Newton Citizen Poll for Oct. 21, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"To the city of Covington resident that wrote a letter to the city manager against 'Vampire Diaries' production ... Just because you don't get a piece of the pie, really! People like you hold us back. Since 'Vampire Diaries' started filming here, they have brought in over $25 million to the local economy (including much-needed jobs). Why should they pay you if they are not using your property? I wouldn't be surprised if they move production to another city pretty soon because of people like you ... You're holding us back!"

"Newton County BOC, you need to get your stuff together! You are losing some of the best people you have now! You have to do something to retain your employees. Guys are leaving to go to other departments to make $5-10,000 more a year and you sit back and say 'Well, they better be glad they have a job.' Well, guess what? We can get jobs elsewhere. We don't have to work here, but we do because we care about the community. But obviously you don't care about us. We can't even hardly take a day off work because there isn't enough people to be there if we are not. There has been many times where we have been told we can't have a day 'cause there's not enough people to work. I really hope somebody takes a real hard look at what is going on. Also, look at the department heads -- there may be reasons there, too, on why people are leaving. We want to love our jobs again!"

"The homeless shelter on Turner Lake Circle has been a leech on our community long enough. Has everyone forgotten that they were given a $1 million grant for start up. Plus, in order to stay at the shelter over a few days one must pay a daily fee or sign over their government or retirement checks. If they can't or don't pay, they're out. And as far as the management at the shelter, you try not paying your bills and the Sheriff's Department will be putting you on the street. This place is and has always been a scam on the citizens of Covington. Most of the people who stay there have never even been to Covington until some other community or parole board sent them there. Many of the residents of the shelter can be found hanging out up and down Washington Street all hours. Many stay around the stores at Washington and Flat Shoals begging. This is why last week the City Council had to address the issue of people begging and now the mayor wants people to give to support this place. I just don't understand why we need to try so hard to keep this place in our community."

"Jeff Meadors is a favorite school board member of many of us who work at Alcovy High. Our principal will not apologize so let us do it for her. Mr. Meadors gave a civic engagement $500 scholarship last year. He came to Title I meetings and helped in classrooms. We never see him now. He was at ballgames. I hope he sues LaQuanda Carpenter for the damage done to all. It has become a horrible place to work since Dave Easterday and now our board never come here. Take a look at our administrative team and demand Gary Mathews make changes before he leaves."

"There used to be some guy published every week named Pork Chop, maybe somebody called Possum and now there's one who calls himself the Old Man. Well, they've got as much in common as anybody I've ever seen. There's so much empty space between their ears, probably as much empty space as there is in outer space."

"I was the caller calling about the school bus driver dropping his son off more than a mile from his house. I am a very angry parent and, yes, I feel like they put my child at risk by doing so. I thought our Sheriff's Department motto was 'To protect and to serve,' but it seems like they're here to serve the movie industry not to protect our citizens, especially our children. I wonder what would have happened if something or another had happened to my son. My law firm would have had a field day with this county and Baxter locating here would have just been a dream because they sho' wouldn't have come after what would have happened here. I hope y'all will print this. I hope y'all put it in the paper because it is not over yet. I've been talking to the news teams in Atlanta and they are doing an investigation on this also."

"Last Thursday on Oct. 11 I went to the football game between the Walton school and the Eastside Eagles. I have a grandson on the Eagles team, but I couldn't see much of the game due to the fact that some inconsiderate men had to stand at the fence and block everyone else's view so they could be the only ones to see the game. I hope this is a one-time incident. The Eagles were 35 and Walton was 8. I wish I could have seen more of the game. I am sorry this incident happened, but I think public ought to realize that people in the grandstands ought to see what's going on, but can't due to the fact that some inconsiderate yahoos have to stand at the fence and block everybody else's view."

"I was calling about government assistance in paying rent or house payments or buying groceries. I think there ought to be a price limit put on how much the government will pay in rent or pay on houses or buying groceries. I don't think the government should be responsible for supporting deadbeats. I think there should be stricter rules for applications for government assistance. I know I see people in grocery stores who are big and looking like they are healthy as a mule and paying for their groceries with food stamps. And the same is true with the housing projects. I think they should be stricter with rules implemented and the whole nine yards."

Comments

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

@ The caller about his child being dropped off a mile away from his home. You left a lot of useful information out of your complaint, one being why you are blaming the sheriff department for what the bus driver did or do you feel that the driver should have been charged? Did this happen in a city or in the county?and the age of your child? If this is a junior or senior in high school I can't sympathize although I wouldn't have liked it if it was my child either. Do you live in a crime ridden area? Finally, the Sheriff employees are not the only public service employees working with or for the movie industry. Some clarification please.

