Newton Citizen Poll for Aug. 18, 2013

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-483-7108, ext. 403. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

“Monday at about 1 p.m. I turned from Washington Street onto Brown Street on my way to the Covington Post Office and the lady ahead of me stopped in the middle of the road, got out and proceeded to take care of something in the back of her SUV as if she was parked in the drive at home. I normally avoid this section of the street because of the day care activities and some of the parents stopping in the roadway to load and unload their kids. Why is this behavior tolerated? There was a gentleman behind me in a pickup truck who was partially stuck on Highway 81 because of this lady’s unexpected action and the amazing thing was there were empty parking spaces next to the church. I don’t like complaining about what churches do or don’t do but many of these parents don’t even attempt to pull to the side of the street, they just stop as if it’s their right. City Council, Chief Cotton, Pastor …”

—-

“Just saw on the news about the painting at Alcovy High School with the words ‘God is dead.’ From the way it sounded nothing was going to be done about it. I have a real problem with that. First of all, God is not dead but very much alive. And second of all, if it had said, ‘God is king’ there would have been a piece of duct tape across it in a heart beat. Sounds like double standards to me and I certainly would not want this … teacher teaching my child.”

—-

“According to the Citizen, a company has been awarded a grant of $118 million, presumably taxpayer funds, to deploy thousands of electric car chargers in major cities. And Covington is about to receive a couple. What happened to free enterprise? When automobiles went on the streets in the early 20th century, oil companies were quick to provide gas stations. Why aren’t the power companies providing charging stations? The reason may be, as one power company executive put it a few years ago, ‘We’d be glad to get the revenue, but I’m not sure we could keep up with the demand.’ It’s interesting that the president has called for a billion dollars to improve the nation’s power grid under the guise that people are suffering power shortages due to bad weather. He also said during his first term that he wanted one million electric cars on the road by 2014. The total electric car (not the hybrid) represents the loss of the freedom of instant mobility. Programming your lifestyle around the charging of your car, such as ‘shopping and dining in Covington while your car charges,’ is a step backward in the quality of life in what is supposed to be a free country. Just imagine an all-electric vehicle society. You call 911 and get the response. ‘I’m sorry, all our fire trucks/ambulances are on charge, but we’ll send one as soon as we can.’”

—-

“About two weeks ago, I observed a very labor intensive maintenance project going on over a two-day period on 278. Each day there was a crew of at least two Newton County employees involved in cutting that ‘lil ole trapezoidal-looking grass strip that somewhat resembles the neighboring state to the north — Tennessee. The area I’m talking about is where all those beautiful crape myrtle trees used to be and was replaced with that California-style concrete look. On the first day, they cut the grass (employed the resources of manpower — at least two I saw, the super might have been in the truck), trucks, lawnmower, etc. On the second day, there was two more personnel out there with a truck and they were hand-raking this monument to the state of Tennessee. I said to myself what is wrong with this picture? I have 18,000-square-feet of grass to mow — which I do walking behind a self-propelled Craftsman mulching mower every week. It takes me 2-1/2 hours to ‘git ‘er dun’ when it is hot out and I take frequent water breaks and I am retired and have been eligible for almost four years for Medicare. I further understand from Robert Moon of the GDOT that all this road construction was done as a joint effort between GDOT and Newton County personnel. Then I said to myself, what were they thinking (or drinking)? What a long-term commitment (as long as that grass keeps growing — I’ve cut mine in January every now and then) to wasting manpower (a precious resource, I understand), money (another precious resource, I understand), if an all concrete median strip is good for 142, why not on 278? If this is truly a monument to the state of Tennessee, why not just cover it in orange Astro Turf and save the time and effort? Oh, the main reason I spoke with Mr. Moon is that I fully believe those areas that fall off on a steep angle are not in compliance with the maximum allowable by GDOT standards by a good margin — I actually measured the fall off angles in several places at the two areas of concerns. My concerns were safety based. Some days you just gotta’ shake your head. Oh, I’m not from Tennessee, but moved here from the Long (Ed. Note: Lone) Star State. That’s enough ranting. Have to go get another cup of coffee.”

Comments

mansfield 8 months, 1 week ago

I agree with the comments on the God is Dead painting at Alcovy High School. They wouldnt for a second have a painting saying God is King or God is Great! But the school system digs in its heels to protect a God is Dead painting. Who for a second thinks they would allow a painting insulting Islam or Judism? No one in their right minds. But its open season on Christians and the Newton School board has joined the fight. Remember that three of the school board members are up for reelection next year, Hold them accountable.

ThePublicGood 8 months, 1 week ago

My board member is in district one. I do not know where Alcovy falls but I was told he objects to the artwork and has told the new superintendent how he feels about it.

TheUpside 8 months, 1 week ago

This high school lies in Meadors district lucky him I bet he would like to make it disappear this school is a 24/7/365 pain. I live across from Alcovy and was told he is against the artwork. I bet he would like to rezone this school to Johnson's district.

heavenlygirl 8 months, 1 week ago

It is way south near the Jasper line I don't think it is in his area.

