Letter: Hall's request to columnist was foolish

When I read your headline "Chamber head asks columnist to stop writing," initially, I thought that it was an early April Fool's issue. When I was growing up, my hometown newspaper would write an untrue funny story about our City Council on April Fool's Day. It was always a story that initially the reader thought may be true. For example, one year they reported that the City Council meetings would be held at midnight and public comments could be made at 1 a.m. Some folks thought the story was true and flooded the City Council with calls demanding that they keep the meeting at 7 p.m. When I read your article it truly reminded me of the April Fool's issues from my hometown newspaper.

First, I have the utmost respect for Mr. Meadors. I read all of his columns. Thanks to his recommendations and guidance, when my daughter graduated high school, she had already completed two years of college under the Dual Enrollment Program. My respect for Mr. Meadors was validated when my daughter was accepted to the University of Georgia and they accepted all of the college classes she completed at Georgia Perimeter College. In my contact with Mr. Meadors, I've realized that he truly cares about the students and the Newton County School System. I admire his devotion and dedication to the students and the Newton County School System.

To ask Mr. Meadors to stop writing about factual information about our students and school system is foolish. We can ignore our problems and become another Clayton County School System or we can allow Mr. Meadors to use the Citizen to address the problems facing our educational system and work to correct them.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -- Aldous Huxley

P.S. I cannot believe that one of the board members actually thought the comment to Mr. Meadors to stop reporting factual information about our school system to the public was a "home run." We, the voters of Newton County, need to make sure he is not in the game next election cycle. It is time to pull this board member out of the game!

-- Randy Upton

Oxford

Comments

amp72 1 year, 7 months ago

Good for you Mr. Upton! These BOE members who applaud and say it was a "home run" seem to be thrilled not with the speech but with how it called out Mr. Meadors. Unfortunately for them, it backfired and made them look bad. These BOE members demonstrate their true intentions, which is to protect images and jobs and not serve the taxpayers and students of Newton County. It was a sad display and they and Mr. Hall owe everyone an apology. It is time to restore some sanity to the leadership in this county.

Crazyhooker99 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you to this gentleman for supporting truth and dignity.  Hall should be asking why no one has removed the conflict of interest in our schools that the supt has basically admitted is taking place.  I can tell you one thing for sure there is A LOT to come out that will end up at the PSC and the further the frivolous and malicious stuff goes the more dirt and real people come forward against guess who yes you are right Laquanda Carpenter.  Alcovy High school should be a gem and it is now a cesspool.

suerprincipal 1 year, 7 months ago

Eddie Johnson MUST GO on November 6th.  Please remove this guy from the BOE it is shameful when he runs meetings.  If we get our heads in gear we can make NCSS a great system but the corrupt cronies of Dennis Carpenter need to be sent packing he has been in charge of hiring too darn long and say what you want about Dr. Clamp but he would have given him walking papers long ago.

Grandcanyon 1 year, 7 months ago

Part of the problem at Alcovy High is the hiring someone has let her hire wildly.  There is one white AP out of all administrators.  There is nothing but  black counselors and grad coach.  How is this balanced?

MamaTurd 1 year, 7 months ago

I also want to see Mrs. Black and Mr. Dockery sue the Newton BOE and Dockery should sue Kent Campbell as well as Mrs. Black the other medai who smeared her.

Romulus 1 year, 7 months ago

Students bringing guns to the theme school...a teacher being assaulted..an administrator being beaten bloody...drug-laced brownies. All of this in just one week. And the BOE has the gall to come out against their only real competition, Charter schools while applauding a verbal assault on the only BOE member who seems to be even willing to acknowledge that the Newton school system has problems. This system is becoming more obscene by the day. Vote 'yes' on the charter school amendment so that our children have a real hope of getting a quality public education.

WayBack 1 year, 6 months ago

What? A teacher was assaulted? An administrator was beaten up? Someone had a gun at school??? How has this stuff not made the news?

Romulus 1 year, 7 months ago

I also want to congratulate Mr. Upton on his clarity and courage. It is truly sickening when our community seems to favor and fight for convenient lies over the hard truth.

Chambermaid 1 year, 7 months ago

Dear Romulus, Mr. Meadors did not agree with them on the charter opposition at least he voted no when they voted yes so he cannot be blamed with the other four for opposing charters