Newton Citizen Poll for Nov. 18, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1349. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"I am a 78-year-old Korean era Army veteran and I attended the ceremony yesterday (11-12-12). I was somewhat disappointed as this seemed to amount to no more than a showplace for politicians and a history of the speaker's life. I looked at the other veterans there and I am sure they lived their lives under a code of honor and ethical conduct. The residents of Covington seem to have no concept of what this means. In the old days most all governments had a form of ethical standards. Here in Covington when the legals are printed you see the homes of city employees that have liens, foreclosures, suits and judgement requests printed against them. You have seen employees arrested for stealing. Adulterous and moral scandals seem to be commonplace. When you look at the elderly veterans and then look of what is the norm today, you think was it all worth it? Older veterans are not even safe in their homes anymore."

"I never see editorials from this paper. Do the editors work in the shadows or have opinions?"

"The public cannot complain about nepotism if they are not willing to give input. Send input on nepotism and conflicts of interest in Newton schools to: info@newton.k12.ga.us."

"I wonder if I am the only one who has grown beyond weary of Jeff Meadors' constant blathering from upon his self-invented soapbox in the Citizen. Do you guys actually employ any editorial staff? I ask because if you do, then surely you've noticed his brazen hypocrisy on Amendment 1, which recently passed thanks in large part to the wool being pulled over 58 percent of the electorate's eyes by couching it in criminally misleading language. During the General Assembly's 2012 session, surely you noticed that your narcissistic columnist, Jeffrey Meadors, railed against HR 1162, yet when the political winds seemed to blow a different direction in the fall, he simply reversed course and hoped no one would notice. Over and over, Meadors insists on insulting the intelligence of this paper and all citizens and constituents who read it. Don't take my word for it; go back and read for yourself. http://t.newtoncitizen.com/news/2012/feb/07/0208_meadorscolumn/ District 1 constituents, if you can't see through this guy's baloney, you're not paying close enough attention and are being duped by another typical politician whose true concern lies not in the public good but in his own self-interest. In light of all his pontificating about conflicts of interest, perhaps in the interest of full disclosure, he should do a series of columns about his own."

"So, our school board wants a $75 million SPLOST. First come completely clean on the allegations of missing money at Alcovy High on LaQuanda Carpenter's watch before I give you one red penny. Until the full disclosure comes out as part of your campaign I vote no. That means receipts on all monies collected cross referenced with bookkeeping logs from 2009 to now. No less. And have an independent attorney do it not your annual auditor. Vote no March 19. No new taxes."

So Dennis Carpenter pushes SPLOST. Uh, no. Think about his disastrous handling of the opening of Ombudsman. Airport Road. The Water and Sewerage litigation he made worse costing taxpayers more. Stadium light oversight at Newton High. Failure to save promised savings on gas cards. The whole Lead Learners mess. It goes on and on."

"I am going on record to say that I will vote against education SPLOST. How much has the LaQuanda Carpenter lawsuit cost us. Until we get an accounting of every penny she cost our system and until all parties are made 100 percent whole by her then I will push hard to fail this $75 million SPLOST March 19.

"For the record Mitt Romney won the popular vote. The popular vote is the vote of all the people in the U.S. The people wanted Romney for president, not Obama. The people wanted change. They want religious freedom, jobs, prosperity and security. That is not what we the people got. Pray for our United States. We need God's help. God bless America."

Editor’s Note: The Associated Press reports that Barack Obama’s popular vote total was 62,615,406 and Mitt Romney’s was 59,142,004 with 99 percent of the precincts reporting as of Thursday.

"I am glad the citizens of Newton County did not elect someone from the Covington Police Department to be their sheriff. The city of Covington needs to realize there is a large segment of the population who do not hold the city in high esteem, along with their police department. Their officers seem to be swamped with scandal and debt problems. The city government seems to put forth a bad image for the rest of Newton County."

