Alcovy High student charged in marijuana-laced brownie incident

COVINGTON -- Two Alcovy High School students decided to try a little something different for breakfast Monday morning.

"One child had baked brownies and put marijuana in them, wrapped them up and took them to the bus stop where she gave some to the other child who ate them," said Newton County Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Keith Crum.

Both students were 16-year-old females and the incident occurred sometime between 7:25 and 9:30 a.m.

Once the students arrived at school, the girl who ate the brownies began to feel sick and complained of stomach pains, dizziness and feeling tired, Crum said.

"She went to the nurse and told her she had eaten brownies laced with marijuana and the principal was notified and the resource officer was notified," Crum said. "They were able to identify the student who brought the brownies and discovered more brownies in her possession."

Crum said the student was suspended from school pending a hearing and her parents were notified. She was charged with possession of marijuana less than an ounce and turned over to Juvenile Court. The brownies have been sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for testing.

According to Sherri Davis-Viniard, director of public relations for the Newton County School System, the mother of the student who ate the brownies said she took her daughter to the doctor and she is fine and is not experiencing any medical complications.

Comments

Newtownqq 2 years ago

Why does this suprise me at all? Alcovy is full of drugs and thugs! Notified the Principal ! What did she do? Tell them to go see Lindsey to get them out of trouble? Get lost Carpenter and your husband too!! We don't need drugs in our schools. Do we know if these students were suspended? This is where our tax dollars are being wasted! I hope they are tired as adults!

OnToday 2 years ago

I hear that place is infested with drugs. And they bring them because there is little chance of being caught and punished. The only reason these two were caught is becauuse one got sick. Sad

Newtownqq 2 years ago

I live just past Alcovy and I can see all sorts of things happening once school lets out!! I hear of gangs stealing from the gas station down the road!! I have seen what appears to be drug deals made in parking lot!! I feel that we should hold our school leaders accountable and end this drug mess.

Covingtonian 2 years ago

How about holding the parents accountable?

Hotmess 2 years ago

That place is a drugs dealers heaven and your right they bring it knowing they won't be caught. It is very sad that this is going on. Wow it's just getting so bad their what's going ?

Covingtonian 2 years ago

I have to ask, how do you know this? Hear say? or you supplying the drugs? have there been arrest at other schools in the county for drug possession? Inquiring minds want to know?

Tairuna 2 years ago

I think the question should be

would you like some pot with your brownie?

Calisweetheart 2 years ago

I bet I know why they were getting high before school cause of the lovely discipline rules they have which is NONE. Let's face it had the girl not got sick they would har gotten away with it and the master plan would have gone beautifully.

What a shame this is and what a shame that all of this is a reflection on well we won't say or we may get sued.

mgh1966 2 years ago

.ok fun time is over. Yes we have a drug problem in the county yes drugs are in all 3 high schools. It is time we stop lawsuits blogs and grandstanding politics and work together to solve the problem. Has one Blog Post changed anything for the better for education in Newton County No. Has the lawsuit help education in Newton County NO. While all sides are pointing fingers at each other another 1/3 rd of our seniors will not graduate. So lets all stop. And let’s help our children .

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

About time somebody has mentioned all three highschools ... and not just 1 of 3 or 2 of 3 . But kids getting in trouble because of drugs and ect isnt and wont help them Graduate now will it ?

will 2 years ago

AHSClassof2012, What is ect?

Frustrated 2 years ago

give AHS a break will afterall he/she went to Alcovy

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

Your funny but then again the last 3.5 years I've been here I found everybody who's from newton county to be very FUNNY ahaha .

Covingtonian 2 years ago

Well said, but it ain't gonna happen. Some people thrive on conflict, that's why you see this mess continuing. Excuse my grammar but I was educated in the Newton County school system too.

will 2 years ago

This school is out of control. Why is the BOE scared to make a change at this cess pool. If my child had to go to this school I would not be able to sleep. Look at Eastside they are doing something right and it starts with the administration and goes down through the staff. This school needs a change or it will become a danger to the whole county. BOE stand up and take your school back.

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

LOL Eastside has seems to always be doing write ahaha but ive heard of people or i mean kids bringing drugs there to just not getting caught .... and that just sounds down right crazy that alcovy could danger a county now really think about it !

will 2 years ago

AHSClassof2012, I agree LOL look at your comment-"Eastside has seems to always be doing write ahaha but ive heard of people or i mean kids bringing drugs there to just not getting caught... I hope you learn grammar and correct word usage before you get out because you sound very uneducated. I guess you really go to AHS.

