Motions hearing on Carpenter lawsuit delayed

COVINGTON -- The motions hearing in connection with the lawsuit filed by LaQuanda Brown Carpenter against "John Doe" defendants she alleges have commented negatively about her on the Newton Citizen website has been rescheduled for June 19. The hearing was previously set for June 14, with Superior Court Judge Ken Wynne presiding.

However, Wynne has recused himself from the case, citing membership in the same local civic organization as the plaintiff and her husband, and it has been reassigned to Judge Eugene Benton.

Motions set to be heard at 9:30 a.m. in Superior Court include a motion by the Citizen to quash a subpoena seeking the names and information regarding the individuals who used pseudonyms to comment on the Newton Citizen website, as well as the plaintiff's motions to dismiss action against three of the defendants -- "GwinnettTransplant," "spddracer90" and "avidreader" -- originally named in the lawsuit.

Defendants who remain named in the lawsuit as "John Does" are "MsLoy," "bluedeyeddevil," "amp72," "newtoncountyparent," "Watermelonlover," "beautifulblueeyes," "Satan69," and "KBeet."

Carpenter alleges that comments posted on the website between Feb. 10 and April 19, 2012, are false, intended to expose her to "hatred, contempt and/or ridicule" and were made with reckless disregard for the truth.

The Citizen is fighting a subpoena from Carpenter's attorney seeking all information and documents sufficient to identify the names, addresses and telephone numbers associated with those named in the lawsuit, as well as documents reproducing the texts of the comments from Jan. 1, 2011, to present and all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records and application or registration forms related to those named.

Citizen attorney David Hudson, also the attorney for the Georgia Press Association, stated in his motion to quash that the request for documents is invalid because of the qualified privilege for journalists against disclosing the information.

Additionally, he argued that the comments cited in the lawsuit are writers' opinions or criticisms of Carpenter and privileged under the First Amendment.

Newton Citizen reporter Michelle Floyd contributed to this story.

Comments

Jugsapoppin 2 years, 4 months ago

I can't wait until the day when I open up the paper and not see the name carpenter. I wonder if it Kiwanis we all know that story.

ShannonBlack 2 years, 4 months ago

Quash the drama on June 19th. Take down your Lindsay she shall be not be judged.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 4 months ago

As I was driving today down 138 today I saw a billboard of Stephanie Lindsey and I thought how can I get that down. So me and my peeps decided how. Thoughts

Henrycounselor 2 years, 4 months ago

We don't need a judge that attacks free speech.

OnToday 2 years, 4 months ago

By filing a motion to dismiss some (the ones who identified themselves) but not all defendants she proves to the world that this is merely a witch hunt to find out who has the nerve to say "bad things" about her. This is not about damages or anything like that. The people who are being dismissed still wrote things about her. But she is willing to dismiss them because now she knows their identities. Shameful.

HonestAbe 2 years, 4 months ago

Only concern here is why it took him this long to recuse.

ontomorrow 2 years, 4 months ago

So tell me what really happened to those Stephanie Lindsay signs rumor has it someone stole them and set them in fire. Wow that's fighting actions

UGAFan 2 years, 4 months ago

I overheard some people talking about how those signs make great backers for holding targets at Charlie Elliot shooting range.

ShannonBlack 2 years, 4 months ago

You know what is a shame Ontoday? I gave my name too and they won't dismiss me whats up with that? It makes you wonder about that doesn't it? You are absolutely right to they did say things about her so whats up with that? Good point!!!!

OnToday 2 years, 4 months ago

I have heard Alcovy works the same way. Some teachers get in trouble, are sent to the principal's office, and all is forgiven and then others make one mistake and they are treated differently. That kind of inconsistency will get you in trouble.

CBSfinder 2 years, 4 months ago

This Carpenter situation needs to get resolved quickly because it is tearing the school system apart and damaging the credibility of a system that is already faltering. We have real problems with education in this county and this situation has become a divisive thorn that is keeping us from the job of educating children. The crux of this problem is, once they became involved, the school board should have insisted that one of them resign. That being said, it doesn't change the fact that there are serious problems at AHS that need to be addressed. Teachers and parents are frustrated and feel that they have no voice; if they follow the chain of command and go to Human Resources, they get no support because of the husband/wife connection. They feel their concerns can be voiced only through anonymous (comments) on the Internet and these do not foster constructive dialogue. However, these postings are a guaranteed right of freedom of speech under the Constitution and any attempt to curtail this right is unconstitutional and results in a totalitarian state. This suit is counter-productive and has led to all kinds of allegations. Please let cooler heads prevail and get this mess resolved so we can place our energy and resources on educating the children of Newton County.

