Newton football loses all three on the road

COVINGTON -- It was a bad Friday for Newton County football as all three teams failed to get a win.

Newton lost to Valdosta 31-7, Class AAAAAA Alcovy dropped a 13-10 decision to Class AAA Jackson 13-10 and Eastside lost in double overtime in its Region 8-AAAA season opener to Chestatee 57-56.

The Newton Rams (0-4) tied the score at 7-7 on an 82-yard run by James Hardeman. However, the Valdosta (3-1) offense was too much for Newton, as it ran for 212 yards, with the Wildcats' Malcolm Joseph dominating the running game with 136 yards on 24 carries and three touchdowns. The Wildcats also threw for another 82 yards.

The Rams had a hard time moving the ball as they finished with 73 yards of total offense.

Alcovy (1-3) seemed to have the ball game well in hand, taking a 10-0 lead at the end of the first half, scoring on an interception return by Curtiss Benton and a 22-yard Rysen Richardson field goal. But the Red Devils (3-1) were able to take advantage of a couple of Tigers miscues to kick a game-winning 47-yard field goal for the 13-10 lead midway through the fourth period.

"We helped them out with two penalties of 15 yards," Alcovy head coach Kirk Hoffman said. "We make a bad mistake and let people back in the ball game."

The Tigers had a chance to win the game, driving the ball from their 20-yard line to the Jackson 22. Unfortunately, a pass was tipped at the line of scrimmage, allowing the Red Devils to intercept the ball with 50 seconds left to end the drive.

"Those are turnovers but it's not from not taking care of the ball as much as not getting the ball to bounce our way. What happened to us is what's happened to us all year -- the ball just doesn't bounce our way," Hoffman said. "I thought defensively we played outstanding. Offensively, we have to find a way to move the ball consistently. There are times we move the ball then there are times we don't."

Eastside (2-2, 0-1) fell early against Chestatee (2-1, 1-0) but wasn't down for long. After falling 7-0, the Eagles answered with a 70-yard kickoff return by Jamal Hardge. Eastside finished the first quarter with a 21-21 tie with the help of a William Gann interception return.

After falling 35-21 to end the first half, the Eagles came back to tie the game at 42 on a 1-yard run by Alex Smith with 3:22 left in the game.

The Eagles matched the War Eagles in the first overtime, tying the game at 50-50 after both teams scored and made 2-point conversions. Even though Eastside scored a touchdown in the second overtime period, it failed to convert on the 2-point try, allowing Chestatee to win the game on the extra point.