Pedestrian killed on Ga. Highway 81 identified as Lynneah Browning of Covington

COVINGTON — The victim who was walking along Ga. Highway 81 near Oak Hill Road around 7 a.m. Wednesday and struck and killed has been identified as Lynneah Browning, 12, of a Willow Shoals Drive address, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

Browning was positively identified late Wednesday, apparently from dental records.

GSP spokesman Gordy Wright said the young girl attended Hampton Middle School in Henry County. A family member works for the school system, he said.

She was home from school Wednesday due to a doctor’s appointment scheduled for 11:30 a.m., and when her father returned home from work to take her to the doctor, he found her missing.

“He called Newton 911 to report her missing,” Wright said.

The family home is approximately 2.5 miles from the site where she was struck by a 2005 Toyota Camry as she walked along Ga. Highway 81.

The GSP Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team was on scene shortly after the accident and charges against the driver, a 35-year-old Stockbridge woman, are pending the outcome of the SCRT investigation.

Wright said at the time of the crash, the driver stopped a short distance from the scene and called Newton County 911.

Comments

Browneyedgirl 1 year, 6 months ago

I just have a couple of question. If this does turn out to be a 12 year old girl and she wasn't waiting for the bus, just where was she going on that busy road so early in the morning or where was she coming from? And, just where are the parents of this girl?

FishyFishy 1 year, 6 months ago

This is horribly tragic. My heart goes out to this girl and her parents and family.

Browneyed-for all we know she was sleepwalking. Of course there are questions, no doubt.

dennistay53 1 year, 5 months ago

This is so very sad. My heart goes out to this family.

alexander 1 year, 5 months ago

Browneyedgirl is a blonde.....enough said..

Browneyedgirl 1 year, 5 months ago

Nope I am not blonde!!! My comment was made before they updated the story and said it was definitely said it was a 12 year old child and where her father was! As a matter of fact if you would have read the story on the day it happend the headline said somthing like pedestrain that was first thought to be a woman, may be a 12 year old child. So like I said before when I made my comment the story had not been updated! I feel very sorry for this family and their loss! I have a 12 year old myself and would not know what to do if I ever lost them! So before you accuse somebody of being something or doing somethig make sure you have all your fact right!!

deathtotaxes 1 year, 5 months ago

Browneyedgirl...maybe you should have waited longer before commnenting.

John 1 year, 5 months ago

@deathtotaxes, Maybe you should have read & UNDERSTOOD what Browneyegirl original comments were & they are (the key word is in all caps): " IF this does turn out to be a 12 year old girl and she wasn't waiting for the bus, just where was she going on that busy road so early in the morning or where was she coming from?" Personally these are valid questions one would have, as I did & certainly others did, but at the same time I have compassion (as Browneyegirl later stated) for those that grieve for the loss of this life, especially for one that is just starting to bloom.

Chris 1 year, 5 months ago

This area has a lot of pedestrian and bicycle traffic. The roads are narrow, there are no shoulders, there is little lighting and traffic is at highway speeds. There are no sidewalks. Pedestrians often wear dark clothing at night and are very difficult to see, especially for drivers facing oncoming headlights. As the area has transitioned from low density agricultural to residential the risk of this type of event has increased. It is amazing it doesn't happen more often.

Frustrated 1 year, 5 months ago

uh Chris, maybe you should look at the photo again. This is a STATE hwy not a county road.

John 1 year, 5 months ago

Frustrated, does it really matter how a road is classified federal, state, county or city - road classification is basically identifies how a road or highway was initially funded & how has responsibility of up keep and responsibility can be transferred for one level to the next (e.g. GA 36 as it goes thru Covington city limits). I realize it all goes much deeper than this but who really cares if it is a State hwy or a county road - if lighting or fencing or, or or is needed someone needs to step up to the bar & git'er dun.

Kornbred 1 year, 5 months ago

It only matters if you're anal, and "frustrated".

deercrazy16 1 year, 5 months ago

Chris is right! I live only a mile from where this happened and I see idiots walking/riding bikes all the time during the day and at night. County road or an old back road, people fly down this road. At night, like Chris said there isn't any light anywhere. AND at 6:59am that day, it is/was still pitch black out side. Just because the picture shows sunlight doesn't mean anything. Frustrated, did you want them to take a picture of the scene BEFORE the incident happened? Idiot!

Frustrated 1 year, 5 months ago

my point was that Chris said the road was narrow and had no shoulders. I live in the area too and agree with you about the speeding and the lighting. So if there is an idiot it might just be you!

Covingtonian 1 year, 5 months ago

No Frustrated it's definitely you

dennistay53 1 year, 5 months ago

There you go again Covingtonian, being rude and calling people names that may not agree with you. You must have a very poor life

Frustrated 1 year, 5 months ago

Covingtonian when you say something I just consider the source and pay it no attention.

Satan69 1 year, 5 months ago

Alexander that was uncalled for. Why would u say that. ?

KimberlyD 1 year, 5 months ago

Why is everyone arguing over the where abouts of the father? Do you really think the parents need to see this. She was 12, not 2. It's no one but the families and the authorities business as to what she was doing out... I am praying for the family and their loss; and for the driver of the car.

gsm7476 1 year, 5 months ago

People, a little Girl has die. Let’s show the family a little respect.

Billy 1 year, 5 months ago

There's no substitute for common sense. Don't bet your life on the expected perfect behavior of others. If you do, you'll end up like this unfortunate girl. Don't walk at night. If you have to, wear light clothing. I'd say carry a flashlight, but no one heeds that advice. A lot of drivers are DUI or on drugs; factor this into your plan as well...