Retired principal to serve as acting AHS principal

COVINGTON -- A retired Newton County principal will serve as acting principal at Alcovy High School for at least the rest of the year.

Vic Lee, who retired in June as principal of Liberty Middle School, began working in the position Monday while current Principal LaQuanda Carpenter began an extended leave of absence as a result of maternity leave.

He is expected to work at the school for the next two or three months until she returns, according to Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews.

"I found it a great honor to be asked to serve as acting principal at Alcovy High School," Lee said Wednesday. "I have some big shoes to fill as I substitute for Dr. Carpenter. Alcovy was recently recognized by the state for their significant improvement in their test scores. My role for the next few months is to continue to promote and encourage the good work that is going on at Alcovy. Both the faculty and student body have made me feel very welcomed during my first three days."

Mathews said Lee was appointed per past practice, when a substitute is identified from a pool of available candidates.

Lee retired from NCSS after 37 years in education. He has 18 years of teaching experience and 19 years of administrative experience.

He began working in NCSS in July 2002 as an assistant principal at Newton High School, where he worked until 2008. He then worked as assistant principal at Sharp Learning Center in 2008 and as acting principal at Sharp until 2009, when he moved to Liberty.

During his time as principal at Liberty Middle, the school was recognized by the Governor's Office of Student Achievement for being in the top echelon of Georgia schools for the greatest gains among schools in the 95th percentile on the state's Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests. Additionally, Liberty had more than 20 percent of its students exceeding standards on the CRCTs, Mathews previously said when speaking of the principal.

"Mr. Lee is an experienced and award-winning principal and will do a fine job while serving AHS," said Carpenter on the school's website.

Carpenter's husband, Dennis, who is deputy superintendent of Operations at NCSS, also is out of the office on vacation until January, according to Mathews. He will have no short-term replacement.

Comments

John 1 year, 5 months ago

WOW, six weeks of paid vacation & it ain't even summer time - next time around I want to work for the Board of Education.

CW 1 year, 5 months ago

Since the system can do obviously do without Mr. Carpenter (no one will fill in for him), why not? That one thing would take care of two birds with one stone. No more nepotism.

dennistay53 1 year, 5 months ago

@ John- Sometimes you save money and enhance moral by paying someone to stay home and not come to work.

John 1 year, 5 months ago

I thought the same but didn't want to say it.

deathtotaxes 1 year, 5 months ago

How many days have the both of them worked this year?

Frustrated 1 year, 5 months ago

Wish I could take a couple of months paid vacation time.

John 1 year, 5 months ago

In 41 years I only took my total earned vacation two years and took only a total of 5 sick days and 3 personal days. I was fortunate not to get sick and took care of my personal stuff on my time. I had a job to do for the companies that paid me and did it on time & within allocated budgets.

Frustrated 1 year, 5 months ago

guess thats the difference between us and the Carpenters. We understand we have a job to do and do it.

eyewitness 1 year, 5 months ago

Christmas in November for NCSS!

CadyJackson 1 year, 5 months ago

I would imagine they are both taking time off under the FMLA, where a parent is eligible for unpaid leave after the birth or adoption of a child--fathers too! It is up to the employer as to whether the parent is paid or not during this time.

tomgahunter 1 year, 5 months ago

wonder if we are paying for Mr. Carpenter's time off, does anyone know NCSS's policy?

Frustrated 1 year, 5 months ago

"vacation" as quoted in the article is NOT the same as family leave.

John 1 year, 5 months ago

As I read the FMLA it states there must be a serious situation for the father to take time off. The following is a direct copy of the FMLA over view..... *"The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to: Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:

the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth; the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement; to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition .........................**

MamaTurd 1 year, 5 months ago

Just so you know I was told this weekend that the Newton County school board is voting on November 27th on whether or not to abolish its policy GAG on staff conflicts of interest. Now is a good time to give public input. The school system requested public input and I've been told not many have complained but now is the time to do it at: info@newton.k12.ga.us This is exactly why we need a nepotism policy with strong wording in Newton County given the Dennis Carpenter - LaQuanda Carpenter budgets, who manages who, lawsuit mess . . .

amp72 1 year, 5 months ago

First week on the job and he has to deal with a couple of knuckleheads stealing computer monitors from the school. Good luck Mr. Lee!

Billy 1 year, 5 months ago

Why do people even waste time with the Public School System? Their priorities are obvioulsly not the children or their education. If you send your children there because you have no financial choice in the matter, pray, pray, pray for them every day, every time they are at school. Drugs, gangs, bullies, and worse than those three, worthless staff that are more concerned about their union and what it wants than any other issue--you might as well be throwing them in the lion's den...

MamaTurd 1 year, 5 months ago

It is really hard to disagree with you Billy. I don't understand why we don't know more about the dismissed lawsuit. How much did we pay the school board attorney to fight a personal civil suit. I know people in the central office have told me things but I am waiting to see if the paper will find out. Why is the school system trying to get rid of Policy GAG on Staff Conflicts of Interest? That is what they say on the website it is in the column to be abolished? Really? After all we have been throught with Alcovy with the husband - wife thing and look at the crime at that school and the test scores. I blame the public. You all whine and post and blog but you don't show up and fight this board on these types of things. The very idea that after all we have been through - think about the whole Lead Learners LLC stuff that came out why Gary Mathews was told at Rotary the community is upset about this. I say we hold them accountable and until we learn all there is to know about Alcovy High school and possible missing money and why LaQuanda Carpenter dismissed her lawsuit the SAME DAY that the article came out where the attorney wanted her 3 years of receipts? We pay for these schools - not another penny until they get clean with us. Put it on the table BOE - you want to market a campaign for SPLOST - be transparent on the May 8th letter that was circulating at Alcovy High in May from what we hear and why are we told that nothing is in the files of Dennis Carpenter per the covington news when there is talk out there that October 2011 he had a serious letter of points made against him by the superintendent? Before I vote on SPLOST I will be getting REAL LOUD about the people who did wrong in this lawsuit being punished and the ones who were attacked being made whole. If you don't want to show up at a meeting at least write the people or the superintendent or a letter to the editor do something to protect our children from principals who sue sue sue and dismiss dismiss dismiss when their records are asked for. That is not right.

Thishonky 1 year, 4 months ago

Is the nepotism ever going to fixed in the school system?