Newton Citizen Poll for Oct. 7, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"Before you go to the polls on Nov. 6, be sure to look at the faces of your children, grandchildren, nieces, and nephews. Know that eventually they are going to grow old enough for your words and actions to become understood by them. If they end up having to work two, or perhaps three, jobs in order to pay for the debt that THIS generation has piled up, they are going to remember your words and actions. Are they going to remember you as someone that believed 'I'm going to make sure I get mine,' or, are they going to remember you as the person that decided to change the direction of all of this spending that is happening from the local level all the way to the national level? Will they think of you as someone that was concerned about their future, someone with the wisdom to vote for people with strong backgrounds in the areas of integrity and finance? Begin now looking into the background of every person on the ballot: there is a sample ballot available from both the Rockdale and Newton Board of Elections, all you need to do is call them. Eventually, all of our chickens will come home to roost, are you going to be able to look them in the eye when they do?"

"Thank God I have no children in NCSS. If I did I would have to find the money to move right now. All of the county officials, BOE members, and teachers posting here are proving they are hateful, backstabbing and semi-illiterate. The YouTube videos show that black students are allowed to rampage the schools daily. I would not let any child of mine go to NCSS even one day. It is obvious that the 'new' management order at Newton schools does not spend one minute caring about making kids into decent adults."

"I am thankful for Hercules Habitat. I enjoy seeing the deer grazing in the open space off Herring Street. I know a number of people who feel the same way about the Habitat area. As for Alcovy Road and the near misses maybe there should be a sign posted saying 'deer crossing' or "beware of deer crossings.' Possibly people when they see the 'deer crossing' signs would be aware of the deer in the area and slow down. I know for a fact that the speed limit is not enforced when I have been on Alcovy Road. So let's consider options for informing people that there are deer in the area. Contact people who could put up the 'deer crossing' or 'beware of deer crossings' in the area. To say that Hercules Habitat has seen its time is a definite, 'No way.'"

"Is there any information as to when the newly renamed Highway 36 section (formerly the Bypass) that comes off of Highway 142 will be expanded, continuing as a four-lane highway? The current design that requires drivers to start up after the red light, and merge together quickly is nuts. Traffic speeds up, right lane drivers cut off left lane drivers due to the limited space, (including 18-wheelers, such as the one that nearly drove into/over me when I was in the left lane today). Inevitably, someone at the front of the pack slows down (with or without a turn signal) and stops to make a left hand turn into the Ford dealership -- meaning that both lanes of traffic end up slamming their brakes to avoid a collision. The design is a complete nightmare. The sooner the lanes are extended down Highway 36, the better."

"Fellow Americans -- we must remember that while our nation was founded upon godly principles, we do not have a state religion. Rather, our Constitution provides for the freedom to worship without interference of government. Our forefathers shed their blood to win this right. We must be committed to electing a commander-in-chief who will protect this liberty and uphold the Constitution at all costs, as one nation under God, and who will ensure God's moral law will not be violated by changing the law of this land. ... God-fearing Americans have no desire to see America rebuilt -- but rather restored. To rebuild it would be to create a new nation without God or perhaps under many gods. This was never the intent of those who shed their blood for the freedom to worship as one nation under God. Let us pray that all Christians and God-fearing Americans will put aside labels and vote for principles -- God's principles -- that for many years have resulted in His blessing upon our nation. Nov. 6, 2012, is when our voices must be heard -- loud and clear. Please vote to make this a reality."

"Please Newton Citizen can you please investigate how many contracts that the Newton County commissioners have contracted out of county ... why is my tax money being spent for out-of-county services. Don't they have a bumper sticker that says, 'Shop in Newton County -- save taxes' or something like that?"

"Good news, good news. I just heard on the television Honey Boo Boo is coming back for a second season. I think she is all of that and a pack of crackers, too."

"About the Georgia Tech/Middle Tennessee game Saturday. Tech played the worst game I've seen anybody play all year. There should be repercussions starting with the quarterback. I don't know how long it's going to take or what he's got to do to prove to the coaching staff that he's not a winner. Face up to it."

" ... Ga. Tech's Coach Johnson said when he first came there he was going to make it a rivalry between Georgia and Georgia Tech, but he's only beaten Georgia once since he's been there and not won a bowl game since he's been there. We'd like to hold our heads up ... at least a bowl win or against Georgia. ... What happened to the quarterback that came from Monroe? He only lost two games in two years. Give him a shot. What do we have to lose? This season is gone anyhow. We've already had three losses. ... I've been a Tech fan since 1964 and I'm not changing now, but I'd sure like to be smiling wider."

