Newton CItizen Poll for May 27

"The conduct of the school board of Newton County is on the same level as Clayton County with its infighting and governing along racial lines with what appears to be no regard for the CHILDREN of our county. The only difference is the Clayton folks just didn't like each other and the Newton folks vote along racial lines. NOTHING GETS DONE! I am embarrassed! ... Do we have children running the board who throw tantrums when they do not like something? There have been numerous complaints about the principal at Alcovy High School from both parents and teachers but guess what ... those complaints landed on the desk of one of two people -- the principal's husband or their good friend who was hired by the husband. So, do we think this issue will be resolved? And what is the end result? I really do not know but can only speculate that many of the teachers will leave this school and go to other systems where nepotism is not allowed. Leading to another question -- what company, agency, government allows a husband to be a direct supervisor of his wife? So, here is how it works: teacher has issue with principal and is advised to take it to the director of Human Resources (good friend of principal and husband) who then tells his supervisor (husband of principal) about the complaint and, yep, you guessed it -- NOTHING is done. BTW, these relationships are public knowledge, at least by many, as the Principal, who received anonymous negative comments in the Citizen Post, is suing the Post for the names of the folks who wrote in. Principal doesn't know first amendment rights? YIKES! Surely to goodness the judge will toss this case. But in the meantime because the board is racially balanced in favor of the principal, her husband and their good friend, nothing will be done about this. People!! These are the folks making decisions about your children's education! Do you care at all?? I'm certain you do and encourage you to educate yourself on the qualifications of the candidates for school board positions in the upcoming elections. The ultimate losers of this type of behavior is our CHILDREN. What have they done to deserve this? Please ask yourself this question."

"ATTENTON PORTERDALE RESIDENTS. Be advised that when you renew your auto tags you are paying 57% more just because you reside in Porterdale. Newton County taxes you at a 34.676 rate while Porterdale is a whopping 54.568 rate. You can thank the Porterdale City Council for their tax and spend mindset."

"Qualifying for elected offices in 2012 ends a few days from this writing. Already it seems prominent Democrats on the west side of Newton County have pushed gullible "Republicans" (RINOs, Republican In Name Only)) into races in middle and eastern sections of the county. Their plan is to elect Democrats in West Newton and their GOP helpers elsewhere. Of course, their goal is to keep a long held grip on power that they can't otherwise have without their candidates on the ballot all over Newton County. My message to those who will vote in the July 31 Republican Primary: Take a close look at your candidates and make sure they are their own person, they share your core beliefs and they are clean of Democratic influence and fingerprints. Otherwise, nothing will ever change and the good ole boys will run this county forever."

"Congratulations to all of the Citizen Staffers who won awards from the Georgia Associated Press Association! Congratulations to Michelle Floyd, Crystal Tatum, Barbara Knowles, Aimee Jones and to Erin Evans! A BIG CONGRATULATIONS goes out to Erin Evans for winning the 2011 PHOTO OF THE YEAR AWARD! Keep up the good work!"

"There is a big political surprise brewing in a school board race. Someone is going to be embarrassed in late July and is not the election, just an eye-opening announcement. Who could it be? And what is it? Stay tuned next week to the same bat channel and same bat time. Late July will be here before you know it. Oh, does anyone know how to post to ah Facebook."

"Did you read that Newton Fire Service Chief Mike Satterfield announced his retirement in the April 25 edition? Satterfield served 31 years in the Hall County Fire Service, 21 years as Chief. Satterfield had a real retirement from Hall County and did not have to work, he just wanted to bring his expertise to Newton County to improve our department. Satterfield lasted five years before announcing his resignation from the Newton County Fire Service. Satterfield was quoted in the Newton Citizen as saying "he's faced challenges in both Hall and Newton, but none more daunting that in the years 1982 to 1983 and in the past three years when tough economic times dictated scarcity of resources." "It's easy to manage when you have all the resources you need, but it's tough to manage when you have your resources taken away, no new resources and existing resources are moved," he observed. "You have to really think outside the box and do some things that are not traditional, not standard and accepted ways we do business in emergency service. We've had some of that." He gave examples of moving staff and equipment to serve dual and sometimes triple purposes; pitching in to keep the administrative end of the business running smoothly; and even cleaning their own offices. Did you get it? The Chief got fed up; he had had enough of our Commissioners and all entire budget cuts, to the point that he could not do his job, and it was not fun anymore. He had a good retirement and did not have to put up with it. You have to have a certain number of personnel and equipment at each fire station to meet minimum standards. He could not do it, even with moving people and equipment once, twice and three time a day trying to meet the minimum with the current manpower and equipment. End result. We do not meet standards. We will most likely stand outside your home that is on fire and squirt water on it from the driveway, even if your family is inside. We do not have enough people for an interior attack with current staffing. Thank you Newton County Commissioners, Ewing, Fleming and Henderson."