Thishonky 8 months, 1 week ago

If it said GOD IS ALIVE on the art no matter what book it comes from they would tear it off the wall on the first day it would not be up for years. The fact that it is up for more than a year says a lot don't you think about this school and system? There is an answer to all of this: put your kids in private school or home school or the K.12.com cyber school which is public school. Take away the seat count and the school will in time close down. It needs to do so doncha think this one school has made Newton County look bad for about 4 years now.

mansfield 8 months, 1 week ago

Message to the school board and superintendent: Defending this God is Dead painting is making the situation even worse. It's not going away until that painting is gone and then we will remember who kept it up even after the people wanted it taken down.

SaveEastsideHigh 8 months, 1 week ago

Why would a new Superintendent let this go on it would be down Monday at 7 a.m. what is wrong with this town? School board chair - WHAT SAY YOU???????

Shart15 8 months, 1 week ago

There is a Newton BOE school board meeting this Tuesday night at 7 p.m. at 2109 Newton Drive, Covington, GA 30014. SIgn up at 6:45 p.m. on the form to have your five minute public participation time allowed by the Newton BOE and you cannot attack the board members but you can have your voice heard about the God is Dead situation that has gone viral. Tuesday, August 20th, 7 p.m., 2109 Newton Drive, Covington, GA 30014. You may contact Sherri Davis at the school board to sign up to speak public. 770.784.2908 is her school phone.

heavenlygirl 8 months, 1 week ago

After reading the God is Alive in Newton FB page I would not waste my time on this woman contact these people at the Department of Education the heat stays on they will give in

MEDIA CONTACTS: Matt Cardoza, mcardoza@gadoe.org, (404) 651-7358 or Keisha Ford-Jenrette, kford@gadoe.org (404) 657-2949 - Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

Lucy30016 8 months, 1 week ago

You can join the God is Alive FB page at this link it is a public page and was discussed on Atlanta's FOX 5 last night at 11:30 p.m. after the ballgame: https://www.facebook.com/godisaliveinnewtoncounty

heavenlygirl 8 months, 1 week ago

This page has almost 700 followers wow wee. This lady is taking a stand and I support her. Even if you don't agree is this what Alcovy High needs to be in the news about I mean really.

NoSPLOST 8 months, 1 week ago

You pay taxes for the anti-God artwork. Here is a public participation link to explain how you can have a public formal stand that is taped and live: http://www.newtoncountyschools.org/board-of-education/public-participation.aspx

Schools come to us the taxpayers when they beg and grovel for penny sales taxes so they will just need to listen to us when we tell them God is alive and well and Alcovy High School is getting to be an old story of how bad Newton County is.

NoSPLOST 8 months, 1 week ago

here is the link to the Newton BOE members flood their emails and the phones with your voices http://www.newtoncountyschools.org/board-of-education.aspx if they tell Ms. Mitchell and all parents at Alcovy or not even at Alcovy they have not heard from enough of us let them hear. This is a serious slap at students who sit in classrooms like this whether they live in Alcovy district or not.

mrsfingerprints 8 months, 1 week ago

The situation at Alcovy High is so unneeded don't they have math and science to do? They have had bad graduation rates and test scores since they opened and they want to stay more in the news papers and websites with this not needed thing? I don't get schools anymore I don't get them at all. If you cannot pray or hang posters that say I love God or God is Alive and hey woman the Bible is literature and is studies both as a religious and spiritual book and as literature in many places so I say hang Bible verses all over Alcovy High on story boards and let's see what happens.

John 8 months, 1 week ago

Hey, all those millions of projected electric cars on the road will probably take a lot longer than the Prez thinks, G-M did a major cut production of their Volt sales not as projected, even with all that bailout money & big buyer rebates. No much on the news about that compared to all the visions of grandeur when the rebate program was announced. Silence Is Not Always Golden especially when ones claims to be transparent. As I see it an if the US converts to all electric vehicle will create a major economic boom for the towing companys as all those G-M Volts take on a nickname given to FoMoCo - F.O.R.D. (found on the road dead as in battery). But who tows the tower carring a towee?

John 8 months, 1 week ago

Just a couple side notes worth recalling, G-M has always been on the for front of introducing fuel efficent automobile to help American wean off fossil fuel. In but not very succesful track record, in 1979 and early 1980's G-M brought to market the infamous front wheel drive "fuel efficent - X body car line like the Citation (sold 800K first year) and a little later the General Motor passenger car "diesel" engine (not to be confused with the G-M 3.53 which was a great truck engine. This part of history G-M would like to forget. The X body car line was hard to stop (loss of braking) & had charactristic of the late Elvis Presley hit song- "Shake, Rattle & Roll". The pass car diesel, actually a converted big block 350 gasoline engine, had all sorts of problems, like in the fuel injection system, did not like to start in the "cold temperatures of central Texas" and lots of engine vibration, that caused the transmission torque converter to fail without warning about 35K miles (good news for G-M it was past the warranty period. Oh, I had one as a company car in 1982) and it did not start for almost 2 weeks in Waco, TX when it was cold about 0 F, when it hit +32F no problem starting.

