Douglas ends congressional bid

COVINGTON - County Commissioner John Douglas is ending his bid for Congress, he announced Monday.

Douglas announced in February that he was running for the District 10 seat currently held by Rep. Paul Broun of Athens. Broun is running for Saxby Chambliss' Senate seat.

Douglas said the decision to end his campaign comes after careful consideration and discussions with his wife, family and supporters.

"We had the beginnings of a great grass roots effort and had already generated support and commitments from most of the larger counties in the district," he said in a press release issued Monday afternoon. "We were beginning to bring things together and make a strong initial start many months ahead of the primary and runoff."

Douglas said being a county commissioner "has consumed far more time than I suspected it would require. I cannot carry out my responsibilities as Commissioner in a professional manner and mount a Congressional campaign at the same time. It's time to 'clear the decks' and give the county commission 100 percent of my time. This 'part time job' has proven to be anything but part time. I will remain a commissioner through these four years and decide at the appropriate time on a possible reelection campaign."

Douglas would have been required to resign his position as county commissioner upon qualifying to run for Congress in April 2014.

"When I ran for the Newton County Commission, I committed to serving the 1st Commission District for four years. In all the elected positions I have held, I have never left an office early to run for another office. In my mind, the prospect of bringing a congressional seat to Newton County was something that would have been a very great benefit to our county and an early start was required to get the campaign organized."

Shortly after being elected to county commission in November, Douglas announced he has Stage 1 prostate cancer. Douglas said he completed the last of his treatments on Monday and "I still have the risk of unexpected news as I work to become a legitimate cancer survivor over the next few years. The radiation treatments have gone well but there have been inevitable changes in my body that I have to accommodate.

"Thank you to my supporters and friends. I hope that my service as a county commissioner will make you proud you supported me," he concluded.

Douglas has previously served in the Georgia Senate and House of Representatives and the Newton County Board of Education.

Comments

Del 1 year, 3 months ago

Best news i've heard all day long.............Let's hope it's not an April Fools JOKE

Taftconservative 1 year, 3 months ago

Surely this is an April Fools joke. He just announced less than a month ago. Nobody in their right mind would announce he was running for Congress and then drop out in less than a month. Good April Fools joke, John

dawgs14 1 year, 3 months ago

Paul Broun will withdraw from his senate bid and stay our 10th Congressional District Representative. There is nothing for Mr. Douglas to run for.

Frustrated 1 year, 3 months ago

If you read through all the BS it says he didnt think he could win the race. If you didnt have any idea how much time being a County Commissioner would take up then you shouldnt have run to start with.

SandraC 1 year, 3 months ago

I truly hope and pray this has nothing to do with bad news regarding his health and it doesn't sound like that is the reason for his withdrawal. Sen. Douglas seems to change his mind and flip flop a lot so I'm glad he made this decision a month into his launching his campaign as opposed to fundraising for the position and withdrawing at the last minute. I hope he will focus on the position he was elected for and it sounds like that is what his plans are. I have to wonder if he's been getting negative feedback for launching a campaign a month into getting elected, just because he withdrew today before tomorrows meeting with the public on the gun ordinance?

Newtownqq 1 year, 3 months ago

I kinda saw this comming from the start. After all he announced his run in the wrong District so I knew it was not gonna happen, He also said that being a BOC member we lot more work than he thought so why even run? He just seems to insight trouble and seems his political lobby buddies got him by the neck over this gun thing.

Billy 1 year, 3 months ago

When JD was a state rep, he helped me and helped my mother with many problems in state gov't. His replacement has not answered my e-mail request, and the State Senator, (Jeffares), never has answered any e-mails that I've sent him. Again, JD has helped me, which is what he's there for, as well as passing legislation that helps more than hurts. People just like to complain and bellyache, yet they don't vote in primaries, sometimes not in the genral election itself, and wonder why they hate the results. Better yet, run yourself; if you want it done right, do it yourself. I'm a political science major, and my advice is this: stop murmuring, start participating. Anything good takes hard work and extreme patience; politics takes even more...

SandraC 1 year, 3 months ago

Just for the record, I have voted for JD in all of his elections and have not said that he has done a bad job. I think it's great that he's responsive to his constiuents. There was some legislation that I disagreed with his votes on when he was Senator, but I don't think it's necessary to agree with someone 100% of the time. My issue was running for congress a month into a commission term.

LE4LIFE 1 year, 3 months ago

It's time to 'clear the decks' and give the county commission 100 percent of my time. WHAT!! So your intention was not to give 100%? What is this guy really up to?

dustinketchem 1 year, 3 months ago

John Douglas is a trouble maker. He is trying to turn the County Commission into his own little political sideshow. Him and J.C. Henderson both deserve the axe. Too bad we have to wait until 2016 to get rid of Douglas.

Frustrated 1 year, 3 months ago

he took Ewing's seat so why shouldnt he continue the legacy ole Mort started? Douglas, Henderson and Maddox are the voting block now that will do what they need to get their way.

mansfield 1 year, 3 months ago

Dustin, how's that commuter rail line coming you want to put in from Newborn to Oxford? Talk about political sideshows!

Bemused 1 year, 3 months ago

What his statement really means is that internal polling is showing that he can't win and he's not raising any money so he's jumping ship now.

Taftconservative 1 year, 3 months ago

Why didn't John ever post that he was a Newton County Commissioner on his Douglas for Congress Facebook page? He mentioned he was a former Marine and former State Senator bit never a Newton County Commissioner. Is he ashamed of Newton County?

SandraC 1 year, 3 months ago

I remember he was originally for Romney, then for Santorum, then for Newt. Then I watched a segment on Newt and everyone was asking who that man was behind Newt at the news conference, with the huge smile on his face who almost pushed aside the child that was up there, to get on camera. It was JD and he was so proud he actually posted the pic from the news everywhere. Whatever you think about his voting record, you have to admit that it seems like attention is his currency.

dennistay53 1 year, 3 months ago

I had prostate cancer in 2006. You have to had been their to know what John Douglas is going through with these treatment. It makes you see life and family in a different perspective. I commend John Douglas for this decision now. I hope he and his family best of luck now and in the future.I have become a fan of his only lately after seeing how he sticks up for the conservatives in his districts who voted him into office. Praying for your complete helth recovery Mr Douglas. My wife and myself have been through what you are going through- cancer treatments and recovery. I'm glad to see you putting you health, family and county commmision position first.

dawgs14 1 year, 3 months ago

Paul Broun has not been able to raise money for his senate bid so he will remain in his US Rep. seat. There will be no congressional seat open. Wake up folks.