Dr. Carpenter should be ashamed suing these people. They're just speaking their opinion. The teachers are frustrated with what they're going through. Not only have they had their salaries cut but they have to serve under an ineffective principal. The administration has not solved any of my problems this year. My children, who have no discipline record, have never been in trouble, have been bullied several times this year. When I complain and ask for the principal, I'm always referred to the assistant principal because Dr. Carpenter doesn't have time to attend to this matter. She's busy with other matters. She should have time to run her school and be a good principal. There are some really good teachers at Alcovy and my children have been fortunate to have some of them. I can see the frustration they're going through. They don't have anybody to back them up in the matters that are important that they need to be backed up in. I can also see there is not any discipline at Alcovy. All you have to do to find the truth is walk through the halls and be there when classes are changing ... there is trash all over the floors, filthy language, students laying all over each other ... I'm not stupid. When I go up there I see it with my own eyes. I don't have to have somebody tell me. I'm in that school quite a bit. We need an effective principal in our high school. Dr. Mathews, please do your job. You earn a very inflated salary, much more than any of our teachers will ever see who get out there and do the real work. Please, please help us get somebody who is an effective administrator before next year. The students are paying the price because people are not doing their jobs."

jwm1955 2 years, 4 months ago

The mayor of Peahtree City got sued for the remarks he made about the formor Mayor on a email now it is costing the tax payers in that city $10,000, we all should be careful of the remarks that we make about other people anywhere because slandering of somebody does cost money and will cause other problems.

Del 2 years, 4 months ago

@jwm1955.........The mayor of Peachtree City used City property to slander the former Mayor......Everyone that has mentioned LaQuinta has done it on their time and their dollar in an open forum.......Now.....if one of the posters had made a slanderous comment, say sitting at a lap top in the Central Office, that might be a problem.....just sayin

ShannonBlack 2 years, 4 months ago

Good afternoon school is out here is your daily update on Laquinta rumor has it that tempers are flaring down in tiger town . Teachers your last day is today send me your tips here is my number 678 315-4971. I'm keeping an eye tiger town over the summer.

Love Shannon Black

I will be back in the wee hrs putting my best foot forward.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

I have got your back Ms Black and no one messes with Satan I would really like to know about the emails coming out of Laquinta emails and those. Kawanis state reports.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep and she created a hostile climate for the Chorus teacher who is now gone -

ShannonBlack 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank you satan I do appreciate your support as I do everyones and I just want to say for the record that no matter what happens with this whole mess that I will stand my ground for free speech and that what is being done all the he said she said is just another attempt to smoke people out. I just don't see how comments made in a open forum that has a moderator go over each comment can even use those said comments for a law suit knowing that say one did slip through that was say slanderous or libel it would be the paper at fault just as much as the person writing it. However because they are careful with what does and does not post. So this to me is a waste of time and energy to spend this time and money on silly comments that are nothing more then opinion. I dont believe that it is bad to voice opinion however some dont want to hear the truth, maybe people should look at it as an improvement thing well if people think im not doing that well at my job maybe I should see what I can do to improve, not file a law suit.

ontomorrow 2 years, 4 months ago

There has been so much talk about this law suit I just dont know what to think anymore. It is all so wierd to me. There has been so much said people getting phone calls by the other parties I mean really? Who does that when they file a law suit? I just cannot comprehend what is going on. Maybe Ms Black has some information for us?

Unstableone 2 years, 4 months ago

All's I can say is really they call me "unstable" I just sit here and say nothing. I can't even believe all this chaos......

amp72 2 years, 4 months ago

So is it safe to assume that every teacher and administrator on websites like ratemyteacher.com can file a lawsuit to identify those people making comments about their job performances? Seems to me there is little difference between those comments and the ones here in the newspaper. In fact, the ones on the rating websites are MUCH worse. But you never hear about lawsuits. I still don't understand the inconsistency of dismissing some from the lawsuit while retaining others, even though they all logged comments. Seems unfair to me, but then again, consider the source.

HonestAbe 2 years, 4 months ago

Because she already knows the identify of the ones dismissed. This is about a with hunt and POWER.

cpatterson_22 2 years, 4 months ago

A lot of the comments about her have been removed from ratemyteacher.com

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

This is in my OPINION trash.  Trashy people involved in a trashy bog down of court papers and people.  A childish waste of time and a POOR example of leadership.  When they married they should have been reassigned, demoted or moved or one should have been forced to leave.  The very fact that she is contacting defendants and making false allegations in private and public is testament to the fact that if the ID's of anyone are revelaed she will treat them with contempt.  Get rid of her suit and get rid of her.