Comments

Covingtonian 1 year, 11 months ago

I have nothing against nature per say but the area mentioned (Hercules Habitat, Alcovy Rd.) is urban and has a housing project to the East, industries to the North, a shopping plaza to the south and more homes to the west. if you need a deputy or fire assistance from just up the hill or the police and fire from the city A sign want help those emergency responders. Even at 35 mph a deer suddenly darting in front of you can do significant damage or cause a serious accident by someone swerving to avoid a collision with the animal. Remember there is a side walk in the area and many elderly and infirmed people live in that particular area. Think how many people are seriously injured or killed by just swerving not to hit a dog! I too think the habitat idea where it is located is outdated. How would you like to be riding a motorcycle and collide with a deer or a vehicle avoiding one? The area has become to populous. I hope you don't take this as an attack, its just my opinion.

John 1 year, 11 months ago

Well I live off of 278 close towards Hwy 11 and it is not uncommon to see deer cross the road especially in "rut" season. And yes several deer have end up in the drainage culverts every year. There are no deer crossings signs here either. Many drivers would not pay attention to the sign, like they think speed limit signs are mere suggestions. I lived near Houston, TX and a deer found it's way into downtown Houston and caused a lot of havoc - don't really think a sign or two or closing a habitat will solve your concerns. Deer in Georgia are like that song phrase in a Ray Stevens song --- "They are everywhere, they are everywhere."

Covingtonian 1 year, 11 months ago

Point taken John and I concur closing the Habitat isn't the answer, clearing it is.

John 1 year, 11 months ago

Now you will have all the "Save The Trees" folks on your case.

Chambermaid 1 year, 11 months ago

@ the commenter about the Boe and Newton County I completely 100% agree with you.

Tairuna 1 year, 11 months ago

Newton county will suffer until the boe or some members of it stop turning their heads and acting like they have blinders on. Some just let things slide by like the things that go on with certain people. Then you have a vice chair they jump his case every 5 min. Oh but that's ok. People who want to help and make change vs people that want a paycheck........

Satan69 1 year, 10 months ago

You have a very good point Tairuna. It is a matter of turning heads and letting things go absolutely. Paycheck vs change is an awesome way to put it actually. Another thing that is making just want to say a couple of things is what in the world is Lindsey trying to prove now why all of a sudden do we have an attack on The vice chair in the covington news and bring all this old stuff into play. One thing has nothing to do with the other. However, it guess when the heat shifts to the other people and they feel it the best thing to avoid all that is to shift gears, well it makes you look like you have something to hide. I will say this even if Lindsey and the Carpenters want him gone it takes a lot more then that and the people that know him would fight on that.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 10 months ago

We have a big problem right now with people worrying about who is doing what and why they are doing it. I find it kind of shady how the other paper is all of a sudden trying to throw people under the bus and not only that you know there is a better to solve this. Why don't you try going to the individual and talkiing the differences out and telling them hey I kind of feel this way, how can we work it out to benefit all of us?

I just find all of this sickening really lets keep everybody in the paper and upset them enough to make themselves look bad. Uh i don't think in this case it will work that way.

I have to agree with your statement about having something to hide cause thats exactly what is happening. It looks bad.

It makes the county look worse then already does from this silly Law suit. Grow up and be adult. Handle it like we should not like you want, it works out better that way.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

What's sickening is trying to figure out what you mean to say. Case in point: "I find it kind of shady how the other paper is all of a sudden trying to throw people under the bus and not only that you know there is a better to solve this." You may want to consider going to the library.

CBSfinder 1 year, 10 months ago

Why is stephanie lindsey trying a case in the media?

amp72 1 year, 10 months ago

Not that I want to give the "other publication" any more attention than it deserves but I would like to applaud the Newton Citizen for not only allowing the free exchange of ideas and opinions but for remaining objective throughout this BOE mess and doing their jobs as responsible journalists. I can't say that about the "other publication." To call for the recall of an elected BOE member based on speculation, allegations, and the accusations of an attorney who hasn't handled this case well from the beginning is not only irresponsible but is offensive. In their zeal to defame a BOE member, they neglect the fact that he was elected to clean up the schools and in case anyone hasn't been paying attention to the news there is PLENTY of cleaning up to do.

CadyJackson 1 year, 10 months ago

EXACTLY. The "other publication" gives the impression that the First Amendment is good only if you agree with them. It's just like the (IN)tolerant left.