Comments

eyewitness 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think he reversed course at all on HR1162 it went thru many iterations but I never saw him tell me how to vote like 4 others did.

es3491 1 year, 9 months ago

Really? Wow. I followed it closely from introduction to passage and never really noticed a substantive change. What did I miss?

Shart15 1 year, 9 months ago

I find it funny. Neither of my eligible grandkids got in the theme school. Both Baker and Coggins kids got in right?

Shart15 1 year, 9 months ago

Meadors is not ur hypocrite. The 4 boe members who told us to vote NO on charters then approved CCA are. I have not once heare him tell me how to vote unlike eddie and the others.

es3491 1 year, 9 months ago

So you're in favor of CCA and its 7% graduation rate. OK. I guess you "heared" some info I haven't.

Shart15 1 year, 9 months ago

Why don't you file a lawsuit then? If opinions bother you that much sue someone. That turned out well huh? I was told the funding did change a lot through the many rewrites so it makes sense plus the scores around here offer little.

Lucy30016 1 year, 9 months ago

wow someone is mad but they read the guy's columns anyway? And he is criminally misleading? Well he did not have allegations of missing money or booze on trips did he? Uh no. And i think he presented both sides of HR 1162 well and if he changed his mind after the house and senate changed the budget part then good for him he is paying attention and reading and watching and acting smart. Either way it is his opinion and you are loving it or you would not read it - hypocrite yourself haha. Americans believe in free speech you must be DLC.

es3491 1 year, 9 months ago

Disagree, yet examine other points of view? I know, it probably does seem like a foreign concept to you.

No one said HE's criminally misleading . . . rather the working of amendment on the ballot, which was decided upon by the Governor, Lt. Governor, and Secretary of State, to be specific.

". . . after the House and Senate changed the budget part . . ." Be specific with what you mean there, please.

"paying attention . . . and . . . acting smart . . ." certainly more than can be said for his supporters, it would appear.

"loving it or you would not read it" - So you can only read what you agree 100% with. And in the same breath you claim to advocate free speech, after which you take a stab in the dark. Nice. Intelligent, too.

eyewitness 1 year, 9 months ago

Obama changed his mind on Gitmo but I bet you voted for him huh?

TheUpside 1 year, 9 months ago

DC or LC must be home trolling the Newton Citizen - AGAIN. Wow they hate this guy. Let's do this one more time. One: It is America. Two: We have free speech. Three: People have the right to change their minds or change opinions based on 3 different writings of House Resolutions or Bills. Four: You are bored or you would not be reading this.

es3491 1 year, 9 months ago

1-2: OK. No one challenged either.

3: Please explain for the layman what dramatic changes in the language of HR 1162 took place over the course of the legislative session took place to the extent that it would cause a reasonable person/politician to do a complete 180.

4: So you're bored too, then, by definition.

PaperChase 1 year, 9 months ago

Meadors is a gifted writer. I looked back and found nowhere that he told anyone how to vote or even said I think this way or that. In fact one column shows where he talks about being accused of supporting vouchers and says he never even said that. I think some NCSS thugs - mainly 2 of them - are hawking the blogs as we've been told one does daily from his high paid lurch in the Clamp Castle. This is the same one who cannot string together two correct sentences using the King's English. Meadors is intelligent obviously and has thought these issues through. This resolution went through many writings like the posters say and I was at Eastside when he spoke publicly about the different versions and how he changed his opinion once it came through the budget rewrites. Someone likes the columns enough to blast them though and in publishing that is what we love. Keep reading and keep hating it is making this paper the most popular ever as the other news rag sits in driveways for weeks turning brown with spiders all up inside it.

tomgahunter 1 year, 9 months ago

I live in the 1st district, I support Mr. Meadows & plan to vote for him in 2 years. It is good to see Ms. Baker start to take interest in what is good for the students rather than only caring for a few chosen administrators.