JimNance 8 months, 1 week ago

They been teaching a religion for decades now.....it is called, secularism and this fits into it.

This is the main reason why more kids get into drugs and drinking and they have sex and get STD's and why children are having children.

They have been shoving "There is no god" down the childrens throats everyday.

That is why they bar any positive mention of religion.

They allow tons of negative mentions of religion all the time.

JimNance 8 months, 1 week ago

It is easy.

Vote out the school board.

heavenlygirl 8 months, 1 week ago

This has turned in to a bunch of school employee egos. The problem here is that any teacher who both puts this on the classroom wall and insists on leaving it up for more than a year has in my opinion an ulterior motive and is part of the problem. Then the school people who demand that it stays up are doing them own selves in by making the community hate the school even more. This school has never seen fit to focus on the right things and this is another example. Business partners need to boycott Alcovy High and the Newton system to show that we believe differently in Newton County after all we pay the salaries for all of these people who want this type of bad language hanging on the walls of the schools we pay to operate. I am fed up with NCSS.

shaftedcitizen 8 months, 1 week ago

As a parent I do not depend on the public schools or any government agency to teach religion to my children. Teaching religion is the parent’s job that being said take your child to church. Eastridge Community Church holds services every Sunday at Alcovy High.

dennistay53 8 months, 1 week ago

I don't care where this poster came from it needs to be taken down or others saying God is Alive and Great should be allowed to go up beside it. You either let all posters with the word God in it or you allow none.

Bemused 8 months, 1 week ago

The reason your point is asininely wrong is that the "God is Dead" is from a work of literature, something that our students are in desperate need of these days judging by their woeful inability to conduct even a basic conversation. Your idea of posters advocating for a God of a religion that not everyone in this county believes in violates the Separation Clause of the US Constitution. Don't you believe in the Constitution?

dennistay53 8 months ago

Doesn't the school system believe in the constitution? They wouldn't let posters supporting God to be put up beside them. What these students are in desperate need of is a church environment with youth ministers to help them learn what is right or wrong and who to hang out with. Or I guess we could keep building prisons. Separation of church and state was put in the constitution so NO one church could take over and run the government. It was not put in to eliminate churches and God as many are trying to use it for today.

Bemused 8 months ago

And your premise is still off because you are basing your entire argument on the notion that everyone is a Christian. Would you be willing to let the students openly worship Allah? What about Buddha? You, and the close-minded knee-jerk reacting yokels of this town, are advocating the teaching of religion in the schools and I don't pay taxes for that! If people want their kids taught religion in school, then send them to a private religious school or home school them. Don't use my tax money for it. This entire incident was blown completely out of proportion by people who have never even read the work, seen the play or had even an inkling that it was a display of student art about a piece of literature. Heavens forbid we have children that are pushed out of their comfort zones and have their minds expanded!

jduncan 8 months, 1 week ago

Amazing how anything remotely negative concerning Mr.Meadors doesn't get posted by this newspaper.

Shart15 8 months, 1 week ago

That is a total lie they put in a whole section in a citizen poll when someone was mad at him for standing up for charter schools and I agree with him on that they are needed especially in this state. I think just because he and Douglas don't like the Alcovy artwork you need to pick and needle.

SaveEastsideHigh 8 months, 1 week ago

Thank the GOOD LORD my kids go to Eastside High. I can tell you our principal would never put up with this. Lookie here peeps we have made the national news again over this mess I bet BAXTER is sick of this too huh?

phone 8 months, 1 week ago

Yes, thank goodness for that. Eastside High only has problems like one of it's students getting arrested for murder this month.

Lucy30016 8 months, 1 week ago

This took place in a housing project not the school.

phone 8 months, 1 week ago

You are correct. However, the shooter was a student at Eastside High. My point being that while Eastside is a great school, the lady who thanks God that her kids go there should not think it is immune from its own problems.

LOVINGLIFE 8 months, 1 week ago

SAVEEASTSIDEHIGH , Thank the lord your kids go to EASTSIDE???? You do know that a student from your Illustrious Eastside has allegedly shot someone dead a few miles from the school last week don't you???. I wonder if Baxter has heard that news.. I'm sure that student brought tidings of joy to the school.....

John 8 months ago

This terrible situation has nothing to do with what high school this student went to but has everything to do with the footsteps his parents made for him to follow and their failure to accept their "full time" responsibility of properly raising & providing for a child they mutually brought into this world - it is a 24/7/365 or 366 job. My son went to EHS and there are the same issues there too, just not the frequency. The principal is not the primary reason why EHS has less reporting of issues, it is the number of involved parent, as in the students life & with the schools tehy go to) that make the difference. For the record EHS has had 4 different prinicpals since 2005 and a new one this year - which one made the difference? I have total respect for the last two - I knew them when they were coaches.