Clem 2 years ago

Will, Hate to tell you, but based on the handle, AHSClassof2012 already graduated, probably in the top of his class. I'm sorry, "prolly" in the top of his class.

will 2 years ago

Clem, I stand corrected he/she prolly be doin his/her thang ya know what I be sayin.

deathtotaxes 2 years ago

The problem is the BOE, change must start at the top! Sadly it looks like nothing is being done to correct any of the problems. All these problems are a refelction of the BOE leadership (none), how proud they must be of themselves!

Frustrated 2 years ago

The BOE will never change anything as long as the Chamber of Commerce keeps putting pressure on them. The more business that comes in the more money the BOE will have to play with. I hate to know they are satisfied with the way things are going at ALcovy.

Crazyhooker99 2 years ago

i'm sure a lot of things happen everywhere but this is one more indication that the leadership at this school is not working - the counseling is not working - the teachers ARE working - the principal is not qualified based on past experience to lead a school with these challenges and the scores show it and the conflict of interests between the husband overseeing her budget and employees is wrong wrong wrong

BrentLuNae 2 years ago

Why don't yall take all this mess to the Board. Be at every meeting and don't let it die down. Hound them with this. Ask them what are they doing about it? What are the plans to clean up this mess? Call the police every time you see ANYTHING going on. You can't just let this go. Hound the BOE, hound the police, sheriff, hound the State!!! Do not let this go! Make sure you put everything in writing. This has got to stop!!

Tatersalad 2 years ago

because no one will go. This is a place to vent I guess.

Covingtonian 2 years ago

with a name like "hooker" apparently someone other than the teachers are working.

momofone 2 years ago

SO, what are we as a community going to do about this? Quit complaining, get off your butts and volunteer.

LOVINGLIFE 2 years ago

How often does the county utilize their drug dogs at the school , or have they ever ?? It should be done 3 times a week !! The thing is drugs , are heavily present at all three High Schools and Middle Schools in this County and every other in this country . Why are you people acting as AHS is the only place that the problem exists. I went to NCHS over 20 years ago , and there was just as much of it going on then as now. Morons !!!

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

( THANK YOU ) for say this cause it just crazy that 1 school could be pointed out on such things as crime like it just a warzone at the school which its not and probably wont ever be and before i got rezoned to Alcovy in my junior year i was at newton which was just about the same as Alcovy if not worse but i never heard or saw anything on them on this site hmmm i wonder why . And Eastside has it problems also like every other school in america . Yall are acting like newton county schools are just suppose to be PERFECT !!! #GetReal

will 2 years ago

AHSClassof2012, Stop commenting you sound more uneducated everytime you comment.

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion Sir , But i wont !

Frustrated 2 years ago

aw will, he/she is only what 18 or 19? how much about the real world do they really know and understand anyway?

will 2 years ago

Frustrated Man he/she be knowin everythang she be needen to know bout life.

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

Its seems like you dont have one yourself since you have enough time judge someone you don't know . And your most likely grown right thats a bit childish if you look at .

will 2 years ago

AHSClassof2012, I am grown, right. You are still using poor grammar, I think you left a word out. Keep up the good work. I hope I never grow up by the way.

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

I know enough just know that .

will 2 years ago

AHSClass 0f 2012, you dont know jack about the real world.

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

My senior year last year they did it a few times during the 2nd semster at alcovy .

Covingtonian 2 years ago

Thank you Jesus, the TRUTH finally is told

Del 2 years ago

It's a Shame that Dr. Clamp is not here...............He would have nipped all this mess in the bud long before it ever started.....

CadyJackson 2 years ago

Sorry, Del. Sticking your head in the sand is what Dr. Clamp did best. He was just marking time until he finally could retire with full benefits. Whatley only followed his lead, because he, too, was close to retirement.

LOVINGLIFE 2 years ago

Dr. Clamp didnt nip anything in the "bud" (no pun intended) , because it was smoked from one end of NCHS to the other in the 80's. Sorry Del

jwm1955 2 years ago

I am a grauate of the 70's from Newton County High school, Parents need to be more responsible of their children, The schools need to be more strict, The B O E needs to do thier job instead of being a butch of non caring dummies , do away with the political correct. When I was going to school if you got in trouble at school you would get a whipping from the teacher, principal, then when you got home the parents would be ready to take you to the wood shed. So everybody stop blaming and do each other job the way it should be done.

Satan69 2 years ago

Hey covingtonian how about holding everyone responsible parents, and school because it isn't all fault of just one. What's sad is you want to attack everyone and when something is said you don't like you jump to the offensive.

