Late Eastside surge needed to overtake Jackson

COVINGTON -- Eastside's defense rose to the challenge of stopping Jackson until their offense got on track as the Eagles came back from behind scoring 13 points in the fourth quarter for the 23-14 win on Friday.

Training 14-3, Eastside's Cameron Boyd caught a 45-yard pass from Damario Terrell with 9:55 left in the game to close the gap.

"We got a good play out of Cameron and it was a great throw out of Damario. He put it on the money. He probably shouldn't have thrown it, but he had enough arm to get it past them," Eastside head coach Rick Hurst said. "He had dropped a couple on the sidelines and the fumble but he came right back."

The Eagles (2-0) took the lead with 5:51 remaining in the contest when Chase Chancey caught a pass from Terrell and made a move on the defender giving him room to ramble the into the end zone for a 36-yard play to make it 16-14.

"Two years in a row he dropped passes against Newton. He could have hung his head but I told him this week he was going to catch a touchdown. What a great catch then he made a move. He's a great athlete, he just has to believe in himself," Hurst said of Chancey. "I've told him all along he could be one of the best players we have if just believes it mentally, because he is."

Terrell threw for 139 yards going 11-for-29 with Chancey and Boyd being the recipients of most of the passes. Chancey had 60 yards on three catches while Boyd had 49 yards on two receptions.

Eastside's reception percentage should have been higher if not for several catchable passes which were dropped including a fourth-and-goal pass late in the second period.

"We have to fix it. We had a couple of catches late but it has to be consistent, it can't be up and down throughout the game," Hurst said. "Damario had some good open windows and made some good throws. Our protection was pretty good for the most part we just have to do a better job of catching the football."

Jackson started the game moving the ball well until Eastside's defense caused the Red Devils quarterback Will Lane to put the ball on the ground.

But the Red Devils (1-1) were able to march the ball down the field in their next possession, with the help of an Eastside penalty on a fourth-and-two, to take a 7-0 lead on a 35-yard pass from Lane to Michael Finocchiaro.

The Eagles had a chance to get on the scoreboard early in the second frame but a blocked field goal kept Eastside down by seven points. The Eagles took advantage of a Lane interception by Tre Cooper giving Colton Smith the chance to make a 45-yard field goal with 6:40 left in the first half.

Eastside had the chance to take the lead before the half after recovering a fumble on the Jackson 45-yard line. However, after marching the ball inside the Red Devils 10-yard line, a dropped pass ended the threat.

Eastside's defense again helped the Red Devils offense with two consecutive 15-yard penalties. But in the end when it counted they were able to stop Jackson forcing them to punt with the ball sitting inside the Eagles 40.

In the fourth quarter after Eastside took the lead, the Eagles took the ball inside Jackson's 10-yard line following a Marcus Griffieth fumble recovery.

But Eastside's offense lost yardage forcing them to punt the ball. That was when Chancey again rose to the occasion keeping the ball out the end zone as the Eagles downed the ball on the 6-yard line.

The Eagles deflated any hopes of winning when Boyd ran back an interception 26 yards to make it 23-14 rather than needing only a field goal to win with 2:21 left.

"He makes another play for a defensive touchdown, that's two weeks in a row, Hurst said. "It's such as huge lift for us. It prepares them for situation like this later on when we're down and if you don't quit. They will be in this situation again and now we understand that we can come back in the fourth quarter."