TheUpside 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't see him running again would you put up with this 4 more years? I already plan to help him if he does and I already suggesed he make the lawsuit dismissal and all he knows about corruption a theme of his campaign. The plaintiff will then stay in the news for this mess for years. I still am waiting on a countersuit. If he takes my advice he can tell it all.

Chambermaid 1 year, 9 months ago

Meadors tells the truth and it isn't his fault that he tells the truth and uses proper grammar. I don't see anything misleading or lied about. To the writer why are you so bitter? You should be bitter about all the goings on at Alcovy the missing money and all the reciepts and other things that cannot be accounted for. I mean these people are the problem not a columnist who gives examples on how to solve problems and gives actual data. You really want to talk about "baloney" look at the other board members with the exception of Meadors of Henderson-baker the others have no clue what is even going on. That in my opinion is baloney. You might want to read his articles again. I think that maybe you may be a little confused my friend.

Do you even know what narcissistic means? Narcissistic "a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and lack of empathy.

I hardly think that describes him at all. Look at Eddie Johnson or Dennis Carpenter they fit that to a tee.

es3491 1 year, 9 months ago

He uses proper grammar. Did anyone question that?

Yes, I know what narcissistic means. Thanks for the refresher. Your definition of narcissistic is basically correct. I'd also add, basically, self-important; self-aggrandizing. Interestingly, if you do a google search, as you clearly did, you'd probably also note that the single most commonly returned term is personality disorder.

Kodaanddylansmom 1 year, 9 months ago

I will vote for him again just like the time before. I agree Tom I too am glad to see Baker finally coming around.

Hey look at it this way if he was writing for the covington news it would definatly be a lie because they print nothing but lies and trash just like their reporters. At least the citizen finds the truth then prints it. So I can tell you I highly doubt that if he was writing lies or unfactual info the citizen would have nothing to do with it.

Tairuna 1 year, 9 months ago

I love how meadors writes and it is so effective it made some goofball mad!!! Now that is good writing!

CBSfinder 1 year, 9 months ago

Goodness someone seems to be a little Jealous don't they? Sakes alive you see what good writing gets you? Wow. The curses of being gifted these days. I find this funny the truthful people get talked about the untruthful ones get praised. HA. It is ok Mr Meadors keep writing.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 9 months ago

That is great writing if you can tick someone off just by reading your writings. That is a beautiful thing. I say keep it going keep writing and keep ticking them off.

Frustrated 1 year, 9 months ago

At least Mr Meadors doenst try to sugar coat things and try to get people to see hi side through rose colored glasses. Facts are facts and you cant change that!

JoanD 1 year, 9 months ago

Amen Frustrated!!! Truer words have never been spoken. Absolutely facts are facts and truth is truth.

Grandcanyon 1 year, 9 months ago

I am looking at the words that this person is throwing around and it seems that they are using big words to wow the readers , however it really isn't doing anything except making me wonder do you have any other hobbies or have a personal vandetta against the writer of these columns. What a shame.

MamaTurd 1 year, 9 months ago

I read Huckaby Meadors & Jenkins weekly. Would not miss them. Usually agree don't always agree but they are 3 educators and 3 different but awesome writers. The written word holds much power obviously and I wish them all continued writing.

Personalsavior 1 year, 9 months ago

He did not flip flop he presented this case at a public forum you dumdum. HR1162 changed in crossover and he made this clear. But I changed my mind. After watching the litigious waste of my tax dollars by LaQuanda Carpenter on her dismissed lawsuit and her destruction of all the good Dave Easterday left at Alcovy I change to a NO on the March 19th SPLOST. That is the beauty of a woman. I change my mind and keep my one penny. Take that LaQuanda Brown Carpenter.

ThePublicGood 1 year, 9 months ago

I would agree. But the column I can't wait to read is the one about the covington news reporter central peeps rumor to be in the works. And I have a column idea how much did we spend on school bd attorney for this principal? And an expose on allegations of missing money. Do tell.

