Newton Citizen Poll for Sept. 9, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"Residents on our street have done everything that was asked of us to get speed bumps installed to help slow down speeding cars before some child or animal gets killed. We've gone back and forth several times to Kathy Morgan's office and was told everything had been approved and they were waiting on orders for an installation date. They even sent men out to spray paint squiggly marks and numbers on the street where the speed bumps and/or warning signs were to be installed. Still getting the run around. Last phone call to county commissioners office indicated now they must wait for the entire Board of Commissioners' approval before action can be taken. I guess it would be even more useless to request much needed 25 mph speed limit signs on Bryant Road where speeders come off Georgia 81 at 55 mph and don't bother to slow down. They are waiting for a fatality to occur before taking any kind of action. Mercy! Our future is in deep trouble!"

"The Old Man has some deep concerns. Now you are probably thinking that the Old Man is a curmudgeon but I really am not. I have been in the Navy, I have taught school and I have been a city councilman. I have seen and done a lot of things in my life that gives me a different perspective on life. My concerns are, why do they cut money for the police department when crime is on the rise and why are they cutting money for the schools when our education seems to be falling apart and why are they cutting money to the CDC when the case of West Nile Virus is on the rise? Is it because the government has squandered our money over the years and now we have to pay for it or am I reading the news and watching it on TV and the competition between the networks has become so intense that they will report anything whether they know the facts or not? Now my wife says probably no one really cares what I write, but I get it off my chest so if you really don't like it just don't read it."

"'Let each citizen remember at the moment he is offering his vote that he is not making a present or a compliment to please an individual -- or at least that he ought not so to do; but that he is executing one of the most solemn trusts in human society for which he is accountable to God and his country.~ Samuel Adams' I borrowed this from another publication and thought about the local races going on. Also written in this publication and in a candidate's flyer was a comment about 'minority of a minority.' This type of speech can and has led to people assuming that race has a bearing in an election. People, race should have no place in an election; however, it is and does happen. Remember on the local side of things, a person's race should not come into play just that person's track record and ability to represent fairly and evenly across the board. Whatever race you align with your vote is important, so please go vote. The ballot cannot see."

"I would like to know who at the Board of Education made the intelligent decision to print full color, glossy paper handouts for all students of Newton County schools. This handout was to promote the new website, Twitter account and Facebook account. FYI, the parents that are going to use these sites for their information already know they exist, all they have to do is a search or follow the link from their child's home school. I would like to request that my child be sent home only black and white copies on regular copy paper to save on the printing fees. I wonder what could have been purchased for a classroom with these funds? Twenty-thousand students x .50 per copy = $10,000.00 or 20,000 students x .02 per copy = $400.00 let's do the math ... a savings of $9,600! That's what a parapro makes in a school year, that would buy three active boards for schools that do not have them in every classroom, that would buy 16 IPads (my child's school currently has two), that would almost pay for all of the math CCGPS needs at a local elementary school. I want to stand up for the students of Newton County and say that I am sick of the waste! I am sick of teachers having to spend out-of-pocket money to educate our children because the school system spends our tax dollars frivolously! We do not need a career academy or a parent involvement theme school until the basic educational needs of all students can be met across the entire county! Something is wrong with the system when the two highest performing elementary schools in the county do not have the basic technology or textbooks that the lowest performing schools have. At what point do we quit rewarding poorly scoring schools? Why do we have a public school that children have to apply to gain entry? Why can't my child that is a special education student have the right to attend this school? The federal government states that he is entitled to a free and appropriate education, why can he not attend this parent involvement school if I am an extremely involved parent and he is a very well-behaved child? If you are a parent with a child in Newton County, you have the responsibility to start asking questions. Find out what happens in our schools ... I could go on and on."

"I was calling about Saturday football games. I've been watching football a long time and I've never seen as many big teams picking on little teams. Georgia is guilty of it, too. And by the way, I wish Georgia would come up with another saying. 'How 'bout them Dogs?' went out 10 years ago."

"I'd like to send out a big thank you to the men who stopped on Henderson Mill Road on Sept. 4 about 5:15 in Newton County to clear off the tree that was across the road. A gentleman in a blue pickup truck, a gentleman in a red pickup truck, a fellow on a motorcycle and then a city of Covington truck also joined in to help. I just really appreciate it because I couldn't have moved that tree by myself. I just wanted to send out a thanks, but I don't know their names."

