Letter: Free speech must be defended

Since my recent letter to the editor appeared in both Newton area papers I have received many calls thanking me for speaking out. I did so as a result of the editorial in one paper. I also received a call from the plaintiff in the case, LaQuanda Carpenter, who left a voice message for me. Many employees of Alcovy High have told me that once their transfers are complete and after the school year ends they will share more openly. Please do so.

I took a bold step. Ms. Carpenter stated she would see me in court, but it is my hope that free speech and freedom of the press rule against her attacks meant to direct attention away from serious problems in a high school.

Attacking free speech and public leaders, former teachers, and me as a parent who chose to pull my daughter out of NCSS in 2011 after one board member told me I was being "dramatic" over a serious case of school bullying that year is wrong.

I pray that our constitutional right to free speech is upheld and that the Newton Citizen prevails in its fight for freedom of the press and free speech.

If Alcovy High School did not have the lowest rate of graduation in the county and below the state, then no one would complain. I am unafraid to face Ms. Carpenter in court. I will never name a source of information for me as many are employees, but I will share enough to show the judge enough to investigate evidence of wrongdoing, down to the names of the people in the room when her comments were made, as well as share other evidence.

I no longer have to hide behind MsLoy and KBeet. I am yours truly,

-- Shannon L. Black

Conyers

Comments

OnToday 2 years, 4 months ago

She crossed a very clear boundary when she contacted you and said she would see you in court. Beyond being rude and immature, that is incredibly unprofessional. Ridiculous.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank you Mrs. Black for taking a stand.  She has attacked the teacher who came forward.  She attacks teachers who leave and follows them with bad or no references so they have to go to elected officials for references.  Any judge that allows this suit to go forward should NEVER be reelected.

CBSfinder 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Miss Black for supporting free speech.  You are the hero of many of us.  Get the word out and have them dig in to all of Dennis Carpenter's hirings from Burke County, created positions, hiring of nephew, friends out of Clayton.  If you look at poor leaders across the county you will find that they have him in common.  Newton paper please elaborate on the Bruce MCcolum situation and the Lead Learner LLC situation and what is the deal with the alleged false state reports filed when he was past president for Kiwanis?

ontomorrow 2 years, 4 months ago

It is my opinion that LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School has shown exactly why no Judge should allow any IDs to be made public.  She has called people, slandered people she suspects, coerced students and attacked teachers out of her paranoia.  If all of this energy had been put into our students then her leadership or LACK THEREOF would not have driven a once fine school into the ground.  Huge police records at this schools, tasers, food fights, breaking into cars, behavior overlooked in the woods, awful language every time I walk in there, cursing at teachers not punished, majority of students failed math tests, low grad rates, performance below state and you call this leadership.    Bring Bill Kruskamp back.  Bring Dave Easterday back.   Anyone but her.

Unstableone 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank you MS BLACK for digging deep and talking with me.  Many of us are concerned with the allegations LaQuanda Brown Carpenter is making in the community as well as her attorney who will never be judge - we are making sure of that.   She is slandering invididuals and thank you for letting me know they are about to take action against her.  I feel good now.  I am sending more employees your way this weekend when we are finished for good with the school year.  PLease get this information out there since the system seems to be overlooking the demise of our school.

Calisweetheart 2 years, 4 months ago

1.  Does the school system have a policy on higher leadership positions dating, marrying, and if not why not?  What are there plans to keep this from happening again?   2.  Is it true that the former principal of Newton High and the current dep supt of Operations owned a business together Lead Learners LLC while one oversaw HR for the other?  Does this represent a conflict of interest?   3.  Tips were sent to the superintendent about the topics of alcohol in the news at Alcovy.  Has there been a follow up investigation on any of the public concerns and have any tips been sent in that have had follow up and what results if any can you share to help us improve the schools we pay for?   4.  Does the board have plans to institute a nepotism policy?   5.  Will the board work with local Senate and House legislators to create a bill to prevent the type of HR  conflicts of interest in school systems statewide?   6.  How many teachers and staff have left Alcovy High since 2009 and what is the plan for filling the "brain drain"?   7.  Have club sponsors at Alcovy High been interviewed and have results led to any revelations about claims?   8.  When teachers and other employees have advised the board of what they have known to be true per conflicts of interest in hiring why has the board not acted on these concerns?   9.  What plans does the school system have to raise graduation rates and achievement levels at Alcovy High, a school we are all paying for?  10.  Why has the school system allowed the plaintiff's attorney to use school grounds and school time to pursue her lawsuit and why has the plaintiff used school time to discuss her lawsuit with the other news outlet?