"Several years ago I served on a Newton County Grand Jury. It was an eye-opening experience to hear all the criminal cases that were presented. We are not living in Mayberry anymore. I also learned that a Grand Jury is allowed to civilly investigate county offices and they can inspect county offices and operations. I think our current Grand Jury should do both. With all the political shenanigans of Commissioners Ewing, Fleming and Henderson over the past few years, it is an embarrassment to good government. I bet the readers can suggest a lengthy list of topics for the Grand Jury to look at."

"I don't know about ya'll but I am sick and tired of hearing of all the back stabbing, colluding, sneaky plotting and scheming by Commissioners Mort Ewing and Tim Fleming. Both of you conspirators know you cannot win another election so leave already. Good riddance!"

"Has it happened already in Newton County? After scanning headlines in both local newspapers today, we now seem to be in the lurch of major crime increases here at home. One after the other after the other stories reveal that we are the new Fulton, Clayton and/or DeKalb counties. Who is to blame for this conversion of a quiet, friendly county we once enjoyed? All of us knew what was happening back in the 90s but were unable to convince our past Boards of Commissioners of the outcome. If you look at former commissioners, you can see their penchant for unbridled construction, small houses whose taxes wouldn't even support the services required for the influx. The Commissioners were also in bed, so to speak, with the developers, letting them run roughshod over the entire county. What good is a 'development overlay' when it can be changed as often as the winds change. The great hype over our new 50-year development overlay is much overrated based on the recent past history. What is it good for? Apparently nothing except to provide jobs for some bureaucrats. Even with public outcry in the Commission meetings by citizens living in areas which were doomed to change went most often unheard by the commissioners. I certainly hope the commissioners have finally learned a lesson here. Commissioners from the 90s and early 2000 eras were responsible for this mess we call our home. I would like to have had a photo of each of them to post here so you could all see who they are. And, in conclusion, there are many other things their stupidity has given to us. How do you like the traffic problems and the burgeoning school budget for new school construction? The crime and all these other problems are gifts from our Newton County Board of Commissioners."

"I guess, we the average citizen simply do not have the knowledge of the elected. Here we are, taking a big loss on house values, the BOE has serious problems with budgets, county employees being furloughed, gas way up, people losing their homes and others just trying to keep theirs. So, the thing to do, is to want to spend $1,650 million (about) on a trail with a tunnel. Now everyone knows what the word "about" means. Add to that an over-ride cost factor of 10 percent or another $165,000 and you come up with a far better cost, IF it is done today in today's money. Looks as if we are going into the TUNNEL BUSINESS. All you drivers and walkers that pass by the turn-around, how many people have you ever seen walking toward or even using the tunnel. Since its opening, I haven't seen a single person using it. Good way to spend our tax dollars. In today's climate, people do not walk, they ride in cars to go somewhere. But again, we the average do not enjoy using the check books as well as others."

"Yesterday, May 20, I attended church. The singing was very nice, the pastor gave a heartfelt message and a little (girl) gave gave her life to Christ and will soon be baptized. However, not one time did I hear anyone express a bad opinion about the Covington Police Department, a unit that leaves their home and family on Sunday and other days as well to protect us."

Comments

John 1 year, 11 months ago

I might have an explanation why one never sees anyone walking through the tunnel on Turner Lake - "It also includes a side walk to nowhere". Take a look next time and enlighten me where the end of that side walk will connect some day.

