Newton Citizen Poll for Nov. 25, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1349. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"I was at the Newton playoff game on Friday against East Coweta and let me say that I was very disappointed by the turnout there. Of all three of our high schools this was the only one that had a home playoff game and what seemed like no community support other than the family and friends of the players. The Newton band was almost nonexistent as I constantly heard E. Coweta's band playing with Newton's band going to the field with around five minutes left before halftime. The crowd that I saw was one color and I know that there are more races at that school than just black people who were mainly at the game. I will say that Newton should REALLY try HARD to diversify their team. I've seen Alcovy and Eastside's team and they are diversified. Newton has this mentality that they are some kind of HBCU school it seems. If they are going to continue to operate like that, then they shouldn't expect much support from those of us who like diversified schools."

"The Old Man says HALLELUJAH! The election is over for another couple years, the mud slinging will not start for at least another six months and the experts are all busy telling you what went wrong or what went right. Now wouldn't it be nice if our part-time over-paid employees would shake hands across the aisle and start working for the people. Oh, I forgot; when I watch the goings on in Congress, I only see six or eight people there. The rest of them sit in their office I guess and push buttons for their vote. I guess it is pretty hard to reach across the aisle. I know that blaming Obama was the easiest thing to do, but didn't our Congress have some say in it? If they didn't, why do we have a Congress? But enough of this. Let us hope that the bad-mouthing from the media and the public stops and things start improving. As long as we listen to the newscasters who try to be newsmakers we will not start working together. Things sometimes looks bad because we have been a ME nation for too long and we have had an abundance of everything. I realize there are some who feel like they had not had what everyone else has but whose fault is that? I don't know. Only they know and have a hard time admitting the problem. Now many of us are suffering although I see everyone running around with a Smart Phone or some other gadget stuck in his or her ear. Our priorities seemed to be out of alignment. There are many things we should be doing now. Stop thinking about ME so much and start bugging your congressmen to do a little something for the country. And don't forget; if you really don't like the USA you can always leave but don't stick around and try to tear it up. Go to some other country and try that and I don't know how long it will be before you want to return."

"A NHS teacher told a friend of mine that an ANTI-Charter School Amendment PowerPoint was shown by a school administrator in our county before the vote took place and during taxpayer paid time at a faculty meeting. Newton Citizen where is your investigative team did this happen?"

"I was calling about people wanting you to donate to different charities. I have no problem with donating to people that need a helping hand. The problem is you can't donate to them without donating to people who want a handout. I'm on a fixed income. I try to keep my head above water and I cannot donate money to people who want a handout. That's just not going to happen. People want you to donate to this, that and the other, and if you don't, they look at you like your a hoodlum. I try the best I can to donate, but that said, it's just hard to do.""FYI to some drivers out there: 1. When you pull up to a roundabout, you are obligated to yield to traffic already in the roundabout -- do not just pull out in front of people and make them slam on their brakes. If you do cut in front of traffic like that, I hope you are seen by police and ticketed, or, in the event of an accident, found at fault and that the other driver sues the pants off you and your insurance company. 2. If there are no cars in the roundabout, you do not have to yield or to stop because there is no reason to yield or stop. And you definitely do not need to look both ways! Just keep going on into the roundabout. 3. If you are already in the roundabout and a car pulls up to a yield sign and stops, you do not stop and let them pull out in front of you because you have the right of way. I don't care if you're just trying to be nice, that is not how a roundabout works. The other car that has yielded for you will pull into the roundabout after you have passed by (unless they are a teetotal jerk and run the yield sign, in which case, you will have to hit the brakes). 4. Please relate the above three rules to everyone you know."

Comments

Covingtonian 1 year, 10 months ago

To the person with the helpful comments about driving into the roundabout, forget it from what I have seen most people don't know the rules of the road. Go to the square in Covington and you may be surprised to see how many people come to a complete stop at the yield signs when no one is coming. There is a difference between a stop sign and a yield but most defer to stopping "just in case they are suppose to". Please oh please correct the light at Monticello and Pace street which holds to long on the Pace side when there isn't any traffic on Monticello, with gas over $3 a gallon someone needs to look into it. Indutrial Blvd and Hazlebrand is another especially late at night. these lights hold for almost five minutes unless there are multiple vehicles there. Yes people those white stop lines across the street have sensors that detects when a vehicle is there, try pulling up to them and not stopping five to ten feet back.

gladtohaveajob 1 year, 10 months ago

Newton sees themselves as "some kind of HBCU" school - That's one way to put it. Way to go commentor to the poll. That is certainly how they present themselves.