I agree parents should be held accountable as well as the school if they have knowledge of any drugs present it is their job to take the necessary mearustes is it not? So you can't always blame the parents.

I also agree with newtonqq because The carpenters and Lindsey need to vanish tey are the biggest pains I have ever seen. Every breath someone takes they want to depose someone or get information. Nothing has been done to those people accept the truth followed by opinion. Some can't stand to see themselves negatively.

Covingtonian 2 years ago

And who does like seeing themselves in a negative light? "Measures" you mean? Did you mean they? I just highlighted these to see how you take being critiqued, a form of criticism or a way to see yourself "negatively" as you put it. Is that "offensive" enough for you? That's a rhetorical question by the way.

sunshine 2 years ago

this cracks me up! I have a way to settle it all rezone The Silos of Ellington to all 3 schools and you will see where majority of the problems are coming from! I went to school in Dekalb and we had lock downs and drug sniffing dogs come thru and guess what if you had drugs on you then you were busted and kicked out of our school! Once again thats why i am paying for private school!

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

There is definitely 5 parts to the Ellingtons the silos just being one ... i'm just saying .

mgh1966 2 years ago

move the silos to newton. They are closer to them anyway that will save fuel in buses DUh.

add more east newton to alcovy. and take more of newtons and move it to east side.

Oh by the way the silos is closer to Newton high at 5 miles the next closes is east side at 10 mile Alcovy 15 miles. donot take my word map quest direction.

AHSClassof2012 2 years ago

Thats where everybody in the ellingtons was before untill somebody decided it would be smart to take a neighborhood 15miles down the road just to go to school .

will 2 years ago

AHSClassof2012, you need to be usin dat spell check, right. Its great to be livin off dat obama money so I dont have to have no job.

John 2 years ago

Guess what we have here is a prime example what it doesn't take to graduate from high school in 2012. That is, one does not need to know how to spell (even with the help of spell check), structure a simple and complete sentence, use proper punctuation, proper capitalization, etc. I realize times have changed but the fact is we still need to be able to communicate clearly to succeed in this (and even yesterdays) world. We learn these basic communications skills by paying attention while we are in a classroom rather than practicing our verbal "social communications" skills.

Romulus 2 years ago

Odd there hasn't been a story about the gun found in the theme school a week ago.

The simple fact is, is that parents with any means or responsibility whatsoever are going to: a. Homeschool b. Charter school c. private school d. Move

That's what parents in Clayton and Dekalb did. Unfortunately, when they moved here, they brought their little problems with them. But at least the parents TRIED to enable something better for their children. In 10 years, it will be Morgan county that inherits this mess from those choosing d above. The point is, is do not settle for the status quo. Vote 'Yes' to the amendment on the ballot in November and vote in Mr. Corkery to the school board. Our children and their parents desperately need options.

1_player 2 years ago

Could someone please explain how the principal and her attorney are responsible for something that this girl did at home. The brownies that made the other girl sick were consumed before she got to school, according to this story.

Newtownqq 2 years ago

Santan69 Thanks for your support!! Seems the Carpenter's got another person as a new ally Mr. Hall. He said Medors should stop writting his weekly articles because it does not show a good Newton school system. Can I ask that the Carpenter's stop suing people for free speech? Their conduct has not made one improvement to our schools!

Satan69 2 years ago

No problem at all Newtonqq I happen to be a strong supporter in the freedom of speech. It burns me up that these creeps think they can just talk and do as they please. I can't believe the gall of Hunter Hall really asking the vice chair to stop writing his columns that is just in poor taste. It doesnt show a good NCSS because there isn't one and that's why he wants it hid to make newton county look flawless well sorry buddy not happening. There is no such thing as perfect every school system has flaws maybe not as big as this but who knows? Mr Hall, Mr Mathews and Mr and Mrs Carpenter should just all go live in another part of the county and it can be called liars corner.

I mean these people can't and won't stand up for there own board members let alone care what the parents truly think.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 12 months ago

I think every school should have a substance abuse counselor on staff.

gsm7476 1 year, 12 months ago

Gary do you think we need a substance abuse counlelor in the schools? Please tells the bloggers you hate want to Know.

KBeet 1 year, 11 months ago

I would say yes, what about you gsm? I think we should have one at every school. Just opinion.

Watermelonlover 1 year, 11 months ago

We need NA, AA, and TA all the 12-step groups. goodness.

CBSfinder 1 year, 11 months ago

I think we also need PA principals annoymous. Seriously it is something to think about.