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 11 months ago

AMEN we have got to  get rid  of Johnson AND Turner on the school board

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

Since the clerk of court will not answer this paper's request of how the passport adminnistration fees were used, i feel an obligation to ask the IRS to investigate to insure taxes were paid on any monies that might have been kept by the clerk. I have penned a letter to the Atlanta IRS office with copies of this story. Everything may be right but they have the power to look into this to insure tax is being paid by government officials the same as we do.

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

If you wish to get the IRS to check and make sure all tax was paid on administration fees for passport fees from the clerk of court you can write them at IRS Fresno California 93888

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 11 months ago

I love this comment from the paper.  My God, How stupid can a person get. I think the world can now see the problem with the Newton County school system. As a manager i was always told that if it got to hot in the kitchen to get out. The good property owers who pay taxes to run this school system deserve better, If anyone should be suing it ought to be the property owners who deserve better from the school administrators than i see here. I was going to vote for Mrs Lindsey but not now. Anyone who would take a stupid case such as this doesn't deserve a vote. Not only will my family not vote for her but i will actively encourage others not to.I'm sure the lawyers for the Newton Citizen will not turn over nothing they don't have to. How in the world can they teach our children at Alcovy about freedom of speech than go file a stupid lawsuit like this? I hope there is a judge in the Alcovy Judicial system who will uphold the laws on filing a fivorous lawsuit against this person.This will look so bad on Newton County when it hits the Atlanta TV market, but it will look even worse on the one filing this suit. Kudos to the people who exercise their freedom of speech by making comments. Kudos to this paper for allowing the normal citizens a venue for doing so. If your names do come out i will chip in, as i know others will to help you defend these stupid false charges. People, Newton County is going down the toilet unless we join together to get decent, caring people into elective office who will only hire good, decent, intelligent people to run our school system and county offices. I am tired of seeing newton county in the Atlanta news, most every night in a negative way. Freedom of speech is a constitutional right that we can not give up short oif the US supreme court

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

This is the reason i am appealing my tax this year. Normally i would not but with a school system that would condon a principle suing taxpayers this is the least i can do. For you who would say i should support the school system i would say - the school system should support the taxpayers by demanding that this stupid lawsuit, that is making this county and this school system look so bad, be dropped or at least take action to enforce their rules against husband and wife working together. Every taxpayer should appeal their tax just to make a stand against this poor management

Beautifulblueeyes 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey ya'll I found this and it is great:  First, fellow "defendants," congratulations! We must have really struck a nerve with our comments if, from among the hundreds posted, ours were selected as "defamatory." Had I known I was going to be quoted in a lawsuit, I would have paid closer attention to grammar and spelling. Also, I'd like to apologize for what feels like a very lame pseudonym compared to yours. Again, had I known I was going to be named in court and the press, I would have gone for something with more panache like amp72 and satan69. Well played, fellow defendants. Well played.

Second, Newton Citizen, I wonder if you will continue to protect the identities of "LaQuanda's Eleven" who felt secure in making comments in this forum because of the level of anonymity we are granted. What role does your moderator play in this last ditch effort to help land one person a judgeship and another a high paying job out of state? This will be very interesting to watch unfold.

Third, every fiber of my being wants to come forward, Dr. Carpenter, because I don't have it in me to remain anonymous. However, you should have to work for it, for something at least. If you won't or are unable to work in the capacity as a high school principal for which my tax dollars pay and which opens you to the criticism of your peers and public, then at least you can work to uncover the identity of the 11 people you have accused of defaming your name. And I have to ask- is this why you've been off campus so much this week? You've been filing a laughable lawsuit? That's certainly one way to prove your worth as a principal. Can you seriously wonder why the public takes to a forum to express displeasure with your job performance when you are rarely seen on campus and have now further impugned your name with what amounts to tattling?

Fourth, the burden of proof is on you here and, goodness knows, I'm no lawyer, BUT I'm confident I can prove that my statements are true. I called you unqualified and I stated that you mismanaged AHS. In my opinion (I still get to have those, yes?), you are unqualified. You have no experience in running a high school and it shows. The person who hired you may have deemed you qualified, but I do not. And I get to think that. And I get to share that with others here and elsewhere without fear of persecution because free speech. I also stated that you mismanaged the school. Under your "leadership," AHS has dropped to the lowest graduation rate in the county. That's just a fact.