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

It seems the Covington News will not allow people to comment on their one-sided stories from this weekend. I wonder why. Look at this little gem from Pat Cavanaugh- General Manager for the Covington News, in a column dated October 24, 2010. What happened that caused you to change your mind, Mr. Cavanaugh? You have allowed Stephanie Lindsey to express herself but you won't allow anyone else. Why not? Many of the citizens in this county know more about this situation than Lindsey but once again your mind is made up and your paper continues its one-sided crusade.

"We encourage the people who work at our paper to have and express their own opinions, as we encourage you. There are many times that the publisher and I don’t agree with those opinions, but it is their right and yours to have them, and we are proud that they and you have and express them. When you see an opinion on our opinion page, that is the policy of the paper and we will stand behind that opinion to the end.

As for the many calls we have received, we appreciate them, and we also appreciate the time spent on sending notes expressing your concerns, not only on this issue but any issue that appears in The Covington News We look at your thoughts, either ones we like, or we don’t like, as proof that the First Amendment, in spite of the attacks on its existence, is still alive and well and protecting all of us from tyranny. Keep those letters and calls coming."

Yeah, keep those letters and calls coming. We'll just ignore them.

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

On his Facebook page Sen. John Douglas is railing against The Covington News for their outrageous call to force a recall or resignation of Jeff Meadors. Good for you Sen. Douglas! It is past time to take back our schools and support those elected officials who seek to do the same. Favoritism, weakness, paranoia, bullying, and lack of leadership is destroying our school system and only when we stand up to it will it end. Shame on The Covington News for throwing their support behind a handful of people who seek to retain their jobs and paint a rosy picture of what is happening in NCSS instead of rolling up their sleeves and doing the hard work to make changes.

Calisweetheart 1 year, 10 months ago

Plain and simple Stephanie Lindsey needs to be investigated. I have to agree about Sen. John Douglas I did read that and congratulations to him for going after that someones needs to. The other publication needs to give it a rest they are crappy as is and they are making their image worse.

KBeet 1 year, 10 months ago

If anyone leaks it is Turner talking about WSA on the corner on the square that was legal stuff.

Watermelonlover 1 year, 10 months ago

You have a point Cali you really do because if you look at what is happening here for example whats happeneing right now? Lindsey is digging and digging to put Meadors against the wall. The question is why? There hasn't been anything said or done by him to point in his direction. Miss Lindsey needs to remember we all have a past does she want us to dig up her past which is completly irrelevant to this case? NO, I would think not. So we keep up all of the charades playing who is going to break first? Get over it peeps.

Investigate where you need to which maybe yourselves or someone you know like your clients.

MsLoy 1 year, 10 months ago

Cady you make a good point about the first Amendmant and the other publication, they don't approve of frees speech unless they are using it. That is Lindsey too and they both are hypocrites. That's why they get along so well.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

The Covington News article was real journalism. There was more information shared concerning the lawsuit participants than I have seen in the past. I didn't realize that Mr. Meadors was from the Gwinnette school system or that he seems to have had some history with getting along with past associates. Everyone was given an opportunity to comment. The citizen has published much about the Carpenters past and any attempts that Mr. Carpenter has made to get employed any place else. Still the same hand full of posters each week, nothing new with the exception of the info about the Senators facebook page. If I remember correctly he has had issues himself, maybe he should try cleaning his own house before attempting to gain favor by taking sides. You repeat bloggers about the Carpenters and Alcovy probably hadn't noticed but people have pretty much stopped responding to you. I broke my own rule and read a few of your repeat complaints, same ole song, different refrain. By the way the Covington News also showed that not all articles have to have a comment section, something this paper should consider using on some of their articles.

amp72 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, real journalism.... You mean the part where the other BOE members said it was not a BOE case and they won't comment and then they proceed to comment saying they don't trust the ONE board member who is actively trying to fix the problems in the school system? You mean the real journalism where the reporter was hired outside of the county because the journalist(s) on staff have proven they can't remain objective long enough to write a story? You mean the real journalism where the BOE attorney and other board members all but convict Meadors of something that so far has not even made it to court? You mean the real journalism that digs up Meadors' past that is totally irrelevant to this case but says nothing about the Carpenters' past or even present? You mean the real journalism where no teachers were interviewed to give real insight into how things truly are at Alcovy High School? Is that the "real journalism" you speak of? Because I missed that.

Billy 1 year, 10 months ago

Amp, that poster above is nothing more than a cheerleader for the lawsuit party. I don't read her posts--they're obviously put on here to run interference and sideside true issues. A complete zero...