Shart15 1 year, 9 months ago

This weeks complaint in the poll came from an attorney. You guess which one!

Tatersalad 1 year, 9 months ago

Wasn't it the covington news (notice the low caps for the rag) that wrote about Eddie in their article that started: “Board Chairman Eddie Johnson went absolutely and rudely ballistic during his opposition to this proposal, in spite of the fact that every issue he made was proven to be baseless in advance . . " One reporter has been rumored to say that this same board member was going to sue the covington news when he ran for his first term because they referred to him as something like bus driver running for BOE. This is what you got peeps for the BOE.

suerprincipal 1 year, 9 months ago

I agee. No on Splost until LaQuanda Carpenter makes good on her October 9th email to Alcovy High teachers that she welcomes an investigation. How much money is missing that the superintendent referred to and what happened on the school sanctioned trip???

sweetpotato 1 year, 9 months ago

To the very uninformed person that said that a large portion of Newton Co does not hold the City of Covington in high esteem. As a proud resident of the City of Covington I happen to personally know that: The City of Covington is the driving economic island in Newton County. The City of Covington is and has been for quite some time considered probably one of the best and most efficiently ran municipalities in the State. The Police Dept was the FIRST in the State of Georgia to be CALEA accredited that was in 1983 and they have maintained that status . The Sheriffs Office some 30 yrs later just reached State certification which pales in comparison to the CPD. CPD has majority college educated officers with many supervisors holding more than one degree. The City realizes the importance of maintaining quality employees they pay them more but in turn they expect more from them. For your information the evil City of Covington has covered more than its fair share of expenses in many joint projects that benefit all of Newton, public safety being the main one ! Your comment seems to center around the defeat of a CPD Captain for Sheriff. So it sounds like you want The City of Covington to stay out of the affairs of Newton County and stop picking up the tabs for programs that the County can not afford to fund , I would say be careful what you ask for........ you might get it !

John 1 year, 9 months ago

So I guess we can blame all these "wonderful" (and I state that with tongue in cheek) economic islands called fast food restaurants on the City of Covington. Good job C of C (I again state with tongue in cheek) for attracting a record number of Waffles Houses ( with some built on slivers of land), Mc Ds & the like. Not to mention the major influx of title loan businesses that adorn both sides of 278 - kinda' the drug store concept - one on every corner. Speaking of drug stores we seem to have a bunch of them too! Sure would be nice to have a choice of more than less than a handful of nice quality places to eat in C of C and/or NC.

inthemiddle 1 year, 9 months ago

Surely you aren't suggesting that the government be allowed to deny a fast food restaurants or drug stores just because you don't approve. Free market economics 101 says let supply and demand and market based economics determine which businesses sink and which ones swim.

John 1 year, 9 months ago

Not at all but local government can & has prevented a supply of available restaurants of a higher scale than fast food types from coming into the city & county. But the major obstacles are now behind us after the last election. It was a bit of a shock to certain people in NC when Nagoya moved into a location just outside the city limits and was allowed to serve other than "maltese and vinious" beverages. Really don't recall this tactic of controlling the competition being covered in Economics 101 or any other courses I had while I earned my MBA. That really doesn't fit a free market situation, does it?

John 1 year, 9 months ago

Sweet Potato; Let's deal with facts, from the 2010 Census (source US Census Burea) rather than eliteist type unfounded commentary, Population of Newton County 99,958 (C of C 14,894 or 14.9% of NC); Median Household Income Newton County $52,332; C of C $33,014 (63% of the entire count), Median age Newton County 34.7%, C of C 32.46 (or 2 years less experience in dealing with life). Newton County Population grew by 61% from 2000 to 2010; C of C grew 37% (or a rate of 60.6% less than than the entire county). A definition of an island a land mass isolated in all directions by water or isolated by water. These stated facts are strong indications who pays the most in property taxes (that support the entire school system, hospital and all those Newton County buildings that reside within the City of Covington that at least belong to Newton County and sales taxes, ad valorem taxes, buys water & electric from the City of Covington, etc. If that economic driving island that you see were to secede from Newton County and become a stand on their own entity (or island). What do you really think it would look like in one year without the revenue generated from 85% of the population?

inthemiddle 1 year, 9 months ago

The county cleans up off of city residents. City residents pay the same property taxes as country residents but receive far fewer services from the county since the county does not provide law enforcement, fire, or road maintenance to city tax payers.