John 1 year, 6 months ago

From what I have observed on many occasions the City of Covington Police Department does help the movie companies during there filming in an around The Square. Can't say I've ever seen a NCSO deputy helping but I don't sit or stand watch this event just get caught up in the traffic at times. When I went to high school I used to walk a mile & 1/2 to school & had to cross a four lane highway that carried twice the traffic volume of 278 during lunch time, the good side of that was I only had to do that for 4 years and never had a weight issue.

Frustrated 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree with you on this one. There needs to more VERIFIABLE facts told. Was it really more than a mile? How old was the child? What neighborhood was this? Tell all the facts if you are going to tell anything.

dennistay53 1 year, 6 months ago

No school bus should drop NO child off a mile from their home. This parent has a right to be upset. The policy use to be a half a mile and that is really to far. I wonder how covingtonian would feel if he paid a taxi to carry him 5 miles and they dropped him off at 4 miles and he had to walk the last mile? I'm sure these parents pay property tax to support the school system. They have the right to be upset and concerned for the safety of their child, even more so with the high crime rate in Newton County. Sometimes you just do not need to comment on something you know nothing about.

dennistay53 1 year, 6 months ago

Many citizens have got to quit making excuses for mistakes and short comings of this school system. They have to be held responsible. It will never get better if they are not held accountable and accept constructive criticism from the citizens who are paying the bills. To say that the fights and drug problems and low test scores in Newton County schools should not be compared with other schools that are smaller or have a different mix of students is totally unexceptable. For the school board to knowingly break election laws by taking sides and campaigning against the charter school amendment kinda shows their character.

John 1 year, 6 months ago

Suggestion for the person that couldn't see a football game, simply move a few more rows higher up. You'll get a better view of the entire field and also not have your view blocked by the players & coaching staff that are strung out along the sideline and folks that are always walking back & forth on the walkway between the fence & bleachers to & from the concession stands or rest rooms or just visiting. Life is really simple if you will let it be.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Good suggestion if this "grandparent" is able to move a few rows up into the bleachers. There could be a number of reasons why said individual cannot go high enough in the bleachers to get a better view. Nothing beats being considerate of others which is lacking in todays society. Why have bleachers if able bodied people are going to be allowed to stand in front of them?

John 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe those able bodied people have hemroids or a boil on their butt & have to stand - lol. Even if they were not standing like I stated before people will be constantly walking on the path between the bleachers & fence and blocking the view during the whole game. Covingtonian at any football game the worst viewing seats are always near field level and between the 40 yard lines - the football players (all standing) are spread out between those lines. I have been a grandparent for over 24 years and have gone to many games to see my son, grandson & daughter play football, basketball and wrestle. To get a good view sit up a few rows higher and if you need a back rest go all the way to the top.

I agree consideration and respect are becoming lost traits in today's society - parents can change that & maybe taking "Emily Post" lessons on etiquette out of the schools didn't help.

OnToday 1 year, 6 months ago

Do not doubt what the person from Alcovy says about Jeff Meadors. He is incredibly popular there because of the positive things he is trying to do for the school. Unfortunately the Carpenters and their friends on the BOE are doing all they can to prevent it. It is a shame and Dr. Mathews is negligent in allowing it to happen. He is not at the school anymore because of the negative environment fostered by the principal, her husband, and their attorney. It is sad and pathetic and even more pathetic that our weak superintendent is allowing it to happen. Teachers at AHS are sick and tired of the mess that has been created. It could be a great school but weak leadership is not allowing that to happen.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh Shannon , you've stopped taking your meds again.

OnToday 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh Dennis Carpenter, you have no idea who I am. If anyone needs meds it is you. Or was Dr. Mathews' Talking Points memo about your behavior and temper enough to calm you down. I doubt it.

