 1 year, 8 months ago

The Silos is NOT a war zone in fact we have a Neighborhood Watch program that is proving to be very successful in reducing crime. Be assured, the Neighborhood Watch will be on the lookout for this car and the shooter(s) as will the Newton County Sheriff Department as they patrol the neighborhood regularly. One of the issues we have with crime is the "broken window" syndrome. If the Newton County BOC would repair our crumbling roads, we wouldn't look like a war zone.

Frustrated 1 year, 8 months ago

Im sure repaving the streets would decrease the crime in that neighborhood.

OnToday 1 year, 8 months ago

My neighborhood watch ismore successful than yours. Know why? Because we have never had anyone shot in the streets.

John 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah we have one of those Neighborhhod Watch Signs in our neighborhood too. But hardly ever do we see a NCSO deputy patrolling. A year ago I called 911 to report an attempted breaking by 3 hooded "punks" on my propety - I & my dog ran them off. NCSO response time about 26 minutes (then two showed up at the same time - hmmm maybe they were on donut break?? or busy at the Silos). They said the would drive around the neighborhood & check it out. I suggested they start at the Alabama line as these "punks" are long gone. This was in east NC right of 278.

sunshine 1 year, 8 months ago

The Silo's is a joke! I moved out here so that my son could have a decent education vs Dekalb county but thanks to all the gang activity in the neighborhood, my son was threatened and will never go to public school again! Thanks Silo's and all you lil punks out there!

Del 1 year, 8 months ago

I remember when "The Silos" was a nice little farm on Brown Bridge Road.....Then a certain County Commissioner (insider) bought it up and developed it in to what it is today....A War Zone.....Then the Congress (Barney Frank and Chris Dodd) said everyone should be able to buy a house, The Hood is Born......The ex county commissioner got filthy rich and the county suffered and continues to suffer......A nice sprawling lot with the same house would have been nice but, no, Pile those houses on each other....more houses more money.....

bigmac 1 year, 8 months ago

I used to live next door to the Silo's subdivision before I was part of the white flight that left Newton County. I could see the writing on the wall when the little girl was raped on a Sunday afternoon by 5 thugs in the neighborhood. They weren't all living in the neighborhood some were visting friends. I caught kids stealing things from my property. The peoplle living there constantly threw things and tresspassed on my property. I did get revenge by selling out to a developer making a nice profit before the bottom fell out of the economy. Now all my dear friends see is over grown weeds and a partially developed subdivision. We begged the commisioners not to put a subdivision with that many homes in. But what do you expect when builders were saying don't work we pay closing costs etc. What kind of people did you think were going to bye those homes. I thank the good lord every day for the recession and higher gas prices the urban sprawl has at least been stalled for a few more years untill i retire and leave Georgia forever!

SMH 1 year, 8 months ago

A few years ago I was living in a subdivision off Brown Bridge Rd. and had to call the police because someone broke into my car. The officer arrived in less than 5 minutes, and when we expressed our surprise at the quick arrival he stated that he was "camped out" at The Silos, which was his nightly post. This officer said that Hurricane Katrina refugees were still living in The Silos for a mere $1 per month rent and had no intentions of leaving because they had it too good. Kind of makes one wonder if that's still the case today, and that's why the 'hood is in it's current state. There are too many people who don't work for what they want because they're too busy robbing, raping and shooting in order to get what everyone else works hard for.

jwm1955 1 year, 8 months ago

It has been 4 years and a month since Bush has been replaced with a muslium, I belive it is time for you to put the blame on Obama who has doubled the national debt. A senate that has not passed a budget in 3 years and does not mind spending taxpayer money like it grows on trees.

dennistay53 1 year, 8 months ago

@jwm1955 Im with you. The question was for the Liberals who keep blaming Bush for Obamas failures as they are brainwashed. They will still be blaming Bush in 2016