Newton Citizen Poll for Oct. 28, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"My child came home from Alcovy High School today very upset and her teacher said a race war almost broke out during a dance routine by the Tiger dance team that was sexually wrong for a public school. Has this school gone completely to the pigs? It is time to wipe out the top down and take back our school."

"So Walmart told everyone at their last rezoning hearing they would not allow any overnight truck parking in their lots. Well ... I was by the new Walmart Sunday 10/21 and there were two trucks in the parking lot. And no they were not making deliveries. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the truckers ... Makes me wonder how many other things will happen. Is there a county ordinance about this? If not why not make one?"

"Breast feeding in public -- This isn't very smart. Look on the Internet about people with fetishes when it comes to lactating and a lot of other crazy weird things. I don't really mind it myself but your safety is in question. Sickos are not afraid to watch your house and find a good time to come in to visit you. You should be a little more cautious about having your goods hanging out for the public eye or even associate yourself while in public. Never know who's watching you."

"Ok people. If there's a issue that bothers you, but doesn't affect you personally, leave it alone! God don't ask for you to go around judging other people no matter what they do. What other people choose to do is between them and the man upstairs. They will pay for their sins the same as we will. So for you casting judgement and spreading negative/hateful feelings towards other God's children is hurting you and planting that seed of hate in your heart. Practice loving each other as Jesus told us to do. Open your eyes and just because you read it in the Bible doesn't mean the devil showed you how to interpret the words to coincide with what you been taught. You learn hate and prejudice so when you read the word, read it as Jesus would and cast your personal preferences aside."

"The Old Man has been watching what has been going on in this year's run for the White House. So far I haven't seen too many times anyone is talking about the majority of the people. I always thought that that should be their main concern, but I guess I've been wrong. I was a city councilman for several years and that was my main concern. Of course the politicians sure worked hard to keep me quiet. Right now the polls are showing that somebody is ahead. I have now seen four different polls and all of them seem to be in dispute. I am also amazed at the number of experts that get on TV. I suppose they were always around but before they had to jump in a car or on the back of a horse, or maybe the back of a caboose. Now they can't do that because there are no more cabooses, so they just jump on the TV and tell us how smart they are. And now to the people who think the purveyors of half trues, lies and biased thinking of these so-called newscasters go to the polls to vote based on what these people say are not getting the facts. Don't be a person who believes the tabloids. Aliens have not come down and impregnated a woman nor does Elvis still live. I guess I have touched a nerve on someone. I am not exactly sure what he said but whatever it is he is allowed by the Constitution to express it, and so am I as long as it is not derogatory or defaming."

"After reading Darrell Huckaby's column in the Newton Citizen on Wednesday, I gave a lot of time thinking about what he said. It was a mouthful, but as a history teacher and a writer of a column in the Newton Citizen, in other countries I have been in he could have been shot for bad-mouthing our president. ... "

"I'm calling about the article that Darrell Huckaby wrote in the Wednesday Newton Citizen about President Obama. I am surprised that an educator, teacher and church man would have such ugly things to say about our president. Whether he likes Obama or not, he should have kept that to himself. That is degrading himself and low-rating the highest man of the nation, our president, and the Bible says to respect the government. Darrell Huckaby, you should ask forgiveness for all the criticizing you did of our president."

Comments

alexander 1 year, 11 months ago

Remember Huckaby was born in Porterdale, an under achiever in sports, a Coach Bradley wannabee, a fake Lewis Grizzard, but do too certain issues the local rags let him getaway with writing what he want. But they will edit out any negative comments about him. You can't change a mill town Lint head tunnel visions.

Personalsavior 1 year, 11 months ago

To the writer regarding Alcovy high school. The school has gone to the pigs, your child had. A right to be upset my niece attends their and she said that it was like a strip tease and that she couldn't understand Why they were dancing like that?

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm a little confused Why just because people don't. Approved of a strip tease dance r pi time do others have to holler race. Let me tell something it doesn't matter what what color you are trashy is trashy case closed.

I get so tired of hearing race especially when it is affiliated with Ahs.

Duster 1 year, 11 months ago

I cannot find this in my King James Bible "respect the government". Can you give the Chap and verse it is in? I know In Isaiah it talks about the Government of God. But it has to do with Jesus. If the left likes the way News papers (in general) and TV reporters support one party or the other, Then you should have no objections to a person who puts his opinion in the paper. Ever since obama got into the white house, he has been treated like he is some sort of god. He is just a man, like all of the presidents before him. I do not think he is a citizen of this great country, and I think he is a liar and hates America. And I believe he is anti Christ and anti Israel. His actions and inactions show this. The first lady shows distain for this country. We all saw what she said to the president on the anniversary of 9/11 last year. The Government You talk about is the God fearing People. Not a man at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Oh yeah. This is my opinion. You’ve got your own.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

Try Romans 13;1 You have some serious issues, that's my opinion

Duster 1 year, 10 months ago

Thank you for that lesson about the Bible. But that is about the power of Gob being absolute. Not about a presidency or any other gov. I am glad you think I have issues. Which I do. But loving God is not one of them.