TheUpside 1 year, 6 months ago

Can the paper ask about the apparent stripper performance that took place at the Alcovy High pep assembly last Thursday? I literally took my class and left. LaQuanda Carpenter will you please explain why dance teamgirls had on mens short underwear on schoold grounds and simulated sexual poses while boys threw money at them as Usher filth played. I do not know how we will get through this year it is so bad. My students were horrified open records the emails as many of us wrote Carpenter in protest Thursday October18 and 19. Were laws broken?

sweetpotato 1 year, 6 months ago

Just to clarify (because I looked into this) The City of Covington Police Officers you see working for Vampire Diaries are off duty and are being paid by Vampire Diaries. Vampire Diaries is doing just like other production companies and events that come in they hire off duty officers to stay there with them. I am getting tired of people complaining about people filming around here, sure its an occasional pain in the rear but its better than the alternative: a sad dried up downtown where nobody goes or wants to go, a town that nobody gets off the interstate to spend money in. REMINDER: people from other places that spend money here pay sales tax here, they leave the tax they paid stays and that helps you and I / The End

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

@ dennistay53 I walked a mile to school,crossed over hwy 278 and also an active train track more days than I care to remember when bus #38 (Lasellers) was to full for me to get on. This was in the late sixties and yes My parents paid taxes then as well. I can only hope that this gives me permission in your eyes to post on this subject. I wasn't aware that you was the moderator for this board. I can recall something you posted toward one of my comments that appeared in the August 19 poll about a city of Covington officer sleeping while parked in his patrol car when you had this to say "Sometimes i fall asleep without trying to. I guess it's better to pull over than to have a wreck. At least they save us gas money. I had to post something on this covingtonian poll." The operative words being " I had to post something ". I like you too.

dennistay53 1 year, 6 months ago

I walked to school for over a mile in the 60's as well, but this is not the 60's. 278 is not the same 278 as it was in the 60's. The schools have much better taxpayer support than they did then. The school has scheduled stops that they are supposed to make. The child should be carried back to where they were picked up in the morning. That is where the parent is expected to have their child get off the bus. The school is responsible for the safety of the children from the time they get on the bus until they are dropped off at their normal stop. If they can't make that stop they should be kept on the bus until they can OR carried back to the school until their parents or guardians can be contacted and pick the child up. That is exactly what happened to my granddaughter when she missed getting off the bus at her stop and tried to get off a few stops later. They would not let her get off, the driver called the school, the school called us to let us know what was going on so we could pick her up when the bus got back to school. When a student is just dropped off somewhere instead of their stop i can understand the worry of those parents when the child doesn't get off the bus when or where they are supposed to. I can recall MANY, MANY negative comments you have made to posters - Example above- Oh Shannon ,you've stopped taking your meds again. You don't know if she takes meds or not and if she does you don't know if she has or not. Many millions of Americans take meds to live. You have made many,many personal attacks and accusations about Shannon. I don't know her but i can imagine how it makes her feel.

livingart 1 year, 6 months ago

$25 million - really - Have you rode down 278 lately, have you tried to buy a decent pair of pants or nice shirt, or have to tried to take your family to fun activities or entertainment on a regular basis....Maybe you and I have different wants and needs.....just saying..

Tairuna 1 year, 6 months ago

@covingtonian who are you talking to? Where is Shannon. On the poll. I don't see any commenters named Shannon on here have you stopped taking your ur meds Why would u make accusations like that?

Satan69 1 year, 6 months ago

Covingtonian aka Dennis Carpenter kisses to you. You know we go way back. I"ll take the update on the deposition of LaQuanda Carpenter for 500 Alex!

Satan69 1 year, 6 months ago

I am trying to put this time line together on today. I worked on it on yesterday. Now look peeps. The paper here comes out with a request by Mr. Foster wanting records on investigation into alcohol and mismanagement of money and he specifically talks about Alcovy High School and he asks for stuff on the principal there. Then the next article is she dismissed the case. I think this woman had no case. I think her husband was mad. He was mad about some drama and used her to file suit against all these anon people and the others. I think they had no idea what to do and they found a bottom feeder to represent them who thought hey this is great I am running against Judge Ott this will make me so popular. So the husband did not want his name out there for the millions of jobs he didn't get well you ain't gettin jobs when you can't remember 500K in stadium lights and you screw up the WSA mess and you use your honey to sue teachers and other people now that is just messed up. Then the Foster guy asks for all the records and POOF it is dismissed. This smells to high heaven so in the end it looks like LaQuanda Carpenter and Dennis Carpenter and Stephanie Lindsey got they names out all over the paper thinking this will look good but they all look kinda messed up. I cant wait to see what is next I would not let her get away with this mess if I was those teachers get Dan Digby in Conyers to sue her he is the best

tomgahunter 1 year, 6 months ago

The real question is where is all the "PROOF" that the COVINGTON NEWS had when they call for Meadows to resign. When Will Jeff get a front page apology from THE COVINGTON NEWS???????????????