ShannonBlack 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree on today but I'm not the first and probably won't be the last. When things start falling a part and things aren't falling into place what do you do? All I am saying is yea there was a boundary crossed but if more people would let someone know about these harrasments on them it would make for an easier quash to happen. I am not the only target and I don't want anyone thinking that I am. I will however stand up for what's right and I will do whatever it takes to uphold the first amendment no one had said or done anything to ruin anything for this woman, or threatened her or even tried to get her fired. The people find it sill and a waste of time to put a law suit based on opinion.

I hope the court system does what's right and upholds the first amendment. I'm sure everything will be fine. She I now working on pure anger based on this law suit not going to plan. Only time will tell. Until then let's do what we can to make this case go away.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree Shannon and also with on today, this silly law suit has turned into a wild goose chase. It's like they are running around saying who are we going to blame, who is next lets try to harass everyone we can and then get them scared enough to come forward or just move to another state. This is a sick and twisted mind game of spite. The thing is they never expected a backfire and retalliation of this magnitude and now they don't know what to do. It is very much a shame when bounderies are crossed and people get bullied by so called adults, is it going to take someone getting hurt before they realize these people are out for blood?

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 4 months ago

Please go to Facebook and FRIEND Shannon Black and show your support. We support WOMEN AGAINST STEPHANIE LINDSEY

amp72 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm due to give you a call tonight Shannon. I have a feeling we have A LOT to discuss. And I have a feeling it's going to get very ugly for some people very soon. To file a lawsuit and then call people and threaten/intimidate/harass them is a new low. IN MY OPINION.

JudgeA 2 years, 4 months ago

I think that you need to be commended for upholding the first amendment, you need to continue doing what your doing it shows dedication and that people don't need to be afraid to stand up for what they believe in. You show true courage Ms Black and I appreciate eveything that you are doing. I think this law suit is silly and a waste of taxpayers money. I have family members that attend AHS and they hate it because of the favortism and lack of help and the Admin acting like they could careless. However I will give you a call if you ever need anything you can come to me. THanks for all you do. If you need a character witness I'm all yours.

Thanks Judge A

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

Amp you are so right that that it is an all time low. I'm hoping that all the madness stops soon. It is very sad that someone who thinks they have power think they can intimidate and scare people into telling the truth what a shame. You know it just could had been looked at as a turning point like ok let me see what I'm doing wrong and let's work on it. We all just gave simple opinion to the situation going on at Alcovy but some of us are parents do we have stronger opinions but we all have a legit reason. Sometimes the truth hurts but that doesn't mean come sue me over my opinion. I just don't understand it.

Unstableone 2 years, 4 months ago

We LOVE MRS. BLACK.  GO MRS. BLACK.  We will be calling you - have your number and thanks.  PLEASE get the facts out of what we share since she does not employ you.  We want to vomit every time we see her and see her husband at our school.

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 4 months ago

Carpenter:  Your school performs lower than any high school in the county.  Your math scores and remediation are the PITS.  Leave.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

Here I am up until the wee hours mrs Lindsay and I will be putting my best foot forward

CBSfinder 2 years, 3 months ago

Amp it was nice chatting - keep the tips coming - i  am improving NCSS

Henrycounselor 2 years, 3 months ago

why did so many students at Alcovy High fail the Math EOCTs - why were there violations of test protocol at Alcovy in 2011 that got reported to the state DOE and LaQuentria used this to non renew teachers - isn't the new principal at Liberty Middle one of Dennis Carpenter's minions who was non-renewed in the past in another county?