John 1 year, 11 months ago

The person that holds the highest office in the United States should NOT use profanity
(B.....Sers) when talking about his competition in a very recent public campaign speech. His Chicago back alley street talk style should have been left in the alley once he took his oath of office. Respect is never given, it is 100% earned, even by your opponents.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

With society as a whole going down the sewer morally there is a lot of things that people are doing that I feel they/we shouldn't do. To nit pick everything the President is doing shows a lot of short sightedness. Bill Clinton, John Kennedy held the same high office and I suppose their conduct was pristine? The pedephiole priest in the Catholic church comes to mind and the Pope who holds a high office isn't nit picked to the same degree and to bring it closer to home, we had a Governor (Maddox) a backward riding cyclist and racist that called an entire race of U.S. citizens derogatory names and he was alright with the people too. You amuse me.

KimberlyD 1 year, 10 months ago

Also the pope put the Nazi leader of Croatia on a "platform" for his works. Catholicism IMO is the most corrupt form of Christianity there is EVER.

John 1 year, 10 months ago

covingtonian, My view point is that the person that holds the highest office in the United States needs to held & project higher standards and serve as a role model to our country & the world. Heck, when professional athletics do not do not live up to a "role model" standards they are fined.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

I should have mentioned good old Richard M. Nixon, Never told a lie he couldn't live with.

John 1 year, 10 months ago

Can't say I respected Tricky Dick but I will give him credit for ending our involvement in the Vietnam "Conflict" in 1973 after JFK got us involved in 1959 and LBJ & his buddy Westmoreland repeatedly told the people of the US that we were winning this "Conflict".

gsm7476 1 year, 10 months ago

Do not forget the Ncss BOE. Oh that hit too close to home

alexander 1 year, 11 months ago

John, disagrees with sweaters but love 47 percenters.

John 1 year, 10 months ago

I worked over 41 years, paid for 4 years of college by working 67 hrs per week, was taught the value of saving for the future, did not spend money to impress "faux" friend, got a government job right after college, that didn't pay much but they gave me a paid vacation to an exotic far away place, clothing & the promise of 3 hots & a cot & learned how to spelled Hanoi & yes, I am retired but I do care about the future of this country and the opportunities that will not be afforded to my children & grand children unless we control "insane" spending that government love to do but really aren't accountable for other than at election time..

dennistay53 1 year, 11 months ago

You mean Elvis is really dead and there aren't any aliens. I do believe Florida will decide the election again. Do they still have hanging chads?

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

I have attended a few local high school games here in the past and have seen comments in this paper about the "provocative" movements of some of the dance teams. Alcovy isn't the only local school that has had this problem highlighted, Newton has as well. I always with a view to honesty have to admit that some of the movements are not lady like and are better suited for a stripper audition. I wouldn't want my daughter moving in such a way.Right or wrong I think it is more of a cultural thing and another sign of where society has gone.

sweetpotato 1 year, 10 months ago

@covingtonian you are right sir...........we let stuff like that go on and then later parents are shocked that lil Suzy comes home with a baby in her belly. There is a culture among us that will be our demise if we dont make some changes.

will 1 year, 10 months ago

sweetpotato, your right this culture is going to destroy America. Its a culture of entitlement, laziness, and violence. If we let this culture keep going we will die as a country. What ever happened to working hard to EARN an honest living?

dennistay53 1 year, 10 months ago

You have a president in office for almost 4 years who takes no responsibility and still blames President Bush for everything that is wrong in the country. A president that had a minister who makes the statement - it's not god bless America, it's GD America, A president who congressional leaders, Reid and dear Nancy P called Bush everything bad you can think of. A president who sues the state of Arizona for trying to protect it,s borders and has a attorney general who leads a gun sale mission with guns ending up in the hands of mexican cartels which results in Americans being killed as the end result. Yet you say citizens and voters should say nothing bad about him? To voice your opinion is the American way and always has been and hopefully will always be the case.

Frustrated 1 year, 10 months ago

If we were in another country someone mught be put in prison or put to death for talking bad about the president but were arent there. We are in America where there is free speech and eveyone has a right to their opinion. If you dont like what Mr. Huckaby has to say about the president then dont read his column, but dont by any means say he should apologize for speaking his opinion.

dennistay53 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes- Nixon lied but so did Clinton, so did Bush, so has Obama. Why- because the citizens and voters allow it. It get's them elected or keeps them in office. It's both parties. As a national republican Romney was my last choice of the ones running because of what his money people did to his competitors during the last two campaigns, notely Huckaby in 2008 and Newt this time. But the people gave him the nomination. As long as voters keep voting for candidates who run negative campaigns full of lies this trend will continue.As for nitpicking people who run or hold office- they know and expect this when they run for office. The same can be said about high public figures such as school administrators. I was a mgr in a private company= i expected it. If you don't won't this criticism you have a choice. Don't run or don't take the position. You have no room to complain when it happens because you made the choice. Jimmy Carter was probably the most honest person to ever run for office yet he had to take the criticism. We are living in America and that IS the culture and will be until the VOTERS demand and make the change.

sweetpotato 1 year, 10 months ago

The new real bright white lights on the Square hurt my eyes !! They are too bright !