Newton Citizen Poll for May 13

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"All interested in reforming NCSS, email me at takenewtonschoolsback@ymail.com. It is time to go underground and organize. Also fill the board meeting room up next Tuesday night."

"Gun goes off at store -- Now we all know why Sheriff Andy Taylor made Deputy Barney Fife keep his bullet in his pocket! Way to go, Barney!"

"I just came through the four-way stop on (Highway) 81 and Crowell Road in Porterdale and saw the Newton County JROTC holding up cardboard signs asking for donations. Come on, people. All the money Newton County supposedly has and we can't afford to get them some plastic signs. I mean this is your next young Americans going to the forces to fight for this country."

"In response to the citizen who wrote in about their views on President Obama's religion and that of Islam, I must wonder what sort of Christian are you, yourself? Have you not heard that we must 'Love thy neighbor,' regardless of whether they are Christian or Gentile? That we are called to pray for those in authority, regardless of whether we voted for them or like them, or not? Because one is Muslim does not mean that we should condemn them; believe it or not, not all Muslims desire to strap bombs to their chest or kill innocent children. Rather, we should approach them with love, as we are called to do in order to spread God's word and everlasting love. How do you expect to share His word when you do nothing but speak hate against those God has called us to share testimony with? And I must ask, have you actually talked with someone devoted to the Muslim faith, or do you rely on news coverage to form your own opinions to categorize all Muslims under? And concerning the bit about this country being founded by 'God-fearing people,' this country was first colonized by entrepreneurs, and was later colonized by people of every background, from all over seeking for a better life. The Pilgrims were not the first Europeans to set foot upon American soil; yes, there was a significant group who sought to practice their beliefs, but do not be so misguided as to believe that all were Christians, or those who were Christian, but in name only. ... "

"In response to the letter in the 5/6/12 Poll: From what I read and hear, it is not the Muslims that are hell-bent to take our religious freedoms from us. It is the atheist/non-believers. Muslims are not the ones that are bringing the court cases against anything that smacks of religion in our schools, public displays, and even 'Merry CHRISTmas!' It is the non-believers that want to take away our pledge of allegiance and/or any form of prayer in public, and, unfortunately, the courts are siding with these people that want us to be a people 'free from religion,' rather than a people, as the writers of our Constitution intended, that we be a people with "freedom of religion." Can anyone explain how the courts can uphold what these people (atheist/non-believers) want, when their ideas are so directly contrary to what is written in our Constitution?"

"It's that time of the year again, well actually past it. I went and bought a nice bird feeder the other day to hang by our patio so we can enjoy our fine feathered friends. There must be some kind of beacon on the feeder because within a short period of time cats came out of the storm drain in front of our house and turned the bird feeder into a buffet bar. I have about had it with all of the cats that are running loose. If I have to keep my dog on a leash, the same should be true of the owners of cats. The owners of cats seem to think that you just let them run wherever and multiply like rabbits. Animal Control could care less about the problem. When you call it seems like you are trying to make an inconvenience for them because they would have to actually work. If I thought setting a catch and release trap was the answer, I would borrow one and set it, but that is not the answer. I don't know what will take care of the problem in the neighborhoods, but I do know, if they jump my fence again, I hope they said their goodbyes before they left home because my bird feeder is not a buffet bar. Chirp, chirp, chirp."

"Dictator Obama is at it again! Now he is resorting to intimidation. He is warning the Supreme Court to either rule in his favor or face severe consequences. The Obama Administration has been quietly sending messages to the Supreme Court threatening that if it does not rule in his favor on ObamaCare, Medicare will face disruption and chaos. So if SCOTUS rules in favor of the United States Constitution, Obama and Co. will begin its campaign to either destroy Medicare or make those on it suffer greatly. The Obama syndicate is said to be threatening to hold off Medicare payments to doctors and hospitals if SCOTUS does not comply with Obama's demands and submit to him. Fellow senior citizens and all true Americans, we cannot let this mad man stay in power for another term. Vote him out on Nov. 6, 2012. We must make this happen. It is a life or death choice for each American!"

"It is Thursday, May 10. I did not receive my Newton Citizen today. I called at 9:15 and reported it. It is now almost 11:45 and I still do not have it. Counting this time, I have had to call three times in the last four to six weeks. I always wait until 9 a.m. to call. The second time the carrier was running late and it was delivered about 10 minutes after I called. I enjoy reading the paper while I have breakfast and my coffee. When I subscribe I always add a tip for the carrier. Citizen, please check to see what is happening. I do not want to cancel my subscription because that makes it a no-win for the paper, carrier, or me. Thanks for checking on this and God Bless the USA."

Editor's note: We turned in your complaint to our circulation office despite your not leaving your name and address. Hopefully, they'll be able to figure out who you are and get your paper to you daily and on time. Keep reading.

"May 3 was National Prayer Day and the shape our country is in, I think every day should be Prayer Day."

Comments

John 2 years, 4 months ago

Young people wanting to join the military need to learn how to improvise - a survival technique ( also taught by the Scouts). The cardboard signs help teach that & convey they same message as the bought already printed signs.