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 3 months ago

PUMP UP THE AMP. AMP we are contacting metro media. Peeps we need to contact FOX, CNN, FOX 5 was at Newton High last week so let's get them here and MSNBC. Let's put her on the national media map for attacking FREE SPEECH. Neal Boortz too at WSB

JoanD 2 years, 3 months ago

Did ya'll see this.  I've read all these post. After this event, where the principal is choosing litigation, I went back to previous articles that I could find concerning negative press and AHS. I read for myself each piece and the comments. Not one comment / blog deemed a firing offense. Reallllllyyyy??? Is that a school or Russia????? In my profession, if there was enough complaints coming from clients, the CEO would come unannounced and go through our company starting at the management level and find out what is going on. Sounds to me like that Matthews guy needs to do some checking on a lottttttttt of stuff

ontomorrow 2 years, 3 months ago

So sad this parent has to pay because thugs lead and run Alcovy High.  Well well i had to make a decision to put my son in a private school because he refused to go to Alcovy! As a single parent it is hard to pay for school but i did it anyway. I was in doubt about it at first but since the start of the school year i get contacted about once a week from friends of mine wanting information about the private school! Just look at the attendance drop rate since the beginning of the school year, it will confirm everything. Each day i hear more and more negativity about Alcovy and it is sad. As a tax paying citizen it does make me mad that i cannot send my kid to a public school because of lack of leadership! I am proud to say that my son is still an honor roll student and learns more and he loves the school because of the discipline is strict and he actually learns! Dr. Matthews you need to step up and recongnize! So blessed that my son does not attend Alcovy!!!!

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey Public, look what's public.  Why did this happen?  How much more is happening?  Is this a piece of the puzzle?  Think so.   GA Sec of State site (look who was in biz together while one supervised one's HR and budget):  http://corp.sos.state.ga.us/corp/soskb/corp.asp?1531560   BOE policy:  http://newtoncountyschools.org/board/ncss-policy-gag-staff_conflict_interest.asp

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 3 months ago

Dear Ms. Black I want to just say I'm sorry for why you are going through with these people it is a shame but I have to agree with Judge A you should be commended and don't back down you are doing a hell of a job keep up the good work I will call you later this week and if you need anything just let me know.

Thank for everything you have done and are doing

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 3 months ago

Indo find humor in the fact that people think they are untouchable to a degree. However you know that shows the level of intelligence of some. Which is none. What i still can't grasp is why would someone file a law suit then attack everyone Involved then call the defendant and my goodness I just don't understand. So I want to give a special thanks to Ms black for doing what you are doing. I know things aren't easy right now but your doing a fine job. Thank you!!!!!

carefulshawty 2 years, 3 months ago

So word around the water cooler is something is going down tonight or tomorrow. So I hear my sources tell me that a lot of things will be cleared up and maybe this he said she said will stop and we will have it straight once and for all.

Personalsavior 2 years, 3 months ago

So who is around the water cooler because that seems a little personal to me. Whats going down tonight or tomorrow? There is nothing to get straight except this law suit has gotten very out of control and it needs to stop and all these phone calls and threats need to stop as well. There is no reason to be childish and immature about any of this just see that there is nothing to it and move on. I think you need to get a grip "shawty" or come right out and say what is going down. In my opinion that should have never been said on here. But it is ok. everyone needs to voice an opinion.

Grandcanyon 2 years, 3 months ago

So after reading all these comments I think that what is bringing this board down is gas. And it is very unstable gas at that. Your honor the gas was horrible and that's forced me to the boards and the gas at prison is pretty bad as well that's what made people unstable on the board is the fumes.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

Ok grandcanyon really ? The gas has made everyone unstable that is funny. I have no idea what has everybody so on edge cause all this fighting and suer people wanting to call and threaten people its enough to give anybody gas. Oh my where is the gas ex ? I still want to know whats going down? Tonight or tomorrow? Is it a bonfire to burn all the Lindsay signs? Oh wait I have already been accused of that. So I wonder what is going to happen to night or tomorrow?

carefulshawty 2 years, 3 months ago

So you all are so fascinated by whats happening all I will say is sit back and enjoy the show. It will be a hit literally. Im sure everybody will love it.