ThePublicGood 1 year, 6 months ago

I bet the covington news gets sued before it is over it has to be in the works.

sweetpotato 1 year, 6 months ago

I was listening to a local radio program this afternoon and heard a Democratic candidate for a county wide position here in Newton Co. speaking................seriously? Almost every sentence he used incorrect grammar or used an inappropriate word. Is there no standard anymore.........? The Democratic party would do themselves a big favor if they would send some of these people through english courses and improve their vocabulary and grammar its pitiful and embarrassing.

Lucy30016 1 year, 6 months ago

OnToday you must be on to something. So much about them has come out since LaQuanda Carpenter filed this nutty suit. Is there proof that tells us more? I cannot believe how bad tghe test and crime data are at Alcovy High since 2009.

Kornbred 1 year, 6 months ago

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear all of you people were 2nd graders?!

Ophelia 1 year, 6 months ago

Okay, first off the city manager shouldn't be sharing information that citizens privately sent to him or the city council. Secondly, the city council has received numerous complaints from several citizens, not just one person, but I can attest that at least one of those complaints did NOT request monetary compensation. You know, not everyone or everything is motivated by money. The city and the production company have violated several ordinances and laws on numerous occasions, and this is something that needs to be addressed. The production company has repeatedly been in violation of the Newton County Noise Ordinance and in violation of Federal laws by placing items in residential mailboxes without postage (hello, identity theft!). Of course, if you do NOT live in a residential area where they repeatedly film, you have no idea of the disturbances to residents' personal peace, safety, and security that the production causes. If you are so gung-ho for the Vampire Diaries to film in Covington, then by ALL means please invite them to film directly in front of your house. Oh, and by the way, the production company did offer $1000 to the residents who complained, and NOT everyone took them up on their offer. So no sweetie, not everyone wants a "piece of the pie." They just want to be left alone to live in peace in this nice, small, quiet, quaint town, and they want their city to put them, the residents, first. The Vampire Diaries may bring in revenue to the city (definitely not $25 million worth), but we are tax payers and we also fund this city and we should have a voice, too.

PaperChase 1 year, 6 months ago

@Tom the covington news (note the lower case) is a garbage rag no one pays much attention to them they have spent the last four changes in editors trying to remain relevant. I doubt anyone cares what they say they have major internal strife according to employees who work there.

Aurora 1 year, 6 months ago

If the police officers acting as private security for Vampire Diaries are off duty and are being paid by VD, then why are they wearing their police uniforms and using government equipment such as the segways, which I know for a fact were bought by the city, not by VD. Moreover, to the person who accused those who complain about VD of just wanting a piece of the pie, not all citizens complain because they want "a piece of the pie." How about letting VD come and set up right across from your house and keep you up all night when you have to commute an hour to work in the mornings? How would you like it if you or a family member needed emergency medical care and an ambulance could not even get down YOUR street because of all the VD trucks. How would you like to be stopped like some trespasser when trying to get to your OWN driveway? How would you like having a bunch of new foot traffic on your street as VD fans who obviously have no lives and nothing better to do than watch for a van of B-actors drive around? Also, you say our city has made $25 million from VD, so tell me who received that money and what the city has done to re-invest it in our city???? How is looking out for the residents of this city "holding us back?" I wish VD would go off the air so it would NEVER film in Covington again. I wish people like you would actually consider how filming would impact YOUR life if it was on YOUR street keeping YOU up all night.

livingart 1 year, 6 months ago

Well said - I do not live in the city, but I have tried to go through several times with the "filming traffic" I avoid when I can...I think the reasons for the filming here and in GA have something to do with lack of taxes and expenses that are not imposed on the companies coming to this area....

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Bradford and Brown candidates for sheriff of our county had a debate last Friday with Bradford making tenuous charges about training and funds and not one word in this so called paper but you can publish gossip about Alcovy and it's principal.

SC1925 1 year, 6 months ago

I missed their debate, I would love to know the charges and would more love to see them published as I have heard of many issues for years with no resolve.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

look online @ www.covnews.com for video of the debate and also there is a question and answer session with both candidates. You may also read about the debates in one of their older editions. I'll see if I can find a link.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Look under the heading "most popular" and Sheriffs debate gets heated at forum . Happy viewing

ThePublicGood 1 year, 6 months ago

What is Lead Learners LLC and what does it have to do with Dennis Carpenter?

Fetacheese 1 year, 6 months ago

COVINGTONIAN ur are a very unhappy person eat a pot Brownie and relax. However y pop u. Seem obsessed with that young lady who was Done so dirty. So bitter.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Sorry friend I "just say no to drugs"

ilivehere 1 year, 6 months ago

not it's principal, its principal.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Based on your correction I guess it's obvious anyone including you can make a mistake. If you're going to try and correct someone at least check your own comments.