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

Billy, I hate putting words in others mouthes but, did you mean side step? And if you don't read my posts how did you know what or how to respond. While I have your attention, your post about the democratic forum was lame. Let's all meet on the Square this Thursday for a meet and greet, then discuss our differences. What say?

WayBack 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, as long as we're correcting others' written English... "mouthes" should be spelled "mouths"; you need a question mark after the second sentence; "democratic" (here) is a proper adjective, so you should capitalize it; and "what say" is colloquial, so I want to let it go, but really you should have written "What do you say?"

Also, do you have a job?

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

If that's all you have seen through these months of whining then you have missed a lot. Please get a life! No need to respond I have more important things to do than to give you anymore of my precious time. Oh by the way did I mention I like your hat on your profile?

John 1 year, 10 months ago

So I guess you what you are saying in your last sentence you are in favor of "curbing freedom of expression". If the CN selectively allows or disallows comments on articles isn't that what they are doing? You either allow it all the way or not at all - you can't be 1/2 pregnant.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

John I assumed you were speaking to me since the paper doesn't always put replies where you expect, if so this is my answer to you. No I am not in favor of curbing freedom of speech but I do not believe that every article has a need for feedback. I have stated this in the past and have made my feelings known about this on this blog. There are ways for anyone to express their views on any story without hiding behind a pseudonym and it is known as a letter to the editor. It is easy for someone to spout heresay and half truths when they can hide behind anonymity. You probably already know this but for anyone else, google the words "what is a blog? I got this,"a website on which an individual or group of users record opinions, information,etc. on a regular basis". I come here to read a local paper not some group griping everyday about what they like and dislike for months. I have stated and stand behind my earlier assertion that "not all articles need a comment section" especially when they are as vicious as some of the ones I've read about the BOE, the Alcovy Principal, Its students and the Superintendent. And to think that our little community is trying to attract industry.

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

Did it ever occur to you that some people resort to anonymous comments because when they bring up problems in the system in person or by phone they are either ignored or retaliated against. I know of parents who have complained about AHS and shortly after that have received nasty phone calls in response. I also know of teachers who have been reprimanded, suspended, or even fired because they had the nerve to complain about serious issues. THAT is why people resort to anonymous comments. They feel they have no choice and that is on the NCSS leadership for allowing this stuff to fester. By the way Covingtonian, what is your real name? Care to share with us? Hmmmmmm... didn't think so.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll gladly share my identity with you today on the Covington Square @ 5 pm I'll have a sign that will have "I am Covingtonian" will you identify yourself to me? I'm traveling from a great distance just to meet those who want to talk. Be there or be square. pun intended.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

By the way, the Covington News has a sale on it's paper until 5 today (Thursday 10/11) for a twelve month subscription for only $48 what a deal. That's why I'll be in Covington to beat the deadline and see family, I didn't see the sale until late. Bring your peeps to the square we can have a merry ole time. Everyone needs to be on their best behavior we don't want know trouble, just meet and share our screen names and talk about positive things to affect change. We can go grab a bite to eat at either Chick Fil A or Applebees if you like, i'm sure we can stir something news worthy up. I only have one exception to meeting, I refuse to eat with anyone calling themself SATAN, you can stay home. Hope to see everyone,especially Shannon and Kbeet. We blogging now!

gsm7476 1 year, 10 months ago

I know who you are we work in the same place. Just stop you not getting any where.

John 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes I was replying to you as I did directly copy your comment in my post. Like you i believe the public should be free to comment on all articles which is different than you opinion. So I say opinions are like e 'belly buttons" we all have one - some are outees, some are inees, etc.

TheUpside 1 year, 10 months ago

I know a little about the players in the case. I would worry a lot less about someones life 8 years ago than I would wanting to know if there is corruption in our school system. The data that keeps coming out from all over suggests there is a lot of true stuff said in the columns and I know I dont want anyone trying to link my separation and divorce or family illness to something 8 years later so it is a bunch of hooey. Shame on the courts for allowing the attorney to talk to papers and to blog about a case while pending without censuring her or putting a punitive fine on her abusing the court process and system. There will be suits about this to come for a long time against the plaintiff it seems like from what I hear so she started something that central office people say they are trying to find a way to dig out of and using the paper seems to be the only way because everyone who really knows the working ons at Alcovy High School knows that just about all that we read about it in the peoples comments are 100% true. Surely someone is getting close to uncovering it or the drastic behaviors would not be happening.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

@ TheUpside, If your separation and divorce dealt with a morality issues I would want to know all about it if you decided you wanted to run for an elective office. Also if your illness was due to your immoral conduct again, I would want to know if you were seeking public office whether it was 8 years ago or not. Think also about the "true data" you mention that is coming out. Is it coming out of "executive sessions"? If so there is a "trust issue" . My examples in no way is to suggest that any of the players concerned have any morality issues, It was only a way for mre to use an example. I'm sorry but I fail to see your UpSide.

