0

Covington 16-year-old faces murder charges in Friday night slaying

COVINGTON — The 16-year-old who is believed to be the shooter in the slaying of a 19-year-old man at the Covington Housing Authority Friday night is in a Juvenile Detention Center facing charges of felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

A hearing will be held to determine if the teen will be tried as an adult, according to Covington Police Public Information Officer Capt. Ken Malcom, who added that more charges could follow.

Quintavian Vanard Johnson, 19, died as a result of gunshot wounds. A second teen was wounded in the arm and was treated and released at Newton Medical Center.

Johnson was a student at Newton County School System’s Ombudsman School, an alternative program. The young man who was wounded is not an NCSS student. The 16-year-old suspect, whose name is being withheld because of his juvenile status, is an Eastside High School student.

Malcom said detectives are still working on the case and a motive has not yet been discovered.

“We have no information at all that leads us to believe the murder was gang-related. We are still interviewing people who may have knowledge about what happened and the events that led up to what happened. All we know is that there was an altercation that escalated into gunfire,” he said.

The CPD is asking anyone who may have information related to this incident to call them at 770-786-7605; go to their website at www.covingtonpolice.com; or use the mobile-to-mobile app called TipSubmit.

Malcom said law enforcement officials are aware that threats were made in connection with the shooting over social media.

The Newton County Sheriff’s Office provides school resource officers at the country’s high schools and middle schools and supervisor NCSO Lt. Charles Ledford has alerted them to be on the lookout for potential problems.

“Our school resource officers are aware of the incident and the alleged threats and are monitoring the situation. So far there have been no issues, no disruptions, no protests, nothing,” said NCSO Public Information Officer Deputy Cortney Morrison Monday. “It’s just a normal school day.”

NCSS Director of Public Relations Sherri Davis-Viniard said the school system is also closely watching the situation.

“We are aware of threats of retaliation that were posted on Twitter over the weekend so our school resource officers were on alert for anything out of the ordinary at the schools. There were no incidents reported today (Monday),” she said. “We had some students who were obviously upset about the student’s death, but that’s to be expected. We have counselors in place to aid any students who need someone to talk to.”

Comments

PersonalJesus 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Where is Jesse and Al the race ambassadors? Where is Jeremiah Wright? I am Trayvon 35 years ago.

0

Sign in to comment