CBSfinder 2 years, 3 months ago

Who ever us leaking information about certain things needs to stop it is making the situation worse then it is. Do certain someone's not know what confidential Means? It means quiet don't talk and make it worse which your so nicely doing now. Trust me when I say this isn't going to end quietly because it won't. Has anybody thought maybe there is some truth to the water cooler?

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

Ms black is it true what happened last night or it just a rumor cause the way everybody is talking it sounds pretty concrete. Please let me know. I just can't even believe it. Really sometimes I really wonder if people are adult or somewhat child like. All over opinion. Wow this takes the cake. I have never. Keep me posted please!!!!!

Henrycounselor 2 years, 3 months ago

So was the water cooler an accusation for something else because that's what I thought when I first read it but sometimes things are confusing. I'm going to say I think. This whole suit is out of control and insane. All over comments of opinion then you have some extremest who think they have something to prove. Where exactly is the legal system and where do we fit in the picture? I'm hoping the rumor isn't true. I'm sure if it is ms black will clear it up today for us. Free speech and attacking the first amendment is what we were focusing on not threatening people. Let's start being adult. I never thought I would see the day we had to defend opinion what a sad world we live in.

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 3 months ago

I cannot believe what I just heard. This just makes me want to run for some kind of legal counsel. It's ok because it will all surface soon and it will be a bad day when it does. I'm in shock!!!!! WOW

Unstableone 2 years, 3 months ago

So ms black have you figured out who your big mouth is yet? Cause this sounds not to good at the moment. Keep me posted well all of us for that matter.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

Well I'm not sure what exactly is going on but it doesn't sound good. All of these cryptic comments about this and that.... Don't know about the rest of you but I'm pretty sick and tired of all of this. Alleged threats, harassment, etc. And through it all the most important thing is being forgotten- the students. Shameful.

OnToday 2 years, 3 months ago

So where is this stuff that was supposedly happening "around the water cooler?" Anyone? carefulshawty, what say you?

Shannonofmanycolors 2 years, 3 months ago

This is reguarding Quan adding Mr meadors to the law suit. Anytime you fight corruption you will be attcked from every side. They want nothing more then for you to leave the board please don't leave give them what they want.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

So since recent events I have been labeled as working for the Board member who they are calling the man of many names and I must clear something up I do not work for him nor is he I. I'm very upset that someone would give him credit for my work. I put a lot of time and effort into these comments and I want the credit. Leave the man alone I am SATAN.

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 3 months ago

So after reading a recent article that a BOE member is all these names I don't know what to think. I am not a man and im not a board member and I take credit full responsiblilty for what I have said and done which was nothing more then a matter of opinion. I can't help people don't like what they see and all I can say is don't read it if it bothers you. Leave Mr Meadors alone he has done nothing and all these allegations are false. The beauty of the first amendment is that Im aloud to make comments under what ever name I so choose. Search the Ip address and I promise you that would be made a fool out of . Then what would happpen? I hope an apology. Stop the accusations people cause your wrong.

MsLoy 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a real big problem today Im very upset that after I have come out and said my name is Shannon Black that everyone has placed blame on an innocent person. Don't try to ruin a mans career there is no reason for it. I beginning to think that you think Shannon is an alias too. Well it isn't but you all know that right? I don't work for anyone on the board or Gpc for that matter. I think that this has gotten a little out of control. Opinion is opinion if your looking for something else it isn't there anything. I will never reveal my sources because I don't have too. I will protect anyone and everyone that I have made clear. Im sorry right is right and wrong is wrong . In this case you all are wrong. Look into it further before making judgement.

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 3 months ago

What is going on here people? Really now we are going to blame the board member that actually cares about whats happens to the school and the students? This is all I have ever seen that now you cant voice an opinion or write a newspaper article anymore and just because there is difference in opinion then we go after the guy who wants change and wants to the right thing. Im sorry people but this is just wrong and dirty politics. If someone has come forward and has said hey I am whom ever let it rest and leave this guy alone please. I completly disagree with this and it makes the county look bad by continuing to look for things thats aren't there.