KimberlyD 2 years, 4 months ago

Right...if they were to join the military and ended up in combat a plastic signs the last thing they'd be worried about.

John 2 years, 4 months ago

Yesterday, I saw a seldom seen activity (that use to be commonplace). This was two young boys about 10 years old playing in a front yard from about 10:30 AM until 5:00 PM. They were doing hand springs, somersaults, flips, etc. on a makeshift pummel horse & landing pit. Beats the heck out of watching TV, playing on the computer, talking on the cell or just "chilling" with an iPod Yep, they won't have a weight issue.

KimberlyD 2 years, 4 months ago

I entertained myself hours on end roller skating up and down the driveway. I lived in West rockdale when I was younger around "Wayne Williams" time and wasn't allowed to venture out because of him and the children he was molesting/murdering. when I got tired of the skates I rode my bike or foot powdered scooter up and down the yard til time for dinner. I wasn't good at the handsprings, etc but did get my outside play time...yard ball, trampolines, the list goes on and on. I had my video games (atari and nintendo) but got plenty of exercise...

heresyafacts 2 years, 4 months ago

Regarding the cats: if you obtain a trap from the Humane Society, it would solve the problem in a short period of time, esp if you have as many cats as you say, though the more humane and better solution would be for you and your neighbors to spay/neuter pets and strays in the area, as we did in our neighborhood. I have bird feeders, two fat lazy pet cats (spayed/neutered) who aren't interested in the bird feeders, and zero problems with strays. Put the feeders in an open area away from shrubs for extra protection for birds. You can spay/neuter ferals (and pets) for cheap at Lifeline in DeKalb (http://lifelineanimal.org/) or from various other nonprofits in the metro -- I think there's one in Newton, ask around. Owners of cats should not let them run around multiplying, I agree.

jjhayden3rd 2 years, 4 months ago

Where were you righteous defenders of the constitution when G.W. Bush was putting people in jail without charging them for any crime? Where were you when the special political office was set up in the Pentagon to direct the invasion of Iraq? Where were you when the President, the Vice President and his political officer revealed the name of a serving C.I.A. undercover agent and got who knows how many people killed? Where were you when 5 members of the Supreme Court violated everyone’s civil rights by overturning the peoples’ votes and selected the President? Before we accuse Obama for trumped-up charges how about we arrest and try the real war criminals for torturing captives?

jwm1955 2 years, 4 months ago

I am so glad that those people was arrested that could have caused more killings of the Americans on our soil. Don't get me wrong I like to drink clean water and see trees but you liberals and tree huggers sure are missing up this country. Ya'll give money to people that are able to work free so they won't go and get a job. During the deppression some people clean up horse **** , dug ditches for the water lines so that we could drink water out of the pipes. Some of you people would never made out of the deppression, you people do not even know what hard work is, what bunch of wimps you liberals are.

KimberlyD 2 years, 4 months ago

To the editor's response about the "missing" paper: don't you know that you should recognize their voice? I'm sure the voicemail he left did not indicate that he leave his name, phone number or possibly his address?? DuH!!!! EPIC FAIL of the phone poll. that's too funny and I loved the editor's response!!

comensense1234 2 years, 4 months ago

You poke fun at the issue of the cows getting out and causing accidents. But when someone gets killed, or heaven forbid a child because the owner is to lazy to walk his fence line then you will undestand why we need an effective ANIMAL CONTROL unit

Just like the PITT BULL issue there should be heavy fines for being stupid. And just so you know you are protected by law if a pitt bull is threating your property or maybe your child. So dont call the Sheriifs Office, Animal control will not come out after hours or weekends until after the damage is done. Shoot the dog if your in danger.

KimberlyD 2 years, 4 months ago

The cows have never gotten out before. I think some kids might've let them out as a mean prank. Or the cows may have "broken out."

wrcampbell 2 years, 3 months ago

You need to try spellchecker. Copy and paste your documents in a word processing program before submitting them. This goes for everyone. I am tired of seeing incorrect spelling. Please do not immortalize your ignorance in print! Sincerely, PIT BULL

momofone 2 years, 4 months ago

Just a question for commonsense1234, who said that the farmer was to lazy to walk his fence line? No one that I read about. I did read that the cows must have been spooked. I don't know about you, but when a cow is spooked and they want to run through a fence, I don't think the barbwire is going to stop them any. Don't blame the farmer for nature. I don't think Animal control would have been able to do much about it either. If you don't have any suggestions on how to fix the issue-then darling you are just part of the problem.

To the poll person who was complaining about the cats in his neighborhood, wow! I have two indoor cats that are both neutered and declawed. I am a reponsible pet owner (although I know that I will get complaints about having them declawed) and I happen to have a bird feeder in my yard. I have never seen any cats come by for a buffett in my yard and we have neighborhood outdoor cats. Perhaps it is that you are attracting the cats in some way to your yard? But then again, I live in the country and not in the city.