Newton Citizen Poll for April 14, 2013

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1349. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"Why can't the county commission leave us and our gun rights alone? It seems like they are never happy except when they can intrude in our lives, tell us what to do or come collecting our taxes. I have voted for conservatives and Republicans all my adult life and did last year, too. The Republicans in office in Newton County need to know that I can easily sit at home next election or even vote against them if they carry through on this gun restriction effort. Criminals don't give a hoot what the law is and don't care what the commissioners do this time. Only law-abiding citizens will be restricted and the criminals will go on like before. Arrest the crooks and leave us alone!"

"I do not understand why teachers and administrators receive bonuses (in some school districts) for children passing their academic testing. Apparently, I have lived under a rock, because until the Atlanta PS testing scandal, I did not realize an administrator could be given hundreds of thousands of dollars for doing his/her job. Isn't that really what teachers/administrators are suppose to do -- help children reach their academic potential and pass? Why aren't bonuses given back to the classrooms/schools where those children (often against the odds) gave 100 percent to pass the test? All we keep hearing are schools need more money, so why are those earned bonuses not being put back into the system to help the children succeed? And, before I have school employees jumping on the 'you don't understand how hard teachers work' bandwagon, let me state that I am a teacher and my contract renewal depends upon my students' success and I do not receive a large bonus check for doing what I was hired to do."

"So, the county commission is going on the road to meet in every district during their budget writing process? Excellent idea! For a county that just suffered through an election with a 3.3 percent turnout, the proposal to take the government to the people has great merit. I salute Commissioner Douglas for the idea and the other commissioners for their strong support. With that type of innovation and teamwork, we can make progress in this county and keep it a great place to work and live."

"Way to go Newton County Board of Education! Of the three finalists for superintendent one doesn't have a doctorate (but she's 'popular') and the other two have on-line doctorates from a school known to be a 'degree factory.' I suppose that if we're going to dumb down the students we might as well do the same for our administration."

"Look out fellow senior citizens, we are in Obama's sights for his 2014 budget. Why is it whenever he needs something to cut, we are his target? He doesn't care about us obviously. He, his administration and all those on Capitol Hill (both Republican and Democrat), don't have to worry about getting old. They are assured a Cadillac health insurance policy and huge retirement for the rest of their lives. When everyone runs for office, they promise what people want to hear, but once elected, they do the opposite. Obama's Death Panels are right around the corner too! Any of you who voted for him are finally getting his message loud and clear, just too late. We need to contact all of our sitting Representatives and Senators and tell them, if they vote for his insane plan, we will make sure they are out of work, when they come up for re-election again. Our voices can be heard and the time is now, not later! Patriots -- if you care about this country and what is happening to it -- stand up and be counted. Our very lives depend on it. Final Thought -- if Obama and all those on the Hill were paid for their productivity, none of them would deserve a paycheck!"

"I want to comment on all the school shootings in the last 15 to 20 years or so. It ain't necessarily that we need gun control. It's all the 50 states in the last 15 to 20 years that have all the pantywaist judges in courts that haven't been sentencing people like they should. They just slap them on the hands and are letting them go. An example is the ... man that killed a State Patrol around Christmas and he hadn't been in jail not once, not twice, not three times, but 19 times. How many times does a person need to go to jail and then he's out committing more violent crimes? It's the justice system's fault because they let people slide so much. Thank you very much."

"I have been researching all of the superintendent candidates. I think the school board members need to strongly consider the man who has done this job in two locations and done the associate kind of work in yet a third location. No ill feelings against Ms. Fuhrey. I think she is a really nice lady and smart, but we are at a point where we need a superintendent who both lives in Newton County and has done the job before and this man has. So I like Ms. Fuhrey and beg her to stay in NCSS as her day will come if they choose Mr. Samuel Light. I did some research on all three and some things worry me so I am leaving that out and staying positive. Go with Light first and Fuhrey next if you cannot find yourself choosing Light."

Comments

eyewitness 1 year ago

Having a doctorate does not make you good. An online doctorate tells me a lot about ego. Gwinnett and Rockdale supes do not have doctorates.

John 1 year ago

AS the say a colege degree ofat any level & a quarter won't buy you a cup of coffee. it is what you have actually done with it adn can prove it that counts. Most people that get a doctorate in their core field and teach are doing it for the money. Just look at what a teacher with tenure can make. Thanks the University of Phoenix for making it so easy to do.

WrongO 1 year ago

Teachers in Newton do not get tenure nor do they get merit pay. They get paid very modest amounts and considering how much money comes out of their pockets for their classrooms and health insurance it is just pitiful that people who do not work in the field can criticize. They do not earn higher degrees for the pay increase as the amount of the tuition is more than they would ever recover from the pay raise. Most teachers would agree that they now bring home less money with higher degrees than they did with a bachelor degree. Don't believe me? Do the research yourself.