KBeet 2 years, 3 months ago

OK this has gone far enough I for the last time am Shannon Black who are Kbeet and MsLoy. I am responsible for the comments I made and posted. Shannon Black is not an Alias i am a real person . I wish everyone would get this right. There is nothing more annoying then to place blame on someone else that hasn't done a thing wrong except his job now whether you all get along or don't disagree or don't I have no idea and it is none of my buisness. Do not blame my actions on an innocent party thats not right at all. NOt when it comes to people's careers and what they believe in.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

Well to hear everyone tell it I work for mr meadors as well as the last time I checked I worked in the mental health profession. Oh maybe that's why I'm unstable. However I have no ties to the man I don't even know him except through his articles so what does that tell you? I think you need to evaluate before placing blame to make a law suit look better. What better way to catch the eye of the public then making a BOE member look bad. I mean nothing catches the eye more then an unstable board member. Well dig deeper people got the wrong one again.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 3 months ago

I just read through the Amended complaint and this attorney must have bad gas. I don't know how she thinks one person could do all of this and furthermore I read through each of his columns and they say nothing about these people. What is going on with the court system they must all have gas. And by the way this is not an oral charge from anyone.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 3 months ago

I know I'm ms black I pintched myself and I am real. I have done good work and I take credit for my work and just to make sure I'm real pinched myself again.

CBSfinder 2 years, 3 months ago

Newton county is in the biggest mess the only way to save it is vote out all incumbents.  We have city council filling ethics charges against their own.  Rogue attorneys and principals slandering a bd member we elected and another bd member has to be behind it as he started the illegal meeting.  A BOC chair teasing the public over her filing suit about county manager what a huge mess.  Clear all of em out and see is 2013 can get better.  The Alcovy place needs a full flush cleaning.  No one gave me any oral charges to say nothin and people have 1st ammend rights you crazies and now get the FCC on the Alcovy call they tried to block.

Iknowddatsright 2 years, 3 months ago

This is so ridiculous that mr meadors is being blamesd for being all these alias but what is funny is he isn't ms black has already come forward so why place blame on an innocent man. This is just so much to take in. Keep your head up mr meadors and they will be the fools in the game.

Iknowddatsright 2 years, 3 months ago

and why is a principal abusing our court system for personal drama - no libel at all woman just opinion get out of the kitchen if the heat is high cause the math  scores suck

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

Hello my name is Satan and I'm a blogger on the newton citizen web site. My identity unknown but I am not and will never be a man I'm not employed but the NCSS and I'm not Jeff Meadors or an employee or assistant of him. I don't know the man only by newspaper articles and BOE meetings. I find this very strange that now this lawsuit has turned into a blame game and because of disagreement want to ruin a mans career cause he isn't afraid to speak out!!!! Wow. So who am I really? No one knows just another ticked off parent of the school system that is who. Get it right.

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 3 months ago

This is an oral charge how do the news paper article attack These people they don't even mention their names. Sounds like the same board member that attacked him for writing earlier this year. Somebody needs to fork out some money and do an open records search on these people. This an oral charge. And by the way I know Satan and they don't even live in newton county, Satan is my peep. How ever Satan is friends with someone in central office. This is getting boring. I want more dead cows, where's the beef ?

MsLoy 2 years, 3 months ago

You all know by now I am a woman j have made that clear. I am ms black j have a Facebook page I am offended that this attorney would think I had someone create this profile for me I can do that on my own. I'm a wee bit smarter then that. I'm up at the crack putting my best foot forward. Now friend me on fb and that is an oral charge and by the way Steph I don't take oral charges from anyone

Calisweetheart 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope he counter sues these people it would serve them right.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

I read the court documents and have read all the articles on this, and judging by the time it took to piece all of this together (which they clearly did erroneously) and judging by all the dot connecting they are trying to do, it is evident that these people have spent a great deal of time..... better yet WASTED a great deal of time....on this and I can only assume it was during school hours and using county resources. That is a clear violation of several professional standards and a violation of county rules. The article in the other paper even says they were forced to divert resources to address these allegations. No one "forced" you to do anything! Mr. Meadors did post comments.... UNDER HIS OWN NAME! Someone apparently is blinded by paranoia and anger and can't see the forest for the trees. But true to form, when certain people feel like they are being attacked they attack right back. Grow up and do your jobs!

