17-year-old faces vehicular homicide charges in death of Covington woman

COVINGTON -- A 17-year-old Oxford woman has been charged in connection with the Jan. 28 crash on Cook Road that took the life of a 56-year-old woman, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

McKenzie Farrow Crowe, of 843 Cornish Mountain Road, Oxford, turned herself in to the Newton County Detention Center Thursday and was released the same day on $23,000 bond, according to an NCSO spokesman. Crowe faces charges of homicide by motor vehicle, DUI and failure to maintain lane.

The crash occurred around 2:48 a.m. near the intersection of Cook and Sockwell roads. Alison Bell of Covington was killed in the accident.

"The crash was a head-on collision between a 2003 Ford Ranger that crossed the centerline and hit a 2002 Ford Explorer," GSP spokesman Gordy Wright said at the time of the incident.

Crowe, an Eastside High School senior, was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta for treatment following the crash.

Alcohol was suspected to be a factor in the crash and charges have been pending against Crowe, awaiting results of the investigation from the GSP Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team.

Comments

KimberlyD 2 years, 6 months ago

It's convenient that she was allowed to finish out the school year before she was charged. In accordance to school code she wasn't supposed to be able to go back.

sweetpotato 2 years, 6 months ago

Kimberly, what was she supposed to do sit at home waiting to see if she was going to be charged? In the real world (not TV) fatal accidents are investigated in depth and drug alcohol screens would have been done on both drivers. The GBI Crime Lab is not sitting there drumming their fingers on a desk waiting to test blood samples from Newton Co. I happen to have personal knowledge that the State Crime lab is very slow due to lack of personnel and budget cuts. Its not unusual some months have passed between the incident and formal charges. Nobody said the wheels of justice are fast, they may be on TV! but not in real life.

deathtotaxes 2 years, 6 months ago

Sweetpotato-who said anything about TV?

sweetpotato 2 years, 6 months ago

sorry I thought you would get the connection.....KimberlyD implies that there was some obvious delay in formal charges being filed on the driver. The public in general has no clue as to how quick or slow things in prosecution or investigations take. The emphasis is and should be on a complete and detailed investigation if that takes some time, so be it. I just get aggravated when people talk about things they dont know about and implying that everything is a conspiracy ! ...........wait deathtotaxes Im reading your mind......- who said anything about conspiracy? who said anything about conspiracy on TV ????

jdoe28464 2 years, 6 months ago

Quit being selective about comments and post mine. Freedom of speech!

CORNBREAD 2 years, 6 months ago

We still go back to where did this under age girl get alcohol from, I hope the investigation isn't over. Some one else is also at fault. The adult that furnished the alcohol.

Jadehollow 2 years, 6 months ago

Sweetpotato .. In response to your remark "what was she suppose to do sit at home and wait to be charged" At least that option was available to her unlike Ms Bell. This whole situation is horrible .. In my opinion I do believe It took way to long for charges to be filed against Ms Crowe.. And to many it does appear a bit fishy that the charges came 4 months after the fact on the very last day Ms Crowe finishes school.

KimberlyD 2 years, 6 months ago

sweetpotato, I've tried to respond two times...the paper has yet to "approve" my comments. I do not fault the GBI lab at all. I know these things take time!! But, I think she should have had to graduate from jail instead of with law-abiding student. Other students that were attending the party were expelled. She did way worse and was allowed to graduate!! It's just "odd" that she was arrested the day after graduation. I just don't believe that out of all 365 days in the year that was the day that her alcohol results "happened" to get back after graduation. I think honestly that maybe they were back a week or even a month earlier and the warrant was possibly withheld or put on the bottom of the pile until after graduation. deathtotaxes, thanks for sticking up for me ;) I apologize sincerely if my comment implied I was complaining that the GBI took too long!! To me, she should have set in jail until the blood work came back...she was not even arrested until last week!! Anyone else in a DUI, would have been locked up immediately!!

will 2 years, 6 months ago

This criminal should do some serious jail time, its sad that she made a poor choice to drive and ended up killing this lady but she made the choice to drive. The party she attended should be fully investigated also and the person that provided or sold the alcohol to her should be charged with the same crime. Pray for this child.

KimberlyD 2 years, 3 months ago

What's ironic is the police just locked up this past week 2 under age DUI'ERS that were one car accidents and didn't hurt anyone but themselves...