John 1 year, 10 months ago

To a certain people traffic signs, speed limit, signals and so on are mere suggestions to them. But the Chief of Police has been quoted in this paper/website as his officers don't like to ticket folks unless they are going over 15 mph over the limit as they don't want to place a hardship on the drivers. This sounds like the tail is wagging the dog - the Chief is the Boss and he should set the rules. It was drummed in my head that "Speed Kills" and it does. 15 over on 278 is 60 mph or 33% over posted MAXIMUM speed limit or 42.8% over on Floyd Street - I say bust 'em & bust 'em often - the word will get around & they will start drive right or not at all. Plus, the City of Covington probably can use the extra funds to pay for 2 more stop signs on every corner like at the intersection of Brown & Usher. They actual need one more on the ground to cover all bases i.e for those that like to text & drive. By the way, 15 over on I-20 is 20% over the limit big difference plus a whole lot less stop & go situations, walkers or bike riders.

inthemiddle 1 year, 10 months ago

Georgia Law does not allow City Police or County Sheriff's to cite speeders for less than 11 mph over the speed limit (except in specific zoning areas). Also, the majority of the fines collected do not go to the city. By the way, check your stats. I-20 is a 65 mph zone, so 15 over is 23% over the speed limit (not 20%).

John 1 year, 10 months ago

1. If you look on page 69 of the DDS manual (laws for drivers) you will find a speed limit sign with the numbers 55 on it as an example with the following copy next to it "55 miles per hour is the maximum speed limit permitted in this area". Maximum is Maximum and anything above it is subject to citation. So please cite the Georgia Law code you speak of - I am open to new information as long it is not myth and you can "show me" it is not water cooler talk..
  2. It does not matter where it goes traffic citations pays for something better the law breakers than me a taxpayer. By the way, what per cent of the traffic fines collected do go to the city or county? (not all fines are made by CPD and "not all" is not very definitive but strongly implies a portion does.
  3. Apparently, you never travel east of exit 93 on I-20. If you ever do, you will discover 70 mph speed limit signs and if you ever venture west just beyond Douglasville you'll find more all the way to the Alabama state line. 70 mph is the maximum speed limit in the state of Georgia for interstate roads in rural areas and that is what my statement is based on - touche! jack rabbit. Those signs have up for at least 16 years & 7 months that I've lived in Georgia. If you want to be scientifically exact 15 over in a 70 is 21.428% over but is still a lesser % than 15 over than the other examples cited.

inthemiddle 1 year, 7 months ago

40-14-8. When case may be made and conviction had

(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

Covingtonian 1 year, 9 months ago

inthemiddle if my memory serves me correctly parts of I-20 are also zoned @ 55 mph, Dekalb and parts of Fulton County going into Atlanta. And your statement abount city and county officers isn't entirely correct either, one can be cited for to fast for conditions if the weather is increment and traveling even the posted speed can be dangerous. My understanding of the speed laws has always been that Troopers could cite you for traveling less than 10mph above the limit because any revenue generated by said citation goes into the cofers of the municipality or county said ticket was issued and the reason city and county officers were obliged to give 10mph above posted limited was because it could be an incentive as a source of revenue for their city/county. Remember Ludowici several years ago? I would like to know if my info is correct or not, anyone like to weigh in with an intelligent response?

inthemiddle 1 year, 7 months ago

So how is my statement incorrect. Citing someone for too fast for conditions has nothing to do with enforcing maximum speed limits. I said that, aside from specific situations, city and county police can't cite for less than 10 MPH over the posted limit. This is true. 40-6-180 is the commonly used code for too fast for conditions (" No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard for the actual and potential hazards then existing. Consistently with the foregoing, every person shall drive at a reasonable and prudent speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching and traversing a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazards exist with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.")

Notice there is no mention of speed or maximum speed limits. It would be hard to make a TFFC case if a car was doing 90 mph on I-20 in perfect weather with no other cars on the road. Similarly, it would be relatively easy to make one on a car doing 35 mph in a 35 mph zone on a rainy day in an area with lots of crosswalks and pedestrian traffic. Enforcement of this code sections is made on the conditions, and the number of the posted limit is irrelevent.

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 10 months ago

Can the Citizen confirm or deny that Gary Mathews originally intended to remove human resources from Dennis Carpenter?

Shart15 1 year, 10 months ago

Can the paper ask for the case file from Jeff Foster? Teachers want stuff out for the public to see. I will help pay for it!

Satan69 1 year, 10 months ago

The teachers deserve to have stuff out, Jeff Foster should get it out if he can.

CBSfinder 1 year, 10 months ago

Your right satan the teachers do deserve at least that. I do believe if it is necessary Foster would have no problem putting that out there. No worries.

@freshvoice I would like to know that myself about Mathews?

Thishonky 1 year, 10 months ago

Fix the nepotism policy Mr Matthews.

Thishonky 1 year, 10 months ago

@FreshVoice - yes it is true there is an original copy of Gary Matthews May 8th letter. GO back and look at the BOE minutes from May 8th - you have to look at June to see the May ones - the BOE mentions 2 exceptions and one was the asst principals they did not move and the other is where allegedly some BOE members fought Mathews and would not let him take HR away from Carpenter like he wanted to do. Rumor has it the paper has been trying to get the AG to release it since the BOE attorney fought the release of this but yes Mathews made a wise move to handle some of this and get HR away from Dennis Carpenter but it failed but if you pay attention you can tell something was up at the meeting that night Everyone knew it and that is that.