Shannonofmanycolors 2 years, 3 months ago

Amp you are right on.  The plaintiff left her high school early the day she sat down with the Covington News when she met with them and she and her attorney and husband held the super in a meeting where they argued YOU are being held responsible for husbands safety and blah blah blah they called her an ambulance chaser when she left but it gave good cause to thro him out of the closed meetings where none of us thought be belonged from our perch the attorney has been at the central office more than once lately and we have no idea who'is suit this is now anymore drag us down is all but compnay time is used yes ma'm

Shannonofmanycolors 2 years, 3 months ago

What would they do if they found out that a threatening phone call came from a place of employment. How would tat change the lawsuit.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

LAQUANDA needs to think about who she trusts at her building. There is a whole lot of garbage that will come out. Just when you thought it was safe to walk through the halls. I wonder if laquanda is related to guy with dreds.

Unstableone 2 years, 3 months ago

You know people I don't care who is who or who blogged about what. Why doesnt she just sue the Senator for creating SB 84 which makes nepotism illegal for board members we need to make it work for others - who hires like this?

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 3 months ago

I dont care if Satan, the Lord, Jeff, Sue, Fran or Mary Louise Poophead posted or blogged. I see no threats no intimidation and no name calling just comments on failure of leaders who we PAY FOR woman. GO away shameful person

AmazedByStupidity 2 years, 3 months ago

I just read the amended complaint.

SOMEBODY needs to lay off the chronic, because SOMEBODY is seriously paranoid, and bereft of common sense.

To implicate that Jeff Meadors, and ONLY Jeff Meadors has the ability to formulate opinions and use anonymous postings, or has the time on his hands to either create several user names, or recruit other individuals to post content that is creatively false....well, puff, puff, pass....

Either that, or the worm got into the kool-aid.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

This suit is an attack on anyone who disagrees or expresses an opinion. No where is this woman called vulgar names. No where is this woman threatened but we know threats have gone to one defendant - more on that after June 19th pending on what happens. We know evidence of this which will ruin her. RUIN.

Funbags78 2 years, 3 months ago

i can tell Steph Lindsey wannabe judge one thing i got none of my beautiful comments from information a bd member would only know - there are leaks to alcovy high like no tomorrow and ON TOMORROW too

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 3 months ago

i am hearing now that threats have beent traced back to alcovy high on may 23rd and blocks were traced they made to try to hide

ontomorrow 2 years, 3 months ago

I say u also comment that lindsey is a fool to think my comments came from a boe member when I have insiders who share walls with L Carpenter I get good scoop and have all year

Teedoffparent 2 years, 3 months ago

and why is a principal abusing our court system for personal drama - no libel at all woman just opinion get out of the kitchen if the heat is high cause the math scores suck

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

This is only forcing others to come forward, including Jeff Meadors and teachers and administrators who have been wronged in the past. That's a good thing. Dennis and Laquanda are backed into a corner and they only thing they know to do is attack. So wrong, so unprofessional, so sad.

Yallneedprozac 2 years, 3 months ago

I have the evidence on the blocked calls and the blocks now where did they come from? That will come out if this goes any further .

Watermelonlover 2 years, 3 months ago

They must have caught on to the trace that came from her office because they are now using disposable phones. Can't wait until this comes out.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

I have heard if I pinche myself I can tell if I am real. What happened with Bruce mccullom

Covingtonian 2 years, 3 months ago

I for one do not beleve she contacted you. Much of what you claim is he said she said, where is the substantiation? Oh satan69 was with you when you purportedly recieved one of your calls, right. The name satan means something, spend some quality time and research it. My friend "Jesus Christ", called him the "Father of the Lie". Enough said.