John 1 year ago

@WrongO, 1. The word tenure has more than one meaning - look it up in a Webster's or Google or whatever. The one you might be referring to is a legal based definition. The meaning I used is "the period one holds a position" and from what I understand a year is a period of time. Seems you were 1/2 correct. 2. Please go the following link to see what I am making refernce to. This is public knowledge on teh NCSS web site and is much more definitive than the word "modest" - doesn't look too bad from her especially when it is based on 184 day school year. By the way the left hand vertical column is the tenure I speak of and the "pedigrees" i na teachers "core" is across the top. Pretty easy matrix to interpret. Portals/0/NewtonCounty/Main/Documents/Salary_Info/Certified_Salary_Scale.pdf. So it seems to me the sooner one earns their advanced degrees the longer period of time can they earan a higher pay - looks to me taht "Git er Dun" in the first 3 years and your ROI will pay back very nicely

1. I paid for heatth insurance my entire working care - I have had a salary cut (10%) and was laid off( aka fired) after 14 years at the same company right - the economic recession of 1981/1982 - 10.5% national unemployment. All my increaes in salay were merit based. When I receivedmy MBA - I did get an "Atta Boy" but I could do my job better & that was my motivator.
  2. From teacher friends I know & have known they all informed me that, teachers in order to keep their certification to keep their certifcation they must complete x # of hours of towards their Masters within a given time period & with a bit of extra effort a full Masters "sheep skin" can be earned. Oh, I did substitue teach after retiring in the NCSS and I ran in to more teachers holding a doctorate than I did in 4.5 years at a university were I earned a B.S. (engrg w/bus ad minor) and a MBA at night school. I was curious what the motivation was & I asked and got answers to my inquiry - $$$ based answers. My comments are not unfounded - I don't shoot from the hip and have done my research.

WrongO 1 year ago

John, I will give you a touche' on the definition of tenure. I was simply stating that teachers no longer have the guarantee of a contract from year to year. However, after deductions, a teacher's pay is very modest and most teachers I know personally cannot make their monthly bills and in many cases their children are on Peachcare due to furlough days and other cuts. Combine that with having to pay out of pocket for classroom needs and the fact that many more than eight hours are worked during those 184 days may help you understand what I am talking about. I know teachers who pay in excess of $800 per month for student loan payments. I was not being judgemental, merely honest.

TheUpside 1 year ago

I am a former teacher and it is true. Most teachers who find they cannot handle teaching - which is a hard job and not for the faint of heart - they work as hard as they can to get "out of the classroom." They tell me to my face "I had to get out of the classroom." They sit in their offices and work on doctorates online - any wonder why adminstrators end up with more advanced degrees? They leave the building early and come in as they like - some not all to be fair - and they are able to get to classes or meetings or to online cohort group events to get their degrees. This is not to help kids be more successful this is to pad their retirement and stay out of the classroom and hopefully end up even further away from kids at the central office or the bus barn just as long as they don't have to teach. So they sit around and earn degrees and some throw away discipline referrals and make the lives of teachers hard.

John 1 year ago

When one spends at least 4 years in college pursueing a degree in any field onw woudl trust the yhave doen some research before they purse that career - life is a matter of choices. i would assume teachers woudl have done some research in advance and got a littel hands o nexperience through student teaching assignments. But if I in time that chocie doesn't work out one can make another choice that is more suitable to their liking. As an example, I pursued a degree in enginering (4.5 years) and never designed one thing for a company- spent the next 41 years in sales & marketing (technically oriented products) all within the same industry. Oh, engineers were getting a lot more money right out of college than I did - like 25% to 40% more per month in salary and they got paid over time. I worked lots of overtime with no extra pay but I enjoyed what I was doing. In time things worked out well for me and my family. Had a boss in my early years and he said to me, "if you ever find that you are dissatisfied with your job that are just three things you can do - One, accept it for what it is, two, work contructively to change it and three just leave and try soemthing different but option two is the most rewarding."

huckfinsbuddy 1 year ago

as an engineer did you learn how to use spell check

John 1 year ago

@huckster 1. In my day we all learned to cut & paste the old fashion way with scissors & glue. Spell checking was done by flipping pages of a Webster’s. 2. Actually, I am a very good speller but admitedly a terrible typist (had to have my girls friends type all my college paers). At this point in time, I am not seeking to earn a grade on a typing exercise or receive high marks on a performance review. This is kinda' like that attitude Rhett Butler expressed to Scarlett O'Hara in Rhett’s in his famous last words to her. 3. However, I was taught along the way a sentence always start with a capital letter and a sentence that asks a question ends with a question mark and I believe that a comma needs to appear after the word in your sentence. Otherwise, it ain't no good English!! Touche!! 4 There is a saying I can't totally recall but it has something to do with throwing stones & glass houses.

huckfinsbuddy 1 year ago

We all have our excuses John. I am well aware of you being a sentence struture policeman. Possibly you could recruite a couple of those old girl friends to type your posts. Take care John you are always intertaining..

John 1 year ago

I make no excuses just state facts but glad to help you out - it is entertaining not intertaining (sic) - see that thing about throwing stones & glass houses has arisen a second time.

huckfinsbuddy 1 year ago

You also missed recruite so you got half my drift about intertaining so was this bad spelling or bad typing?? I'm gone on this subject now John , must go teach my English glass . Good day.

John 1 year ago

Oh I thought you might go "white wash a fence" or two in the rain today.