John 1 year, 9 months ago

In the middle, There you go again "shooting from the hip with an empty gun ". If the population outside of the City of Covington is larger by approx. 85,000 people one can safely assume there are more property owners & the median income is higher than those inside the city limits who pay more taxes - property, sales taxes, etc. Do the math - it is easy and taught in elementary school. When it comes to extra services here a couple to chew on. I live out side of the city limits & yet to have that TYMCO street sweeper run down my street once in 16 year & 8 months but it does run up & down Floyd street a couple times per week. Now the city is putting up 3 stop signs on at least one intersection which is a one-way street - county people only get one per intersection. Let's see there are, or at least there were, 4 NCSO deputies assigned to traffic control for all of Newton County (not including the cities - like Covington, Porterdale) & one was out on extended medical leave. How many does the CPD have for traffic control for a much smaller geographic area and population? And I seem to recall seeing deputies help out inside the city limits but never have I seen a CPD working outside the city limits. Now if you had said, that the businesses within the City Limits contribute a significant portion of the tax revenue you might have been on the right track. But most new business like Nissimbo, SKC were annexed into the city when they came to NC. I wonder if Baxter International will be annexed.

56vick 1 year, 9 months ago

So let me get this straight you have many deserving officers with multiple college degrees at the Covington PD and yet you promote a person with a GED ( nothing wrong with a GED ) to the rank of captain over many truly qualified officers . Talk about home town cooking . This must give all the hard working men and women a warm fuzzy feeling .Hard work and qualifications are not as important as frienship or so it seems.

MissLoy 1 year, 9 months ago

I demand a good writing on covington news journalism with details. Editorialize that!

Covingtonian 1 year, 9 months ago

Still posting under multiple names ha Shannon? Most people would be to ashamed to continue with the charade but you seem to thrive on it.

Satan69 1 year, 9 months ago

My court peep told me he has until mid december to countersue them so they may want to LIE LOW.

ThePublicGood 1 year, 9 months ago

@es3491. Trash him all you want. He spoke this year to the senate education and finance subcommittee in support of funds for counselors. We are grateful. It worked. He held public forums and provided a scholarship and donated to the education foundation. Go away he does more than any bd member for us you whiner.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 9 months ago

Sorry to disappoint you Covingtonian, Dennis or Stephanie or whom ever you may be. I have had other things to do then worry about your self inflated ego. I have one name I use and I'm using it. Now it is ok to place blame on whatever name you choose or think I may be I could really careless. I'm actually not ashamed at all have no reason to be, It is too bad you cannot get a rise out of me because that is what you want. AWWWWW to bad dear not interested. Besides everybody in the free country knows what names I have used and to my knowledge they hadn't been used.

You must be very bored cause every chance you get you have some obnoxious comment to make. Huh. Maybe you should be ashamed my friend not me.

Have a good one.

Thishonky 1 year, 9 months ago

Temper temper covingtonian I think you have a personal vandetta against Ms. Black why would you say she is all these people? Do you know something on the inside that none of us do? If so tell us? If not put a cork in it. You do know that is Libel don't you making accusations and all the things that you have said about her aand have called her. Not very nice. Show's your level of intelligence though and if she is some or even all these people it is none of your buisness and you can't prove it, but you acting like an infant only makes people want to irritate you more. I have looked back and you are constantly on her case. Do yourself a favor and chill out.