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

What about alleged leaks by Dennis Carpenter? How do you feel about that?

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

You said it "alleged leaks". If it can be proven that anyone leaked information from an executive session meeting I feel the same, that person cannot be trusted.

gsm7476 1 year, 10 months ago

Write in honey BOO Boo for school board

Henrycounselor 1 year, 10 months ago

I know right gsm?

Covingtonian you have a crappy attitude no one is going to like you when you grow up. HA. What I find hysterical is you can pat the carpenters on the back all you want to that doesn't mean all of us need to bow down because of you SUPERIORITY COMPLEX. No one cares if you like ours posts or not further more some people had really been affected by the Law suit unlike you who take sides when necessary. If you infact have nothing else to say then don't. If you don't like what we post stay off here. You just like every one on here has the right to opinion so you tell us to get a life, uh my friend take your own advice on that. You always have a smart remark for someone.

Chill out will you?

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

Because I don't agree with you my attitude is crappy? Thank you for feeling that I am superior but I have to admit I'm not. And it is shocking that you believe in freedom of speech but ask me to stay off here if I don't like what you have to say. To be honest I like giving back to you negative posters, what you like giving to others, "a hard time" not to mention i think that most of you are bigoted. I can only hope that you truly or not a counselor at anyones school.

suerprincipal 1 year, 10 months ago

What is sicknening is you should stop being such a corrector inspector. Never anything nice comes out your mouth Covingtonian. Or let me be correct nothing you type is ever nice. It always has to do with what someone can do better or what their not doing. If making up for things you lack makes you happy then go for it. No one really cares about your 2 cents anyway. You tell people "get a life" well your doing the same exact thing we are. So get a clue 2 wrongs don't make a right do they? You remind me of a bitter old hag who gets thrills by putting others down. Have fun.

It really is tiresome just like your friends Law suit.

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

Hee Hee, I'm sorry you are getting sick. I like to think that Im a nice person. Don't you like constructive criticism? And if you don't care about my two cents, I have a nickle, how you like me now? Are you a peeping tom? how do you know that I am doing the same exact thing you are? I agree with you in that two wrongs do not make a right, so i'm going left next time. As for the bitter old hag line, thank you my birthday will be the 31st of this mointh. What friend and what lawsuit? hee hee

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

In the words of Rodney King, Can't we all just get along? I offered an olive branch but no one wants to take it, seems everybody wants to stay hidden. Oh well on to happier things, you all have a nice day.

John 1 year, 10 months ago

Or maybe the reason no one wants to take your olive branch offering might be they simply don't wish to be your "new best friend". It seems from here you have an "I" complex as you use that word and myself more than often in your writings & seem to always disagree with another one's point of view unless it totally agrees with your opinions & observations. Further you seem to take a great deal of pleasure in calling out a typo or incorrect grammar and advise them to go to the library. Well, here is exactly what your wrote approx. 3 days ago - "I can only hope that you truly or not a counselor at anyones school." Hmmm! Can you find the two errors?

Romulus 1 year, 10 months ago

I have to disagree with Covingtonian: I think every article SHOULD be subject to direct comments. The days of reporters writing in a vacuum is over and this is the age of free and open discourse. As such, reporters should be held accountable to their readers if and when they engage in the yellow journalism tactics that we see from those "News" organs in the grocery store aisles. The NCSS lawsuit has been about freedom of expression since day one and The Newton Citizen has solidly come down on the side of freedom and liberty each and every time. Comments give readers the capacity to add interest and value to a story as the search for truth continues. We are given the opportunity to participate as opposed to passively accepting whatever we read. The Citizen Poll is yet another example of the paper listening to the community and I would wager that it is one of the most popular sections of the paper. The other paper and many in the community would rather everyone continue to act like sheep, and just sit down and shut up and do what they are told. Is that the sort of world you wish to live in? You want to live in a place where the only voices heard are the "official" ones? That is the current reality and climate within NCSS, much more appropriate to Bejing or Tehran than Covington, GA.