Comments

Hotmess 2 years ago

This is for "This old man"  I LOVE what you write all the time but you know LaQuanda Carpenter may toss you in to a lawsuit if you say something her husband don' tlike he TROLLS the citizen blog paper all the livelong day.

Satan69 2 years ago

To the parent mad at the BOE and NCSS good for you.  Now go to the 9/11/2012 BOE meeting and let them have it.  You have the right to be heard.  If you knew the damage done to NCSS by two people - one married couple - you would be outraged beyond belief!

Satan69 2 years ago

i must agree with the complaints against the BOE do you know that the LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School has severely impacted school operations just ask any boe member or do an open records request of Gary Matthews emails for the months of June and July.  You will be shocked how much this personal crap has costed us taxpayers.

Hotmess 2 years ago

hey peeps this is a copy and  paste for bovines - And finally, fifth, people of Newton County, see this lawsuit for what it is- a waste of our money, time, and resources; a pathetic attempt to deflect blame instead of doing one's job; and a last ditch effort to get Stephanie Lindsey elected and the Carpenters a job in Mississippi. We deserve high performing schools. Dr. Carpenter is failing us in her capacity as a principal at AHS. Despite the repercussions that will engulf my family once my identity is revealed, I'll make these statements again with my name in print for all to read. Why? Because this is the truth and we all know it.

Watermelonlover 2 years ago

Hey Baxter International here is what you have too look forward to at Alcovy High School where LaQuanda Brown Carpenter is the "leader."   http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pbugFI-BSQI

MissLoy 2 years ago

At this point folks this is really up tot he Newton Citizen. They can wait until the judge determines the value of this. Then they can go one by one and offer any ID that has a basis for harm or malice. I don't see it. The paper already has a built in way for complaints to " suggest removal". Like having a landing page this protects complaintant and if she did not use this option then she must not have cared. Sounds to me like someone had a breakdown on the week before JPS was coming to town.

If an ID is given it means nothing. Please use ISP's from all over, work, libaries, handsets, Ipads they don't own, and the list goes on.

This will bog courts and bog courts and bog courts when we have murders, thefts, vandalism (check out the Alcovy high bathrooms) and real crimes.

I have been talked about in the paper before and the first thing I say is "How can I do better?" I don't sue the very people who pay my income

Iknowddatsright 2 years ago

Can both local papers contact teachers who complain that discipline referrals DISAPPEAR at this school and are handled differently based on who the student is or what they look like????

56vick 2 years ago

I sure wish these hate Alcovy people would get a life ! It must be pretty sad that the only thing they have to live for is wallowing in their misery and blaming it on the school system . If anyone knows these hate mongers please do them a favor and get them the help they need . Alcovy like all schools has good and bad points ,but there are a lot of hard working people and students there that don't need these immature comments .. I am that sorry you are filled with such hate.

Tatersalad 2 years ago

Read it and weep LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School in Newton County: http://snunes.blogspot.com/2012/05/thin-skinned-principal.html

suerprincipal 2 years ago

When asked if she was concerned about being accepted in the school and community, Brown said that one of her strong suits was building relationships with people and that she was not concerned at all.

Personalsavior 2 years ago

She has so far been ineffective and really bothers the students when she continues to use improper grammar. Especially since she insists on making the morning and afternoon announcements

Tairuna 2 years ago

What do these counties have in common? Peach, Butts, Jackson Public MS, Duval Co, FL, Naples, FL, the one in So. Carolina, Lee all have in common. They don't hire suer people.

Tairuna 2 years ago

Hey Poll Peeps this is something you must read and it relates to the LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School and Dennis L. Carpenter of Newton County School System lawsuit crap:   Read what Dr. John Trotter says they are so Clayton County huh?  http://georgiateachersspeakout.com/2012/06/18/dr-john-trotter-of-mace-blasts-superintendent-edmond-heatley-for-employing-all-of-his-family-members-in-the-clayton-county-public-schools/#comment-5791

Satan69 2 years ago

@56vick some of these people have reason I'm sure lots of people don't know everything that have happened. However judging people and pretty much calling them out saying they need help is inappropriate and not only that if you don't like it don't read it. That is just them expressing what they feel just like you did. These people are tired of going through this mess and your tired of hearing it . Deal with it.