Calisweetheart 1 year, 11 months ago

These comments about LaQuanda Brown Carpenter aka Quan are all true.  Why do we have a school board that acts this way.  I hope both incumbents LOSE BAD in the primary (Turner) and in the fall election (Johnson).

JoanD 1 year, 11 months ago

This is from Alcovy High School where LaQuanda Brown Carpenter is leader (joke): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pbugFI-BSQI

KimberlyD 1 year, 11 months ago

Puhlease....that's not a fight....guess the schools are softer than what I thought...Should've went to Newton fro 92-98...Those were some EPIC fights. Fighting in the halls is just asking to get caught!! All those girls did was roll around in the floor!! Pffft !! I've seen cats have better play fights then that !!

Littlemissmuffett 1 year, 11 months ago

This poster is right  -the race thing is killing Alcovy.  Every counselor at AHS is black.  Where do white kids go if they feel outnumbered?  And rumor has it the new asst princ replacementss are majority black.  I guess the old BOE has just written the school off as a dumping ground.

Grandcanyon 1 year, 10 months ago

Rumor has it that two names were planted to use as bait for the law suit. This woman is playing with the court system by using bait names and then dropping them from the suit. This seems very fishy to me. Any comments about this?

Grandcanyon 1 year, 10 months ago

Well look here Newton taxpayers Carpenter talks race race race - oh but wait - we see that at his wife's school - take a look at the entire counseling department some of who were NOT the choice of the committee - and notice who else you will  find here KEITH L BROWN whose horrible book was bought at 20.00 a pop for every Alcovy High teacher who wondered WTF???  Where did that money come from and just how good a friends are these two - sort of like LEAD LEARNERS LLC?   http://ceps.georgiasouthern.edu/conted/YARprogram2011WEB.pdf   I guess this is called working on the work:  UNDERSTANDING AND INFLUENCING YOUR SCHOOL’S CULTURE: THE RESEARCH AND WHAT IT TAKES!

FEATURED SPEAKER: Dennis Carpenter, Deputy Superintendent, Newton County Schools, Founder and Lead Consultant, LeaderLearners, LLC, Covington, GA

In this session, the presenter will provide an overview of two pieces of profound research related to transforming school culture and maximizing organizational effectiveness/achievement through challenging employees. In addition to understanding this research, that impacts all organizations, attendees will be exposed to some very practical strategies that will allow them to shape the culture of their schools/organizations and ultimately get results for students! This is a very focused presentation for education practitioners who are focused on results; yet understand the critical need to influence the human dynamics constantly working within the subculture of their organization.

Satan69 1 year, 10 months ago

So with Lead Learners and Grand Canyon and all of these superintendent dead end searches how much of this are we paying for as taxpayers is this why NCCA failed to open on time?  http://www.gcu.edu/facultyadjunct-bio.php?fid=CD6765B6-2656-E011-9C88-E41F13687790

HonestAbe 1 year, 10 months ago

This whole suit is beginning to look fishey to me. Does anyone know what civic organization that the tree judges are in with the Carpenters? I just can't believe that this many judges would put themselves in a position where they can't try a case. Then Mrs Lindsey, by running for judge has fixed it so that the fourth judge ( judge Ott ) can't hear the case. She has a conflict of interest in this, so why doesn't she turn the case over to another lawyer? As i said many times, i believe this is a witch hunt. I also believe that Mrs Lindsey is trying to make a name for herself by taking this case. I also believe, and have every right to say so, that there are members of either the school board or school adminstration who have been involved in this from the start. There is no better way to get your name in the paper, as a candidate then to be a lawyer in this case. I mean look at her facebook. The last time i looked a few days ago she had only 39 likes. You want win an election with only 39 likes.

Iknowddatsright 1 year, 10 months ago

Honest Abe here is what you need to know Kiwanis club.

newtoncountyparent 1 year, 10 months ago

I am not posting on the AJC blogs under the name "Newton County Parent." Whomever is doing this, please stop. While I don't have the name trademarked, you must know that people will think we are the same person. I can't imagine why you would use the moniker unless you want people to think this.